12/26/23

Best of 2023

Good morning, my friends. Hopefully, everyone has recovered from Christmas festivities. We had a lovely holiday here, and I hope you did too. Today begins one of my favorite linky parties of the year. My thanks go to Cheryl Brickey of Meadow Mist Designs for hosting this party for the past nine years. Thanks, Cheryl!


It's been a good year, all-in-all. We had a good mix of staying-at-home and traveling. Our biggest trip of the year saw us ATVing in Colorado and Utah with lots of sight-seeing along the way. There was also plenty of time for sewing and relaxation. Our vegetable garden was fairly productive, although we were plagued by critters this year. It's caused us to become more creative with our critter-discouraging tactics for the next time around. 

In choosing these posts to re-share, I went through the list of comments on my dashboard and selected the ones that generated the most "conversation."

1. Looking way back to February 1st, it was the reveal for my latest art quilt for The Endeavourers. The prompt for the challenge was "Portrait." I selected this image of my husband, taken while on a fly-fishing trip in Idaho. 


This was the resulting quilt I call "Catch and Release."


You can read the reveal post right here.

2. The next reveal was for a quilt I call "Full Circle." It was another art quilt for The Endeavourers. The prompt for this quilt was "Maps." My quilt ended up as an "autobiography in six quilt blocks," as I "mind-mapped" my years growing up as a Marine Corps brat. You can read about my quilt right here. The "art" in this art quilt was really in the quilted line drawings representing unique memories I have of each place my family called home.


3.  When the flowers are blooming in our neck of the woods, I'm often posting pictures of the latest blooms. I was just beginning an art quilt when I wrote this post "We're All in our Places, " and it was our 48th wedding anniversary. You can see the flowers and read about a young couple just getting started right here.


4. One of my favorite art quilts was this one I call "Fantasticat." Prompt for this quilt was "Collage." Mine was created from an illustration by a NYTimes artist and illustrator, Angie Wang, who graciously gave her permission for me to render her art into fabric. You can read my reveal post right here.


5. Finally, this post about a scary story with a happy ending when one of our kitties went missing. We ended up finding Miss Sadie in the end, but we had several anxious hours trying to locate her. You can read about Curiosity and the Cat right here.


And this gives me an opportunity to thank all my readers and followers for supporting another year of my incessant prattle. I'm hoping we can all meet up here again next year to talk about all the good things to come. Please stay healthy and let's make the coming year the best year ever.

13 comments:

Barbara said...

The first few days of each new year have always seemed to be filled with a special magical quality of anticipation. What will the new calendar produce in our lives? ~ Og Mandino

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Nice to read your 'Best Of' post and revisit some special things you've done throughout the year. Now we turn our sights towards 2024 and wonder what creations are in store for us!

CarolE said...

Barbara,
Thank you for allowing all of us to share in your quilting, traveling and kitty stories. Your Fantasticat quilt is one of my favorites and I think I love embroidery almost as much as you do. May you and Mike have a wonderful New Year ahead of you.

piecefulwendy said...

You've had a good year! Fun to see those challenge quilts again!

Emma's Daughter said...

Yours is the first blog I read every morning. I love your quilts, your RVing travels, your recipes, your flowers and gardens, and I especially love Smitty and Sadie adventures. I hope you and Mike have a wonderful, prosperous, happy new year! Thanks for another year.

karen said...

This (as all of them) was a nice post. A blend of all good.
You are my HBO and you are the Norman Rockwell of a family.
May you have a wonerful start to the year and my your troubles be little and few.
Hugs to all.

Lyndsey said...

A great post Barbara and I for one love your prattle. Your posts are more a conversation than a reading experience. May 2024 be a prosperous and happy year for you and your family.

Terri in BC said...

Happy New Year, Barbara! Love your blog, I feel like you are a friend.

Jane said...

Your blog is always the highlight of my day! I love the update on everything from kitties to quilting to travel, flowers and recipes. Thank you for sharing! And, it's not prattle; it's commentary! :)

Diane Wild said...

I read your blog every morning but never comment. Just want you to know I'm still with you. Happy New Year.

Vicki W said...

Happy New year!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

You had a good year and I look forward to reading your 2023 posts.

Kate said...

You've made some fun quilts this year. My favorite is Fantasticat. The colors are beautiful and of course the subject matter is always a favorite. Wishing you a successful 2024 with your quilting projects.