1/10/24

Snowy Landscape

Good morning, my friends. So, we're sitting in bed reading last night when we hear the unmistakable sound of snow sliding off our metal roof. There was a chance of snow in the forecast, but the stars were going to have to align perfectly. We weren't really expecting anything. Looking outside...HOLY SMOKES! Look what can happen when you turn your back for just a second.


Well, of course I needed to see the measuring thingy we bought recently. So I looked outside with a flashlight shining through the window, but it was too dark to see clearly. And, of course, things like this must be fully documented with the camera on my phone, and so I took this picture while Mike held the flashlight against the window. And Mike said, "You won't be able to get that." And I said, "Well, I won't if I don't try." So, yeah...checkmate. I can see it. Can't you?

Okay, yeah, well...men. Such naysayers. So anyway...I was excited to see it this morning when I got up. Looks like a little more fell overnight.


Out there in the field, our bird feeder finally fell all the way over. As I've been writing this, Mike went outside to straighten it again, filled the feeders, and it is mobbed by birds. They're hungry!


And lookie there! It works! Two inches!

Okay. Well, that was so exciting, I might need a nap already. Maybe after I finish here...

We started taking things apart yesterday for our carpet installation. We're creating chaos. Thankfully, all the bags headed for Goodwill are downstairs and loaded in the car now. We'll drop those off before heading to the grocery store. Do we know how to have a good time, or what? Grocery shopping and Goodwill all in the same trip. For sure, I'm going to need a nap after all that. 

I'm happy the purging is officially finished. Now, we'll start emptying things into boxes in preparation for moving furniture around. Mike took the shelving in his closet apart yesterday, and he'll take it apart in my closet today. My task for the day will be to empty out my desk. He'll be disconnecting my computer and taking the desk apart. It's one of those L-shaped jobs with a hutch. I'll set up my laptop on the kitchen counter downstairs, and we'll continue to be in touch for at least a few more days.

As I said yesterday, I was determined to finish off another bird house for Project Quilting. This one took several hours, as they all have. There were a couple of new stitches in this one. At the roof is a "closed blanket stitch." I watched several videos of this stitch, read and reread the suggested stitch on the instructions. Hers looks different from mine, but I'm sticking with what I've done. Sorry about the wrinkles. I can't iron it until I've washed the Sticky Fabri-Solvy out of it. 


Around the door opening is a "Palestrina stitch." The flowers around the outer edge were done in "detached chain stitch," what I've always called a "lazy daisy."

Here are the four bird houses I have so far. Just one more to go. I spent some time working on it last night, and I should easily finish it today.


This turned out to be more time-consuming than expected, and so I'll be glad to get back to "regular" sewing.

The second video for the Dot-to-Dot Free Motion Quilting Challenge was released yesterday. My mid-arm machine will be removed from its table soon in preparation for the carpet, and so I wanted to get this done right away. There were some more ideas generated from yesterday's video. I tried each one she showed us, and then tried some things conjured up in my own imagination. The first one was "filled diamonds."


This one is called Zig Zag. I didn't take my to points deep enough into the block, and so the effect was lost a little bit.


Then, I felt I needed to fill in a little more, and so I did some triangles in the middle.


And then, a little flourish in the open areas.


This next one is called "Double Diamonds."


This next one should really have filled the whole square, but I'd already used the other square shape on my panel, and so I filled it in the center. The center design is called "Quatro."


This one is called "Procrastination."


From there, I just tried some things on my own.


The one below was a small area with not much room to get too fancy. I really prefer straighter lines, but I tried this one free-hand.


On the other side, this diamond was the same size as the one above, also stitched free-hand.


In one of the larger diamonds, I tried the Zig Zag again. This one turned out a little better.


She encouraged us to fill in some of the designs, and so I did this in one of the larger diamonds.


Finally, these two diamonds...I was just quilting lines from point to point to see what I'd come up with.


Here's the whole section quilted in the second video.


And here's all the quilting I've done on the panel so far. We've done the outer areas of the red and purple sections.

Okay, so today I want to finish off the fifth of the bird houses. We're going grocery shopping, and I have to empty out my desk and clear things off the surfaces. I'm still hopeful I'll have some time to sew the bird house challenge quilt into a finished quilt top. We'll see. I'm antsy to get back to my list of WIP's, and I need to get started tying the French Roses quilt, which is January's OMG project.

There's always plenty to do around here. Time to get going on it. I'm watching the storms you folks back east are experiencing. Stay safe and warm, my friends. 

10 comments:

Barbara said...

And finally Winter, with its bitin', whinin' wind, and all the land will be mantled with snow. ~ Roy Bean

Lyndsey said...

The 4th birdhouse is pretty and I like the stitches used. I am very jealous of the snow. We were forecast snow on Monday and there were flurries whilst I was driving home but it didn't last. Never mind there is still a lot of winter to go. I like the quilting on the panel and it has given me some ideas to try out. I really should have joined in as I need to improve my FMQ. Good luck with packing everything up.

Kathy said...

Palestrina stitch is one of my favorites, especially for edges of needlebooks and the like.
My niece got that same snow gauge for Christmas! Hers works better- it measured 4.5 inches over the weekend (northern Illinois)
I loev the color gradations on your quilt. It's going to be beautiful when finished.

Joan G said...

Your birdhouses are really pretty. You are doing a great job on those. I am also participating in the dot to dot challenge and it is my first time using a ruler foot and a ruler. It is fun and now I am wondering why I was so hesitant to try it! My stitches may not all be uniform length, but I am having a ball trying out the designs. The only thing I didn’t really catch was if she was tying off threads at the beginning and the end. What do you do?

Kara Benavides said...

It took us 3 trips to donate our Goodwill items this week. Everybody has had the same idea and they kept filling up. Love all your quilting pics. I have several of those big flower panels. Only I have the leaf ones. Getting itchy to get one out and give it a go.

Kate said...

Snow is fun as long as you don't have to get out in it. Your birdhouses are really cute. Fingers crossed you can finish off the last one today. Your quilting project is coming along. It's fun to see what you can do with just straight lines. Good luck with the carpet prep project, that's a lot of work.

karen said...

Snow Here! No power for 12 hours yesterday. Wet heavy snow. Trees fell!
Lyndsey.. come and get my snow. You can keep it. Thankyou. You are welcome.
Michigan

piecefulwendy said...

Whether it's hand stitch or machine stitch, you are moving along with those projects, all looking great! I love that snow measuring stick - so cool! We have a winter storm warning in effect for tonight, with the possibility of getting 7 inches of snow. We'll see. Bird activity at the feeder isn't high, so that's usually an indication that nothing will happen; they get really active when a front is moving in. We'll see how the day plays out.

dgs said...

At first, I thought you were going to say you could hear it snow outside. LOL. How exciting to hear the snow "slide" off of your new metal roof, as well as wake up to a beautiful white blanket outside. Lovely, but it does look cold. I'm glad it isn't more than 2" (my kinda snow fall). Your FMQ QAL is looking lovely. So many new motifs that are beautiful and look fun. Have a wonderful day.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Yuck. I hate opening the curtains in the morning and seeing that. So far we haven't had much snow this winter and although I would love for that to continue I know that we really need it to help with the dryness and get the water table up to where it should be.
Must admit the name 'Procrastination' made me laugh. Should be my middle name!