Good morning, my friends. We had another day of rain yesterday. Not as much as on Thursday, but still…a good amount. We had grocery shopping to do, but I wasn’t going anywhere until I had my slow-stitching session. I stitched up what I could in my hoop…
When the groceries were put away, I checked on the garden. Sadly, one of the giant sunflowers had fallen down in the rain. Another shorter one was leaning over too. The garden is looking a little bedraggled, but it’s still producing. I harvested another handful of green beans, some more cucumbers, and the first of the corn. Before walking away, I picked all the plums I could reach. They’re good eating right now.
Also, I happened to look out into the bee garden to see another newbie in the form of these black-eyed Susans.
Okay, so the corn: I husked it, and I was curious to see how my new tool worked.
In the past, I’ve done this with a knife. The problem is that the knife blade comes down hard on whatever surface you’re using…a plate or a bowl. That dulls the blade. Also, it throws corn kernels everywhere. This tool made it a little easier. I could do an ear in less than a minute.
Here’s how it looks from the back.
If there’s still time, I’ll make another row of blocks for the Jawbreakers quilt.
The cutting takes a long time for that project, and so a row of blocks will probably take a day or two.
It still threw corn everywhere, though. Giving this some thought, I ordered some 3-1/2 gallon zip-lock bags from Amazon. I’m thinking I can do this with my hands inside the larger bag and avoid getting kernels everywhere. The larger bags will be here within a few days, and I’ll give it another try. I’m happy with the tool, but I think my technique needs more work and more practice.
Okay, and it was late in the day by then. It was a good time to get going on the Bunny Bait binding. Within about an hour, I had it finished.
As I was packing things up, I looked out the window to see an evening visitor. Do you suppose she heard there were carrots inside?
Checking the calendar, it looks like I have a couple of easy housekeeping chores to do. There should be plenty of time for sewing. I want to make another row of blocks for the Butterfly Garden project. Those should go pretty fast. Already I’m looking ahead to our trip south for the winter, assuming we actually go this year. This would be a good take-along project. I could make up a kit with all the cutting for all the blocks and sew them together on the road.
Today or tomorrow, I’m going to bake some more muffins. We’ve been enjoying those for breakfast. The coming week is going to get busy as we prepre for our trip to Washington state. I’m going to need to do some cooking, and of course, there will be packing. Also, I’m getting my hair cut and colored on Tuesday and a pedicure on Thursday. I can’t go off without taking care of my grooming needs, can I?
It’s still gray and gloomy outside. We’re expecting the rain to continue off and on over the coming week. Still keeping our fingers crossed that we’ll get better weather for our trip.











3 comments:
Your Bunny Bait block is so cute. I love the oranges you used and the binding sets the whole thing off. So much fun!
I have some "volunteer" sunflowers with heads that have sagged down. The chickadees love them and have been hanging off the centers, collecting seeds, and taking them to break elsewhere. It's been fun to watch. I also have some bee balm that is finished blooming, but the hummingbirds aren't finished slurping nectar in the few that still have petals. Fall is fun!
I haven’t tried this, but I’ve read that cutting your corn in a tube/bundt pan (holding the corn cob on top of the centre ‘post’), collects all the kernels inside the pan. Just a thought. Your corn looks great! Candy
Post a Comment