9/13/26

Making Progress

Good morning, my friends. The past couple of days have been busy, but I found some time for sewing yesterday. So, what have I been up to? Oh...thanks for asking! 

A lot of my time has been spent cooking. I made some Frozen Breakfast Burritos, Egg Salad for sandwiches, a lasagna for dinner on the road, and some Jumbo Breakfast Cookies. They're essentially a peanut butter cookie, but they contain raisins, oatmeal and multi-grain Cheerios. We like them as an alternative to Clif bars when we're driving.


We like Clif bars too. Either a cookie or a Clif bar can serve as lunch while we're driving.

On the sewing front, I've continued to make progress on the Plaid Cat. The upper left corner has been stitched.


Then, I moved my hoop to the right and stitched that portion.


Now I've moved my hoop to the upper right corner. I'd hoped I could finish this before we leave, but I don't think that will happen. It'll come with us, and I'll have plenty of stitching to keep me busy while we're traveling.

Packing the food took a good part of the day, but I found myself with some extra time yesterday afternoon. Sadie was mad we hadn't been doing more sewing.


She helped me get Block 4 for "Across the Wide Missouri" ready for top-stitching. 

As I mentioned in my previous post, this block is dedicated to Dr. Bethenia Owens-Adair. Her marriage was arranged when she was just 14 years old. When the arrangements were made, she wrote this:


Her marriage lasted just four years, but with grit and industry, she was able to finish medical school. She became the first woman physician in Oregon. 

Here is a little blurb from the book that explains this block:


The fusing is finished, but there is quite a lot of top-stitching to do. I'll want to stitch all around the raw-edge of the applique, but there will be some machine-stitched embroidery as well. You can see where I've traced the lines in the bee skep and above the yarrow stems.


Hopefully, I can make some progress on this today, but I'm also packing my clothes and personal items. Fortunately, all the cooking is done, and I can focus on packing. Even if there's time for sewing, I doubt I can finish this piece before we go. Oh well. I suppose it will wait until we get back.

With all that’s going on, I won't blog again until we're on our way. If there's time, I'll blog after we reach Olympia. We have two nights there, and so if you don't hear from me tomorrow, then Tuesday for sure. 

3 comments:

Kate said...

You've been very busy. Hope you do get into the sewing room today. But I also get there comes that time where you get done what you have to and it's time to sit a spell and be sure you did get it all. Safe travels tomorrow.

abelian said...

Sleep well tonight, and have a fun trip! I've got cabin fever, and can hardly wait to see some new country. Dot

CathieJ said...

Enjoy your trip. I know that you will get time to stitch as you go. Safe travels.