4/10/24

Grapevine, Texas

Good morning, my friends. I hope you slept well. We find ourselves in Grapevine, Texas, this morning. It looks like a fun town to snoop around.


Backing up to our departure from Whitney yesterday, I had plenty of time for some slow stitching. The kitten's head is finished.


Now I've moved my hoop to encompass most of the body.


That's where I'll pick it up today sometime. 

We waited as long as we thought we should in order to arrive at check-in time in Grapevine. I didn't take many pictures yesterday because it rained most of the way along our route. As we drove through Hillsboro, just a few miles down the road from where we stayed, we passed yet another courthouse. It was too wet through the windshield for me to capture it, but I found this one in the public domain

(Image credit: "Hill County Courthouse (Hillsboro, Texas)" 
by cmh2315flis licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0.)

Whoever took that picture had a nice sunny day to work with. On the other hand, this is what I got when I tried to take a picture of the train depot in Grapevine. 


Sigh. I was able to do a little better with this structure. It appears like an old train depot, but now serves as the visitor center for Grapevine.


We drove through what was designated as the "Historic Section" of Grapevine on our way to the campground. It looks like a fun place to just walk down the street. If there's time, we'll do just that.


I forget what this building is. I barely caught it between wipes.


Mainly, I was interested in this figure on top. Is it a miner? A settler? A cowboy? Not sure.


We were just a few miles away from the campground. The kitties were happy to be here. Finally, they could get a little shut-eye.



As for us, it was a harrowing day of driving with the rain and traffic through the Dallas-Fort Worth area. We were very glad to be off the road. I was able to catch up with my friend, Paul, from high school, who lives in the Flower Mound area. We were hoping to meet up with Paul while we're here. As it turns out, he'll be picking us up at 4:00 p.m. this afternoon and taking us to Dealey Plaza, where President John F. Kennedy was assassinated. I'd forgotten the link to Dallas until Paul mentioned it. It's a sad moment in our country's history, but it might be interesting to see the place.

After Dealey Plaza, Paul has suggested the Pecan Lodge as a place to get some good Texas BBQ. We're looking forward to that. Already, Paul and I could barely get off the phone. We have a lot of catching up to do. It will be the first time we've seen one another since the day he graduated from high school (a year ahead of me). 

We want to get an early start this morning. There's a quilt shop in town recommended by my friend, Lenelda, who lives in Fort Worth. We won't be able to meet up with Lenelda this trip as she's caring for an elderly family member right now. Also, we'll do some grocery shopping, and then Mike needs to stop at an auto parts store. The new brackets to replace the broken brackets on our slide topper were delivered to the campground office late yesterday afternoon. By getting all our running around done today, Mike will have a free day tomorrow to repair the brackets. (Sounds like a fun day for him, doesn't it?)

Okay, so with all that on the list of to-do's for today, breakfast is coming right up. I'm hopeful for better weather today, and maybe some better pictures.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Assassination is the extreme form of censorship. ~ George Bernard Shaw

piecefulwendy said...

You have a fun day ahead - enjoy! Eat some good Texas BBQ for me.

dgs said...

Wow, I was taken by surprise to see so much rain. Not a good weather day, especially for driving thru Dallas. Glad you made it safely to your destination and so, so happy the weather worked for you guys to see the eclipse yesterday. As a child, my mom drove us by Dealey Plaza and we took time for a good look. Very sad place and time in our country. Have fun visiting with your friend Paul.

abelian said...

Found it! That statue is a night watchman. And the building is the city hall.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2022/05/18/what-is-the-statue-atop-grapevine-city-hall-night-watchmen-the-citys-first-protectors/

Along my way through Google, I found other articles about the glockenspiel with shows at noon and 6 pm, and the “Peace Circle” with 11 bronze statues. An interesting town! Dot

Kate said...

We were lucky to not get a lot of rain and storms till late last night. Enjoy Grapevine, the downtown is a lot of fun to wander around. Sounds like you've got a very fun day lined up.

Sara said...

Sounds like a very good way to spend today.

Sherrill said...

AHH!! You are just up the road from me!!! i'm in North Richland Hills. Hope you guys have fun with Paul. Grapevine is such a neat place and hopefully the weather will be better tomorrow if you're planning to explore.

Lyndsey said...

here's hoping the weather improves and you can enjoy seeing the local area without getting very wet. Sounds like some fun plans with your friend Paul.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Rain is good but wouldn't it be wonderful if we lived in a perfect world and it only rained at night. I've heard the traffic in the Dallas area is a nightmare (our #2 son goes there for a trade show a couple times each year and he's very grateful that he can taxi it and not have to drive himself).