7/30/26

Lemme at the Lemurs

Good morning my friends. It was a productive day yesterday. There were about a half dozen simple to-do's on my list, and I had everything done by lunch time. After that, I could get back to my sewing with no interruptions...except to let cats in and out. If you know cats, then you know they are always, always, always on the wrong side of the door.

My first stop was the garden to check the beans. It was the first day I didn't have to redirect any of them. I harvested two more zucchinis and another tomato. The zinnias are putting out more flowers.


In this next photo, the new flowers on the right were in shadow, and so I used fill flash for this photo. It blew out the colors of the flowers on the left. Oh well. You get the idea.


Back inside, I went to work on the final Tiny Treasure. This is Tiny Treasure #72. It has stem stitch, stem fill, backstitch and basket weave stitch.


Now all 72 Tiny Treasures are complete. I know what I'm going to do with these, but they'll have to wait their turn behind a few other projects I want to work on first.


And then I quilted the next row of Kittens.


These go pretty fast.


Last one of the day.


Now I've turned the quilt upside down to keep the bulk on the table, and I'll start with the second row of kittens. Thankfully, this quilting can be done in any direction without having to turn my brain upside down.


From there, I was ready to take the first steps on the Lemurs project. Sadie was my emotional support cat as I started this scary project.


As a reminder, here's my original photograph.


When I'm doing animals, I like to start with the eyes, and it seemed the most logical place to start was with the lemur on the right. I'll work my way from right to left on this project. With the one-hour rule in place, I started a timer for one hour. I went just a few minutes over because I wanted to try to finish the whole face. Here's what I have for my first day's effort.


So far, so good. The biggest challenge with these is going to be finding the proper shades of tans and grays. The lemurs have both colors in their fur, and the gradations are barely visible. For some colors, I'm using just a tiny spot of a larger more colorful piece of fabric. Now that I've started, I feel less apprehensive about it, but no more confident. Hopefully, future efforts will help boost my confidence.

Today is going to be kind of messed up. This afternoon I’ll return to my dermatologist for some more work on a spot he biopsied on my shoulder. It’s a basal cell. Nothing to worry about, but it is bothersome to have to deal with it. That’s probably going to take up most of my afternoon. I need to make a stop at the grocery store afterward. Thankfully, we’ll be having leftovers for dinner. There might be time for some sewing today. Maybe not. For sure, I’ll be taking the first stitches on Block 11 for the Snowmen & Reindeer. 


This was a take-along project for our camping trip, and then I never even touched it.

If there’s other time for sewing, the Kittens quilt is still my top priority. If there’s any more time, I’ll get back to the lemurs. For all they cause me angst, once I’ve started on one of these quilts from a photo, it’s hard to walk away from it.

Okay then…busy day ahead. Time to get going. Stay out of trouble today, okay?


1 comment:

abelian said...

I really like your lemur face. Doing something like that would terrify me, but I've seen your previous projects, and I know it will turn out well. Dot in NC