Good morning, my friends. We have one more day of time traveling to do, and then we'll be caught up. It seems a good way to start a Monday, doesn't it? So, let's start with what happened here at home yesterday, and then I'll tell you about the final day of our camping trip.
It was time to fill the birdfeeders, and it was time to water the flowers. Of course, my mornings lately have all start with me checking in on the green beans. They're doing a pretty good job of climbing their poles at this point, but there are still a few stragglers that need redirecting. Two plants have started flowering. Can eensy-weensy beans be far behind?
Also in that image above, you can see right below the flower where a critter took a bite out of the vine. This worried me significantly. There are several other areas in the garden that have been similarly gnawed upon. A few leaves were bitten on the zucchini, and one of the zucchini had a bite out of it. Also, a few leaves were bitten on the cucumbers. We believe raccoons are to blame for this, but they have not been back after the one night when this happened. Apparently, they were unhappy with the items on the menu.
Also, a few more sunflowers are opening. I forget the name of this one, but I have it marked, if I'm not too lazy to bend over and find it. Maybe when it opens all the way.
I believe this next one is called Ring of Fire. When it opens, it will have a dark red ring in the center. And if you're like me, just reading that name will give you an ear worm.
Gazing out across the bee garden, I'm pretty happy at all the new color I'm seeing. The bachelor buttons are blooming in profusion, and this red flower is a newbie. The bee garden is planted by broadcasting a wildflower mix over the prepared ground. Next year, I've decided to be more selective about what seeds I choose. I'd really love to get some California poppies growing here.
Before I came back inside, I harvested another zucchini and four more tomatoes, including the first yellow tomato.
On the sewing front, I stitched up Tiny Treasure #69. This one has stem stitch, stem fill, satin stitch, and straight stitch.
Also, I finished the binding on Shop Hop 3.0, and that makes a finished quilt. It ends up at 65 x 53 inches.
Here's a look at the back.
And this was my project for July's
Also in yesterday's sewing, I was able to finish the top-stitching on the "Glacier" block for the Northern Wilderness project.
For this, I'm using a monofilament thread and a microtex 60/8 needle to stitch right along the edges of the applique.
Okay, so let's turn our attention to our drive home from our camping trip. We'd always planned to eat breakfast in Cathlamet, Washington, on our way out of town. We broke camp and headed back to the mainland. We parked at the City Dock, which was kind of fun. Everything in this little town is very old.
Okay, and you guys have been really good about staying out of trouble this trip, but I feel I must warn you about this. Here's how you could die today. Please stay out of the water.
From where we were standing, we could get a good look at the bridge out to Puget Island.
Turning in the other direction, I liked how this boat looked. But those of you with sharp eyes might be able to see the bird's nest just above and to the left of that letter "B" on the boat.
Zooming in, it turned out to be an osprey nest.
As we walked up the hill to the restaurant, this sign gave me a chuckle.
We had a very filling breakfast and then headed for home, paralleling the Cowlitz River most of the way.
Eventually we crossed back over the Interstate Bridge and into our home state.
Traffic was heavy getting home, and it seemed as if it took forever. Actually, we were home around 1:00 p.m. Greeting us was this red-tailed hawk sitting far out in our field. I've seen this bird a few times. These must be its happy hunting grounds, and there are plenty of small furry mammals to choose from.
And that pretty much brings us up to date.
Today is a grocery shopping day, but that's the only thing on the day's agenda. My next quilting project is queued up. I'll be quilting the "Kittens" quilt next. This one should be pretty easy. I already have some ideas about how to quilt it, and I'm hoping to get started on that today.
When time ran out yesterday, I left the "Blueberries" block needle down, and I expect to finish this today, for sure.
When that's finished, I will reach the "Quilter's Choice" section of my white board. I've decided to make an art quilt this time. These are always approached with some trepidation, but I'm going to attempt to make a quilt from this image of some lemurs we saw when we visited the Florida Aquarium in Tampa, Florida some years back.
It seems the lemurs' time has come...ready or not. I'll build the lemurs on a teflon pressing sheet, and then I'm kind of at a loss what the background will be. I'll figure something out. For now, I'll just focus on the lemurs. It's best not to get too far ahead of myself on this kind of a project.
All right then. Grocery shopping is next. Our list isn't too long, and so I'm hopeful we can get in and out pretty quickly. I hope your week will get off to a better start than ours. I realize some of you are probably getting weird, nervous, and thirsty waiting for some news of the kitties. Everyone on the kitty front is just fine. Hopefully, I can get them to help me with my sewing today.
No comments:
Post a Comment