1/20/24

Sewing with Pens

Good morning, my friends. Can you stand some more ice pictures? We're still iced in here at the Three Cats Ranch. I've heard this thawing compared to taking a frozen turkey out of the freezer and putting it into the refrigerator. Think about how long it takes that turkey to thaw. Now, insert us here in the Pacific Northwest, and the weather has turned us all into frozen turkeys. It's a completely apt metaphor. Just before sitting down here, I looked out the glass doors onto our icy deck. Can you see that sheen of ice? There's an iced-over patch of snow, but the ice also extends into the uncovered areas of the deck.


We can't get out of our long, steep driveway, which means nobody is getting in either. We've rescheduled our carpeting installation...again. Now, it'll be a week from Monday. The weather is supposed to be warm rain for the rest of the week, and so I'm confident we'll get it done then. Unless another front moves in, and then it's anybody's guess. Also, we're running out of ingredients for making food. We have lots of frozen soups, stews, and casseroles in our freezer, so we won't go hungry. Still, I like to cook. Reheating things day after day is not the kind of cooking I like to do. We're hoping we'll be able to get out by tomorrow, but it's only a guess.

After writing yesterday's post, I took a few more pictures through the window. This isn't the job our snow-measuring device signed up for.


Just outside the living room window, the Andromeda's new spring flowers are encased in ice.


I'm not sure how this will affect the plant this spring. It is a winter-hardy shrub.


Outside the window above our bed, this Japanese maple tree looks fairy-like with all its sparkle.


This is a glazed-over north-facing window. When I take pictures of the mountains, this is usually where I'm standing.


Back inside and underneath a quilt, I did some slow-stitching. There wasn't much to stitch in this area.


I opened it all up for a picture when I moved my hoop. I'm only about halfway across the piece. The left side is all stitched, and that is the most densely stitched area. So, distance-wise I'm about halfway. Number-of-stitches-left-to-do-wise, I'm probably about 2/3 of the way.


I'll start right here today.


In the sewing room, I readied my piece for February's International Embroidery Month project from Crabapple Hill Studios. This is my favorite stitch-along of the year.


These are the colors of floss I'll be using.


Next, I needed to make up the newest block pattern for When Quilter's Gather. I'll admit to dragging my feet about this. Making the pattern is the worst part of this project. I ended up getting distracted when I'd only just barely started. It seemed like a good time to call my son, Matthew, and ask him how his trip to the coast went this week. He was over there d-jaying an event. He had a d-jay gig when he was a college student, and it's a side hustle for him now. We ended up talking for over an hour. I hated to get off the phone when nature called, but I couldn't put off making this pattern forever. Thankfully, Smitty showed up with all four paws to help.


If helping paws are good, a helping tail is even better.


Together, we traced in all the lines.


And then I flipped it over, marked and labeled all the sections, and now it's ready to go.


I'll start there when I head into the sewing room today.

Also today, I'm going to start the process of some No-Knead Harvest Bread. It's one I haven't tried before. It has dried cranberries, raisins, and nuts. Yesterday, I measured out some yeast from my freezer and left it on the counter to bring it back to room temperature. (Ya gotta wake up those little yeasties.) Then, I totally forgot about it until I went to make dinner last night. It needs to rest and rise overnight before I can bake it off, and so I'll get that going right away this morning...while it's still fresh in my feeble mind.

Aside from the bread, there's nothing else on today's agenda. I doubt I can finish off the When Quilters Gather block today, but I'm going to give it a good try. If you're frozen in where you are, then you have my sympathy. Just keep repeating to yourself, this too shall pass.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

It is said an Eastern monarch once charged his wise men to invent him a sentence, to be ever in view, and which should be true and appropriate in all times and situations. They presented him the words: "And this, too, shall pass away." How much it expresses! How chastening in the hour of pride! How consoling in the depths of affliction! ~ Abraham Lincoln

Angei said...

The high in piedmont area of NC is supposed to be 40 but as of this writing it’s only 28.. it’s sunny but very windy and cold. I fixing a crock pot of beef stew with potatoes, onions and carrots for dinner. I have done some cross stitching this morning and now going to try and get 5 lap size quilts bound. Hope you warm up soon to melt your ice.

Chris K. said...

We had our long, steep driveway shoveled yesterday, so we are now finally free to leave. but we haven't. We had a forecast for ice but got very little if any. I'm afraid the bushes we planted last spring are toast from the cold. (I guess that wasn't a very good metaphor.)

Lyndsey said...

I hope your plants and trees survive that frost. We lost a lot of plants last year due to frost. It's a shame the carpet had to be rescheduled again and it must be annoying having to navigate round items that are packed up from your closets.

Kate said...

Ice is just no fun at all. Fingers crossed you can get out and about tomorrow. Our forecast is for freezing rain tonight into tomorrow. Definitely ready for winter to be over. Looking forward to seeing your new stitch along come together, I like your color palette for that project. Stay warm!

grammajudyb said...

I’m a Crabapple Hill fan, but I’ve never participated in the February SAL. That looks like a fun one! Hope you can get to the grocery store soon and the carpet layers can get there to do the installation! Mother Nature is giving the whole country the cold shoulder!

Deb said...

You are making great progress on the embroidery piece. I love the colors you plan to use for the February SAL.

karen said...

Finally got to the library to make copies for the February stitch along. Now to trace and keep my hands off until next week. I've been doing more stitching than quilting. Have floss and even weave fabric all over the place. Sheesh!
Mike? You doing ok ? Glad you don't have to get out to work.
Sadie and Smitty...Hugs

karen said...

My favorite saying. Most things pass too quickly. The stitch along will not get here fast enough. This years stitch along is too perfect for me. Fabric, pattern, floss is all ready to go. Just have to do the tracing.
Finishing up a couple of other projects, so I can start 72 more new ones.
Found two more new finds while looking through boxes in the garage. My orange fabric (from the pumpkin quilt) and the big box of even weave fabrics.
I'm now good until year 3009... have to start living for a few hundred more years.

piecefulwendy said...

Holey moley, that's a lot of numbers on that quilter piece! I'd drag my feet on it, too - and likely never finish it, but you will. Sure hope you are set free from the ice soon!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

The ice photos are beautiful - provided I'm just looking at them and not having to live in it.
The Crabapple hearts look like they're going to be such fun to create. But - the latest 'Gather' block, not so much!