1/18/11

Hemet, California

We arrived in Hemet yesterday.  I've been in touch with my friend, Lisa, and it looks like we'll get together with her and her husband on Friday and Saturday.  I'm so excited to see her new place.  For today, we just relaxed mostly.  I spent the day sewing, and I'm happy to say that I finished my January UFO stitchery and star blocks.  I'll be posting them separately.  Later on this evening, we went over to the pool.  The weather was so warm and beautiful here today.

Mike took the time to order the part we need to fix the "landing gear" on the trailer, which I've been mistakenly referring to as a "jack."  Turns out that our low batteries probably caused it to burn up.  I don't really understand the ins and outs of electricity, but from what Mike tells me, low voltage from low batteries caused too much current to flow to the motor and burned it up.  Got that?  In any case, the part is on the way, and in the meantime, he's replaced the batteries so that they won't burn up the new motor when he replaces it.  That just leaves the tire that needs to be replaced, and maybe then there won't be any more problems.  I doubt that, but one can hope, right?

George has been enjoying getting out for a walk in the evenings after the sun sets and people retire to their trailers.  He's pretty timid still, and so he's much happier when there is a minimum of activity outside.  Tonight, however, we happened upon a cat, and that just about made him crazy.  They sat and stared at one another for the longest time without me realizing it.  I got bored standing still with him for so long and so I reached down to pick him up.  He let out spitting and hissing in a way that is not characteristic for him.  When I realized there was another cat, I took him back to the trailer and put him inside.  Those of you with cats will understand that a cat fight was the last thing I needed.  He sat just inside the door for the rest of the evening worrying over this interloper.  The cat outside had the audacity to walk right up on our trailer steps and look in the door.  The utter gall!  It gave George something to do for the rest of the evening protecting his family from this strange cat.  And it was a Manx cat, so it had no tail!  Enough said. 

Tomorrow we're going to take care of more errands.  We still need to replace the tire, and we need groceries.  So, since we're going into town anyway, I'm going to visit the one quilt shop I've been able to find here.  There is also a JoAnn's and a Michael's, but only one actual quilt shop that I can find.  I'll tell you more after I see it.

2 comments:

quiltzyx said...

I'm glad that George is on guard duty to protect y'all!
Good boy!!

Kelsey said...

So, my cat has never liked strange cats. The first time I met her at the PetsMart, she was absolutely terrified, and just clung to mu shoe the entire time, and looked up at me with her big green eyes in a way that said "protect me?". Her big brother didn't seem to mind (though he is a bigger pansy when it comes to about anything else - vacuumes, anythign with wheels, new people, a sudden sneeze nearby - all lead to him sprinting under the bed). But since leaving the PetsMart, they never had to see another cat in the following 2 years. Then one morning we heard this terrifying shriek. My husband and I both jumped out of bed and ran to the other room - we had a newborn and thought he might have gotten something caught in the crib or something and was hurt. But Paul was fine in his Grandma's arms - the noise had come from the front of the apartment. What we discovered was that the cat in the apartment above us had fallen from its second story balcony, right in front of the window my cat was sitting at. A cat literally feel from the sky right in front of her. And she had just freaked out and made a noise that sounded like a scream. Her tail was a big pouf, and she even hissed the first couple of times my husband and I tried to touch her. The cat outside was fine, and after a few minutes, figured out he could climb a nearby tree to get back to the balcony. Then, it also realized it could get down that tree.... We have since named the upstairs cat "Ceiling cat', after the popular internet meme, and he comes to terrorize our poor cats by sitting right on the window ledge outside our various windows at least once a day, sometimes more. It just sits there while my cat throws a fit and her brother meows at it. My husband has chased him off several times, but he still comes back. Now that is a cat with some gall. :P

On the up side, my cat is learning to cope with it a bit better. Once she actually jumped at the window and scared the other cat off - that was a proud moment for her. :P But we still regularly get woke by a big kerfuffle and have to go chase off Ceiling Cat.

Silly cats.