4/9/24

Seeing the Light

Good morning, my friends! So y'all are probably wanting to know if the clouds cleared so we could see the eclipse. I'm as happy as I can be to report that we did! It happened in the sweetest spot of a break in the clouds. When I left you yesterday, it was all clouded over, and we despaired about being able to see anything. 

The eclipse wasn't supposed to begin in our area until around 12:38 p.m. I had a few things I wanted to do in the morning. At the top of my list was to press and take a picture of completed Block #2 for the Grandpa's Bridges quilt.

Completing this block was my goal for April's


I'll link up there when the party starts at the end of the month. In the meantime, these are the two blocks I have for this quilt so far.


Also, I still had oranges from Escondido. With the three of us here for the eclipse, it seemed like a good time to put together another Orange Upside Down Cake for Two...only in this case, it easily fed three.


And then we sat around waiting with fingers crossed until they cramped and we couldn't uncross them. And then...the magic happened. It started...


And the view was cloud-free throughout the 4+ minutes of totality.

See that little spot of light about about the 5:00 point? When it moved past the point of totality, the brightest flash appeared right there. What a complete thrill!

It was a happy thing we were able to fulfill our pact made when we saw the eclipse in 2017. Here I am with my friend, Judy. Judy took the best pictures. She had all kinds of fancy camera equipment and fancy filters set up.


When the clouds cleared, we were so excited. We just donned our glasses and looked up.


So, of course, we made another pact to see the eclipse in 2044. It could happen! Certainly it's a worthy reason to stay alive into our 90's.

Okay, so we move along today. We're heading to Grapevine, Texas. We're only hoping to see a couple of friends there. Life circumstances have gotten in the way for other folks. Either way, we'll spend three days in Grapevine. I have some recommendations for good Texas BBQ, and we'll indulge while we're there. When we move along from Grapevine, we'll have just one more day in Texas before crossing the state line into Arkansas. It will be a new state for the map on the side of the RV. I'm telling you, the thrills never stop here at the Traveling Three Cats Ranch.

And now...breakfast. We're in no hurry to be on our way this morning. Our drive is only about 100 miles, and we cannot check-in to the next place until 2:00 p.m. We'll hang out here until after lunch, and then be on our way. (I like slow mornings.) I'll spend some time on my slow-stitching after breakfast, and that will bring us to our get-ready-to-go time. 

If you were hoping to view the eclipse, then I hope the heavens cooperated for you. And, if not, then I hope my pictures will give you an idea what the spectacle was like. It was kind of fun being here where there was a small crowd and to hear the cheering as it reached totality. But the trip isn't over. We still have a lot of work to do down the road. Buckle up, my friends.

15 comments:

Barbara said...

There is no science in this world like physics. Nothing comes close to the precision with which physics enables you to understand the world around you. It's the laws of physics that allow us to say exactly what time the sun is going to rise. What time the eclipse is going to begin. What time the eclipse is going to end. ~ Neil deGrasse Tyson

Karen said...

I'm so glad the clouds co-operated with you too! We are in Plano, just a tad north of Dallas. A good barbecue place in Grapevine is Meat U Anywhere. Funny name but just as good, if not better as some of the more famous places around here. Barbecue and Bluebonnets-- we do both well, lol!

abelian said...

Yay! The clouds cooperated! All of your blog readers had their fingers crossed for you - that must have helped. We also had clear blue sky for our 75% eclipse here. I love Judy’s T-shirt. Dot in NC

Sara said...

Yay - Texas must have been mostly a good place to view the eclipse. My niece in Troy TX had a good view, and 2 friends who traveled to Dallas area to join family members there also said they had great views.

Your orange upside down cake looks delicious. Enjoy your next stop!

Lyndsey said...


We are roughly 6 hours ahead of Texas and I was very relieved to get home from work in time to switch on the BBC news channel and settle down to watch the eclipse. Even on the feed it looked as if Texas would have too much cloud but I was as excited as you when the sky cleared. Not as good as watching the eclipse live but better than not seeing it. The UK will have an eclipse in 2026 so it not too long to wait. I am excited to see what other wonders you have planned for the rest of your trip. The trip so far has been wonderful (and I don't have to do the driving.)

Susan C said...

Only about 75% eclipse here in SC but still an interesting event. Our local weatherman shared a satellite image that showed the moon’s shadow as it moved across the country. Fascinating! My brother and his wife are contemplating a trip to Portugal or Iceland to view the 2026 eclipse. I’m volunteering to go along. 😊. I’m so glad the skies cooperated for you. My sister in the Rochester, NY area had cloudy skies so, although it got dark, they were unable to see the eclipse itself.

Nancy said...

We did have the clouds clear during the partial eclipse but I didn’t get to see any of it as I had an eye doctor appointment. I was in a dark little cubicle of a room. Oh well life got in the way.

Vicki W said...

So glad you had such a good view! We had a tiny earthquake instead. LOL!

Anonymous said...

So glad you got to see the eclipse and the totality! We had high thin clouds but could see the sun and the moon shadow as it crossed over it. About 95% totality. We didn't get as dark as I thought we would. Landscape solar lights and some streetlights came on. But we experienced it and that's good enough.

The Weather Channel said big storms were forecast to develop after the eclipse in Texas (not because of it). Did that happen? I see Texas is having really severe weather tonight. Hope all is well where you are.

Teresa F.

Christine said...

Great photos and well done on the stitching.

piecefulwendy said...

Glad the clouds parted so you could see the eclipse. Great photos. We had complete cloud cover, although the light darkened just a bit, and I thought it got chillier.

Kate said...

You got some great photos. The clouds broke at just the right time for totality. By the time we'd headed back to where we were staying, it was raining. Hope the drive to Grapevine went smoothly, traffic was nuts right after the eclipse.

Jenny said...

How exciting to view the eclipse, and even more so to see this one with your lovely friend again.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Glad you got to see the eclipse and that the cloud cover went away in time. Here it was pretty much a non-event. We weren't in the path of totality and it basically just looked like a typical cloudy day. We didn't have glasses so didn't make the effort to go out to see it.

Anne-Marie said...

Congrats on completing your goal. I swear I commented back around eclipse day, but guess not. LOL.