Good morning, my friends. Oh my...what a dire title to this post. Not to worry, but it's okay if you want to grrrrrrrrrrrrrr a little bit. Before we get to the grrrrrrrring part, though, let's take a look at the slow-stitching. Yesterday morning had me finishing the reindeer on the left side.
Okay...now for the part that might make you want to grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Please come with me to the garden. At first glance, I was happy to see one of the bean vines has climbed to the top of its pole.
But what's this I see? A hoof print!!! We have an 8-foot fence all around the garden. How did a deer get in here?
And deer droppings to boot! WTF?
When it blooms, it will look like this.
It was time for some lunch. After scooting around the perimeter of the garden on my butt for over an hour, a nap was in order. When I was ready to face the rest of the afternoon, I went to work on the quilting. For this, I'm just doing a kitty paw meander all around. It's hard to see, but there's a kitty paw in the middle of the image below.
Heading into the sewing room, it was time to trace the next block for "Home is Where My Flock Is." This is the 7th of 13 blocks. I'm kind of miffed because I ordered some sepia colored pens recently. When they arrived, their caps and markings all indicated sepia. Does that look like sepia to you? Oh well. It probably doesn't matter.
With that ready for stitching, it was time to return to the lemurs. Smitty helped me choose fabrics.
As a reminder, this is the photo I'm working from.
Finishing the stitching on this block seems like a good candidate for August's
When my hour was up, I kept going for another half hour. I wanted to make a little more progress on the face for the lemur on the left. If you're wondering about that large white piece, it will have several pieces over the top of it, and so I cut it larger than I needed. Some pieces overlap others, and I'm keeping the darkest pieces on top. That means the white is sometimes relegated to background status until the other pieces are added over the top. The lemurs are emerging, but there's still a long way to go on this.
Last night’s dinner wasn’t hard, but it took some time. Since the zucchini wars are gearing up, I’m getting a head start with this new recipe for Zucchini Soup with Dill and Sour Cream. It’s made with 2-1/2 lbs of zucchini and a pound of leeks. Then, it’s the usual kinds of seasonings. The vegetables are sauteed and then boiled in some chicken broth. Later, I added fresh spinach and fresh dill, and then pureed it. Some more zucchini and dill was set aside as a garnish. It was tasty enough. The most important thing about it is that it laid waste to around 10 medium-sized zucchini.
The recipe is from America’s Test Kitchens, and so you’d need a subscription to be able to open it. If you want the recipe, please don’t hesitate to email me, and I’ll be happy to send it to you. As a side dish, I made this copycat recipe of Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits. I’ve made this recipe before, and the biscuits are good. Since I never ate the biscuits at Red Lobster, I can’t say whether it’s a good copycat. Either way, they’re easy to make and they were a good accompaniment to the soup.
Okay. It’s just about time for some Sunday oatmeal blueberry pancakes. After breakfast, Ill get on with my day.














.jpg)








9 comments:
Sorry the deer have been such pests. Hopefully your zip ties will fix the problem. The lemurs are looking good! Hope you get in lots of sewing room time today.
hmmmm - I would have thought the kitties would have been able to keep the lemurs in line. Those biscuits certainly look good and you've reminded me that it's soon going to be time to scout out some good-sized zucchini so I can make relish. Too hot right now to contemplate it, but soon.
Your reindeer is absolutely adorable!
Double Dang. What will come next for those poor beans? As I recall, first was the crows, now the deer. On a positive side they are young and, the stalks look like they are quite healthy. Hopefully they will leaf out soon and flower for growing beans.
You have my sympathy on the deer war front. I've pretty much given up. It's impractical and too expensive to fence my yard, the deer repellent is expensive and doesn't last very long (I've tried multiple brands), and if not the deer, then the rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels, moles, and woodchucks have their own favorite parts of the salad bar. I gave up on vegtables long ago and now keep eliminating whatever becomes of meal of the day. The gardens are looking more sparse every year.
It's fun warching the lemurs emerge. Wonder what their favorite food might be.
Pat
Bummer on the garden. We've been having rabbits run straight through our garden fencing. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't witnessed it. The projects are coming along nicely.
Those beans must be mighty tasty for all that effort of getting under that wire fence! Grrr. Those lemurs are amazing!
Your embroidery is lovely and those lemurs are just stunningly realistic! Sorry the deer are munching on your garden. Early yesterday morning I was making my coffee and doing my vocal warmups before heading off to church for choir, and my husband noticed that some deer had come right up to our fence and were staring in the direction of our house, like they were summoned and confused by the strange noises I was making! :-). Hahaha! Like I'm a middle aged Snow White, luring all the woodland creatures...
Such an interesting line-up of creative projects. Have fun with your embroidery. Your garden intruders were certainly annoying, but you should have the better of them now. The worst intruders I ever had were snails: the morning after planting hostas I looked out to see a harvest of "combs", they looked like. Indeed, the undigestible parts of the hosta!
Post a Comment