9/4/26

Two Small Quilts

Good morning, my friends. It was another rainy day yesterday. There was a meme on Facebook from a Portland weatherman that said, "Hello darkness my old friend." It made me laugh. Yep...that's the Pacific Northwest for you. We're told we have at least another ten days of gray skies and rain off and on. Hopefully, summer will return, and we'll have good weather for our trip, but we should all pack our rain gear just in case.

As for yesterday's sewing, Sadie was my sewing helper. Together, we got a lot done.


The first thing I did was to sew a border on the Santa Quartet.


And then I gave it its final border. It ends up at 16 x 28 inches.


I’ll use this fabric on the back. It’s been in my stash of Christmas fabrics for a long time.


And I’ll use that same green from the inner border for the binding. I’m going to put this aside for now, but I’ll endeavor to get it finished so that I can use it this Christmas.


Okay, and then I turned my attention to the “Bunny Bait.” This was a free pattern from the Sewing Loft. I needed to sandwich it.  


And then I did some straight line quilting in the stripes of the carrots.


Here’s how that looks from the back. It felt like a bold choice to use that green thread. Usually, I’m trying to hide my quilting.


I’d done a Google search for a “line drawing of a carrot.” I found one kind of like this, and so I quilted carrots in the border.


All the way around, alternating the connecting swirl with each one. It just needed some swirls in the green carrot tops, and it was finished.


Here’s how it looks from the back.


There was barely enough time to get the binding sewn on, but sew it on I did.


Today I’ll probably be able to finish the hand stitching. It ends up at 18-1/2 inches square.

So that brings me to my list of WIPs. It’s a grocery shopping day today (drat), but there should still be some time for sewing. First on the list is to make the second row for the Butterfly Garden quilt. This is my adaptation of the Arcade Pattern  from Fabric Cafe. I’m making it one row at a time, and so I’m curious to see how it will look when I add another row. 


If I have any more time for sewing, I want to make another row for the Jawbeakers quilt. These blocks are fun to make, but the cutting takes quite a while.


The last time I talked about this quilt, I confused some folks by calling it “Jawbreakers.” The pattern is Gumballs but since I already made a quilt I’m calling “Gumballs,” 


I gave the green one a different name. Get it? Jawbreakers? Gumballs? How’re you gonna know which is which until you attempt to chew it? 

Okay…so the dreaded grocery shopping trip. It’s a short list today. We’re eating a lot of stuff from the garden right now, and so we don’t need a lot. I need to get out and check the garden too, but it’s been so wet. I’m hoping to get out there today. Things are probably not growing much in this cold wet weather.

So, off I go. Another busy day ahead. What are you doing to keep busy today?


No comments: