2/16/24

A Little Finish

Good morning, my friends. It's a grocery shopping day today, and so the morning isn't as good as it could be. On the other hand, I have some overnight oatmeal downstairs, awaiting my final touches of cinnamon, golden raisins, and a little bit of brown sugar. And, see? When you get old, oatmeal is cause for celebration! Young people, you have a lot to look forward to. Follow me for more glimpses into the future.

So let's see what was happening here at the Three Cats Ranch yesterday. We thought we might wake up to some snow accumulation, but there was none. It was cold, but not cold enough. My morning sewing included hand-sewing the binding to this little quilt. That makes a little finish. It ended up at 12 x 12 inches.


Here's how it looks from the back. The thread fabric was perfect for this. Something tells me this fabric was a gift from someone, but I can't remember when or how I acquired it. If it was a gift from you, then thank you.


Oh yes, and I finished this Tiny Heart. This is the one I mistakenly started a few days ago. The border was supposed to be stem stitch, but I'd already done it in chain stitch. Yesterday's effort was to add the French knots.


And I stitched enough of the Joyful Journey block to decide to move my hoop down. Now I've reached the bottom right of the piece. There's still a lot to do on this, but I'm hoping to finish it up before we leave. (Less than two weeks now!)


Getting back to the Dot-to-Dot panel, I went to work on the second side. We always worry about invading forces when we're quilting. Sadie stood watch, so I could quilt in complete safety.


Yesterday's effort focused on filling in some of the spaces with conventional free motion designs. I got a little confused with the panel pattern yesterday. My brain keeps telling me that it's square, but it's actually rectangular. This side had some different shapes, and that threw off my symmetry some. Here's how I filled in Side 2.





Here's how the whole side looks.


So that was my sewing day.

Today I should be starting on the third side. My wrist was aching a little bit last night, and it still feels a little achy this morning. Depending on how it feels later today, I might decide to forego quilting for the day. There are some things I could do on my domestic machine, and a person of wisdom might choose to take a day off from the panel. Note that I said "a person of wisdom." Thankfully, I don't include myself in that category, so it's hard to say what the day holds. For sure, it holds bags of groceries.

Okay, now I'm excited to move along to my breakfast of oatmeal. The good times never stop rolling in.

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. ~ Chief Seattle

piecefulwendy said...

Funny, I was just thinking I should find an overnight oatmeal recipe for two - do you have one to share? Your little mini finished up nicely, and that little heart is cute. Your stitching is beautiful, as always. That is a lot of quilting, but you are close to finishing. Were you a person of wisdom, or are you icing as I type??

Quilter Kathy said...

You made me laugh about the oatmeal! I must learn to make it if it's going to bring me such pleasure! LOL I adore your little mini embroidery! The border/backing fabric was the perfect choice!

Kate said...

Oatmeal is vastly underrated by most young people. It's one of my favorite's during the winter months. Your mini finish turned out beautifully. I'm assuming it has a place in your sewing room? Hope you did what was best for your wrist, but I know how that goes, I have a pinched nerve in my right leg, it hurts to sit for long, but I'm still sewing in short sessions. Hopefully your wrist is feeling much better today.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

There's so much truth to the saying on that little wallhanging.
I rather hope wisdom prevailed and you opted to take a little break from quilting the panel.
As for oatmeal, we eat it probably at least four mornings each week. RC prepares a bunch of it and stores it in the fridge and then simply scoops out what we need and reheats it in the microwave. Saves doing prep every single morning. Ours usually has dried cranberries, raisins and coconut included and then it gets topped with 'Vector' for a little additional crunch.

Lyndsey said...

I'm not a great fan of overnight oats but love porridge for breakfast, especially when the weather is cold. I like to add blueberries or whatever soft fruits I have available. Giving your wrist a rest seems a wise idea.