Good morning, my friends. There's a lot of ground to cover this morning, so let's just get to it, shall we? First, I'll tell you about what happened here at home, and then I'll tell you about our Thursday sight-seeing excursion with Erik and Mae. Sound good? I hope so because that's how this is gonna go. I have a lot of pictures. Feel free to top off your coffee before we start.
The garden needed hoeing after being neglected for nearly a week, and the flowers wowed me. Since I hadn't seen them in a while, a lot had changed. The bees were crawling all over the many echinacea flowers that bloomed while we were gone.
Their fuzzy bodies made me want to pet them, but I resisted the urge.
In the vegetable garden, the sunflowers are beginning to bloom in abundance. In the image below, I've already shown you the flower on the left. The one on the right is from the same seeds. This is the "Infrared Mix," meaning a mix of colors, including some red.
This one is the Procut Gold Lite.
This next one isn't quite open, but it is the Procut White Lite
All of the zinnias are blooming now. There are more coming, and I don't know if there will be more colors.
This was the first one to bloom. It gets prettier every time I look at it.
And there were some newbies to the bee garden. I haven't tried to identify any of these.
There's a pickling cucumber about the size of my thumb. There are others too, but this was the largest one I saw. They still need some time before they'll be ready for harvest.
Also, I harvested one more zucchini that tried to hide from me. I have enough zucchini now that I've added a dish to next week's menu that will use all of them. Gotta stay ahead of the game, you know.
There was still much to do on the home front. I needed to go into town, and I needed to finish unpacking. With all of that going on, I didn't have a lot of time for sewing, but I stitched up Tiny Treasure #68. This one has stem stitch, stem fill, straight stitch, and lazy daisy.
And I made some more progress on my quilt binding, turning the third corner. I should finish this easily today.
Okay, and before I talk about our day on Thursday, I wanted to tell you about this quilt we saw at the restaurant where we had dinner on Wednesday evening. We were nearly finished with our dinner when I realized this was a quilted wall-hanging.
Okay, so the weather cleared overnight. Thursday was cloudy and cool, but the sun was shining by day's end. We had a bit of a drive to get to the Washington coastline. As we drove along, we were enticed to take a little side trip to see the historic
Gray's River Covered Bridge.
We turned off the main road and drove about two miles to see it. Along the way, we passed this rustic barn. As you know, I always enjoy seeing the barns. Finding one with a quilt block is a special treat.
This is what Wikipedia tells us about the bridge:
The Grays River Covered Bridge is a one-lane covered bridge over the Grays River in western Wahkiakum County, Washington. It is the only covered bridge still in use as a public highway in Washington State.
The bridge was built in 1905 in order to allow horse and wagon agricultural traffic to cross the river. Hans P. Ahlberg, whose dairy farm spanned both sides of the river, was instrumental in getting county commissioners to authorize the project, which was built on his property by the Ferguson & Huston company of Astoria, Oregon. The bridge was covered three years later in 1908 to preserve the expensive wooden trusses from the ravages of the area rains. The roof of the covered bridge was originally built of board and batten cedar siding with a capped tin roof.
So Erik drive the van across. The rest of us walked.
Here's how it looks inside. That's Mae up ahead.
From the other end, it looks like this:
And that was a fun little diversion of about 30 minutes. After that, we continued on our way. We were driving parallel to the Columbia River. We could see ocean-going vessels in the river awaiting a pilot boat to accompany them down the river to whatever port city they would end up. There are several ports along the way in Woodland, Longview, and Portland. There may be others, but those three spring to mind.
We passed by the tall scary bridge that would take us across the river to Astoria, Oregon.
By then, we were nearing the westerly part of our journey. When we started heading north, we were driving alongside the Pacific Ocean.
Whoo hoo! A tunnel. If you travel with us regularly, then you know we always take pictures of tunnels.

This is what Wikipedia tells us about the Cape Disappointment Lighthouse:
In 1848, it was recommended a lighthouse be located at Cape Disappointment in what was then the Oregon Territory. An appropriation of $53,000 was made in 1852. After the lighthouse was designed, a first-order Fresnel lens was ordered. When the lens arrived it was found to be too large for the tower. Rebuilding the tower took an additional two years. The first lighthouse in the Pacific Northwest was finally lit on October 15, 1856. In addition to the light, the station was equipped with a 1,600-pound (730 kg) bell powered by a striking mechanism.
The lighthouse had several shortcomings. The fog bell was sometimes inaudible due to the roar of ocean waves. It was discontinued in 1881 and moved to West Point Light in Seattle, and eventually to Warrior Rock Light near Portland. Also, the light was not visible to ships approaching from the north. This problem was corrected by building a lighthouse at North Head, two miles from Cape Disappointment.
