2/17/24

Wrist Wresting

Good morning, my friends. I suppose "wrest" is an improper use of the word, but you know me. There's no sense in passing up a good opportunity for wordplay. Life is short. But I did take the day off from quilting yesterday. My wrist was bothering me just a little, and I knew quilting would make it worse. Instead, I took my cues from Smitty. He always gives me good advice.


We had grocery shopping to do. Before heading out, I stitched the day's Tiny Heart. This one has a back stitched border, and then it was filled in with fly stitches.


While I was stitching, I noticed Mt. Rainier was under a spotlight. It's kind of unusual to see Mt. Rainier lit up like this while Mt. St. Helens, to its right, is shrouded in fog. 


When we got home from our grocery shopping, I followed Smitty's lead and took a long nap. When I woke up, I went to work on the next section of the Joyful Journey block. The green leaves are stitched in fishbone stitch, which makes them time-consuming and tedious. I like how they look, and it is the perfect stitch. Nevertheless, I force myself to start with one length of floss and stitch them until I use the entire length. Then, and only then, am I allowed to move to one of the other colors.


If there are bees present, I stitch them first. (Bees are not aggressive, but you still don't want to piss them off.)

The only other sewing-related thing I did was to sandwich this little "Christmas Lights" quilt. This was a free pattern from Anni Downs at Hatched & Patched. 'Tisn't the season, but it still deserves to be finished, don't you think?


I'll probably quilt it just lightly, using this white metallic thread to give it some sparkle. Also, I have a perfect binding for it from my binding scraps.


So I'm planning to finish this today, if I can. But first, I want to quilt another side of the Dot-to-Dot panel. I'll have to see how my wrist is feeling by this afternoon, and then decide whether to risk it. Sewing: it's tricky business. 

That's about it from this end. I have some housework to do, and I want to get in a Bow-flex workout. As I'm writing those words, I'm thinking the Bow-flex isn't going to do my wrist any good. Maybe I'll stick with the treadmill for today. Certainly, quilting should take priority over exercise, wouldn't you agree? Okay, so off I go. I won all my word games this morning, and so it's going to be a good day. 

Speaking of word games, I learned a new word today: "Burgoo." The dictionary defines it as "A spicy stew made of poultry, game, other meats, and vegetables, usually cooked outdoors." How I've gotten through life without knowing about "burgoo" is a mystery to me. Now that I know it, I can think of my word life as complete. And now you know it too. You're welcome.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired. ~ Jules Renard

Jenny said...

What a marvelous view of Mt Rainier you have from your window. We saw it, some years ago when we flew from Seattle to Juneau on a trip a long way from home, the views were terrific that day.

Kate said...

You are moving along on your smaller stitching projects. Christmas Lights is really cute, you found some great fabrics for the frame. Hopefully your wrist is feeling much better today after a bit of rest.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Mt. Rainier is certainly an impressive sight. And thank you for educating me on the word 'Burgoo'. My life is now complete too.

piecefulwendy said...

Catching up on posts, yet again. Sorry about the wrist, but glad you can just rest it when you know you need to. That little Christmas mini is cute (love the binding). Never heard of burgoo either!