12/19/10

Design Wall Monday, December 20, 2010

I worked mainly on Christmas presents this week.  When I got those finished, I started chipping away at my BOM's that I'm behind on.  For my daughter-in-law, I made a little case for her iPod:


It has a pocket on the back for her headphones:



I made this one from a tutorial I found on the Better Homes & Gardens website.  Then, since they are both Oregon State Beaver football fans, I decided to make each of them something to wear to football games in the fall.  For Mae, I made a "deep pocket scarf" that I found on Delia Creates' blog:



And for Erik, I made a hat based loosely on a tutorial I found on So You Think You're Crafty.  (I really like that blog.)  The tutorial is for a little boy's hat, and since Erik is a grown man, I had to mess with it a little to make it work:



It's kind of silly, but I still think he'll like it for the game.  Beaver fans are a rowdy bunch! 

Then for my husband, I took a stab at embroidering a t-shirt with his yellow Corvette and his license tag, "SO YELO"  This picture isn't very good.  The embroidery looks terrible in the picture.  If you've ever tried to machine embroider a t-shirt, then you know it isn't easy to keep the puckers at bay.  It's not too bad, and the lettering is straight, despite how it looks in this pic:



His car looks just like this one!  I bought the digitized design from someone on Etsy and added the lettering myself.  I have two more t-shirts to do the same design for him (different color shirts), but I want him to see this one first to make sure he likes it, and to make sure I have the placement right.  I had so much trouble with this because my thread kept breaking.  I was cursing the thread, and then got the bright idea to change the needle.  My breakage problems vanished.  Duh.  I wish I had thought to do that earlier, but this is a good first try.  I want to make sure he likes it before I mess up any more t-shirts.

When all that was done, I got back to my quilting and got another block done on my Checkerboard Flowers quilt.  I finished this block, called "Rose Spray":



And got started on the "Batchelor's Buttons" block:


After I finish this one, I still have one more to do to be all caught up.  The quilt will look like this when it's finished:



I have yet to receive the bottom four and the center blocks from the vendor.  It's getting close!

We had such strange weather today.  We awoke to sunshine and cold temperatures.  Then the wind came up and the clouds blew in, and it started snowing!  George and Gracie know what to do on a day like today.


They just snuggle up together to keep warm.  (Can you see the scabs above George's right eye?  His right eye, the left side on your screen.  It hurts me to see him looking like this.  He does this to himself because he scratches when he gets itchy.)

So that's it for me this week.  It seems like I got quite a bit done.  And if you look at my Stash Report, one post down, you'll see that I finished the back for my tulip quilt too.  It's ready to be off to my long arm quilter now.

4 comments:

Dana Gaffney said...

Love the picture of the George and Gracie. A pile of cats is the perfect place to curl up on a cold day.

Mommarock said...

Poor kitty! The gifts are great.. I should start planning for next year as this year they got gift cards.. (so personal). I would like to make them something nice for next year, and hope that they appreciate it.

Kate said...

Cats are smart they know when to just cuddle up and rest. Unlike the rest of us madly scrabbling to get ready for Christmas. Great gitfts, they all look very fun!

Vivian said...

I've never seen this pattern. I love it.