In a minute, I'll tell you about the North Head Lighthouse, but first, let's visit Waikiki Beach. (Yes, that is the name of this beach in Washington.) It's a wide beach and seems to collect a lot of driftwood. There's a Coast Guard station nearby, and this area is used for training. Coast Guardsmen are sometimes dropped off here and use the driftwood to build a shelter for themselves in the event they are ever stranded and in need of rescue. The image below shows only about half the expanse of this driftwood covered beach.
Looking west at the water, we were mesmerized by the movements of these pelicans fishing in the water...
This is what Wikipedia tells us about the North Head Lighthouse.
North Head Lighthouse is an active aid to navigation overlooking the Pacific Ocean from North Head, a rocky promontory located approximately two miles north of Cape Disappointment and the mouth of the Columbia River, near Ilwaco, Pacific County, in the U.S. state of Washington.
The North Head Light was constructed in 1897 after mariners complained that the Cape Disappointment Lighthouse, installed in 1856, was obscured to ships approaching from the north by the headland extending southwest from the light. The new lighthouse was designed by Carl Leick, with a 65-foot (20 m) tower set on a 130-foot (40 m) cliff directly facing the ocean and clearly visible to ships traveling from the north.
The first-order lens at the Cape Disappointment Light was moved to North Head and was first lit at its new location in 1898. In 1935, the first-order lens was replaced by a fourth-order lens. That lens was eventually replaced by an aerobeacon in the 1950s, and later by a modern optic mounted outside the tower. A Crous-Hinds aero marine beacon was put into use at the lighthouse August 1, 1961, and the light was automated in December of that year. A VRB-25 aerobeacon was installed in 1999.
The image below is an informational sign that can give you some idea the orientation of the two lighthouses.
On the rocks below we saw a flock of cormorants.
Looking south, we could see the state of Oregon off in the distance, and the confluence of the Columbia River with the Pacific Ocean.
Here's a sign showing how the area once looked. Mike and I often camp at Cape Disappointment State Park, and I can assure you that we are camping on dry land with plenty of beach between the campground and the ocean.
There were plenty of blooming wildflowers. Below are two colors of sweet peas.
And this area is thick with Sitka spruce. They are big trees. The redwoods are bigger, but the Sitka spruce has to be a close second in size.
We were all getting hungry by then, and so we decided to head into Astoria for a late lunch. Here, we approached the tall scary bridge (the
Astoria-Megler Bridge) from the other direction.
Okay, hold onto your hats. Here we go.
Looking east, we could see more vessels awaiting a pilot boat.
Just before reaching the Oregon side, we went up and over the tall, scary part of the bridge.
We had some lunch, and then had to decide how to get back to our campsite. We had a choice of returning the way we came, or we could take the Westport Ferry back to Puget Island. The ferry was the better choice, but it ran on the quarter hour. According to our navigation devices, we could make it there with just four minutes to spare...if traffic cooperated...and if nothing else delayed us. We managed to get there on time, and we were last in the line of cars waiting to board the ferry.
Cars were just beginning to disembark from the other direction.
So phew! We made it aboard the "Oscar B."
I was sitting in the backseat for this picture, but here we are...safely on board.
Looking back...there's where we came from.
It was only a 12 minute ride across the river, but we got out and took in the fresh air and aquatic views anyway.
Along the way a sailboat and a tugboat crossed our path.
That's where we're headed.
Our navigation unit was still speaking out loud at this point and it told us to "Disembark the ferry." That gave us a chuckle.
Okay, and here we are back in Washington again.
These flowers were growing out of some driftwood. Not sure what it is.
On the short drive back to the campground, we saw a few more rustic barns.
This next one could be seen from our campsite.
After taking that picture, I noticed some California poppies blooming all around me.
Okay, so things are pretty much back to normal here. We'll have our usual Sunday morning pancakes, and there are a couple of housekeeping chores on today's agenda. (I've done no housekeeping at all for about a week.) My goal for the day is to finish the quilt binding, and then there should be time to get busy top-stitching the latest Northern Wilderness blocks.
In tomorrow's post, I'll tell you about our journey home, and then we'll be caught up to the present day. For now, I'll leave you to your day.
1 comment:
Ok, finally here! We upgraded our phones yesterday and when I tried to comment it wanted sign in that didn’t work. Got out and back to comment again and it worked. Oy vey!
Looks like a great trip made more special having family along. The steep bridge is like some I have had in nightmares! 🫣 Gasp! 🫢 Beautiful area.
Post a Comment