9/8/26

A Good Day of Sewing

Good morning, my friends. It was a better day of weather yesterday. It clouded over for part of the day, but mostly, we saw sunshine and puffy white clouds. I've looked ahead to our first stop next week. If you can believe the forecast a week out, then we should have good weather for our first stop in Olympia next week. Fingers crossed.

There was just one chore on my list yesterday...mopping the floor. Mike helps me with that since there are some heavy things to move out of the way. He always does the sweeping too. With that out of the way, I could turn my attention to a day of nothing but sewing. My goal was to make another row of blocks for the Jawbreakers project. Sadie helped me cut the pieces.


Smitty stood by in case I needed a Mancat’s purrspective.


With their help, I cut all the pieces for the next row of blocks. This takes quite a while. Pawing through my scrap bins looking for pieces large enough takes at least as long as the cutting.


The next step was to sew those squares in the lower right into 20 half square triangles, and then trim them to size.


The next step is to sew together five 4-patches.


And then, I could lay them out with the rest of the pieces to be sewn into blocks.


When they were sewn together, they looked like this. I didn't mean to get all matchy-matchy with those half square triangle fabrics in the upper left corners of the blocks. It just worked out that way. If I'd tried to do that on purpose, I'm certain I would have sewn them together wrong.


Then, I could lay them all out with the first three rows. This is what I have so far.


My plan is to make two more rows of blocks. This is another one I can kit up to take along if we decide to go south this winter.

That seemed like a good place to stop for the day. Today I'm getting my hair cut and colored. Probably I won't get home until mid-afternoon. Next up on my list of WIPs is to make another block for "When the Cows Come Home." These are the blocks I have for this quilt so far:


They go together pretty fast, but I doubt I can finish it in a single day. Probably by tomorrow. And I'm thinking I'll have time to make one more block for "Across the Wide Missouri" before I need to devote all my time to getting organized for our trip. These are the blocks I have for that project so far.


The only other project on my list of WIPs is Northern Wilderness. Those blocks take some time, and so I won't attempt to work on those until we get back. And just FYI, knowing the coming week is going to be busy getting ready for our trip, I may skip some days of blogging. If you don't hear from me every day, know that I'll be back soon. With today being taken up with in-town things, I may not write tomorrow, but you can expect to hear from me again on Thursday for sure.

Until then, everybody stay out of trouble. It's not too soon to start your own preparations if you're coming with us to Washington. It's gonna be fun. Be sure to pack your rain gear though. It's the Pacific Northwest. It rains here.

No comments: