2/1/23

The Reveal: Catch and Release

You've probably been waiting on tenterhooks for this day to come, haven't you? It's time to reveal the art quilt made for the "Portrait" prompt for The Endeavourers art quilt group. Mine is from a photograph taken when we traveled to Swan Valley, Idaho, to see a quilting friend. Mike was nearing retirement at the time, and he was interested in taking up fly-fishing in his next life. Our friends generously arranged for a fishing trip on the Snake River near their Idaho home. 

Here's the original photograph of Mike with a cutthroat trout he caught that day.

For a long time, I've wanted to render this photo into fabric, and this seemed like as good a time as any. I sorted through my scraps, looking for anything that could be used.


And then, I went to work, starting with the jacket below the face.


When the whole portrait was done, it looked like this.


I had a fabric in my landscape bin that made a perfect background. I fused it to the background and then added the border. Batting was added without the backing, and then it was thread painted. When the thread-painting was finished, I added the backing and quilted it lightly. 

This is my first attempt at a full-on face. Prior to this, I'd only done human faces in profile. The nose was the hardest part for me to replicate.


I quilted some branches onto the tree, and did some quilting up and down the tree trunk.


Also, I quilted some clouds in the sky.


The fish was thread-painted along with the rest, but then I added some glitter thread to give it some sparkle.


Here's a close-up of the fish.


Backing up a little bit...


From there, I did a little quilting in the border, and then added a binding.


The back is made from this fabric that's been in my stash a long time. It was just what I needed.


And there you have it. My quilt, "Catch and Release," ends up at 21 x 16.5 inches. I had fun making it. I hope you like it.

To see more "Portrait" quilts, click here to be taken to The Endeavourers blog.

29 comments:

Barbara said...

Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers. ~ Herbert Hoover

Karen said...

Excellent !! What a happy fisherman. Love the shadeing of the jacket. what a happy memory. Nice.

Mary C said...

Amazing! It's excellent! You should enter it in a state fair or other quilt show.

CarolE said...

Very nice! I always admire portrait quilts; they look so difficult to do.

Quilting Babcia said...

Great portrait! I'll wager that Mike is pretty pleased with it too.

Julierose said...

Just a lovely portrait you've rendered in those fabrics!! I really like how the face emerged!! Beautiful work--and I agree, you should enter it in a quilt show..hus Julierose

piecefulwendy said...

I'm always amazed at how you put these together. You make it look so easy! Nice work!

Quilter Kathy said...

That is just an amazing process with a super realistic outcome!
You are a magician turning a photograph into a fabric portrait!

Vicki W said...

Awesome! Also finally a good use for the slippery metallic threads. I might have to make some fish! LOL

dgs said...

Brilliant. What a great memory captured in art. Truly beautiful. And so many special touches (e.g. metallic thread on the fish, fish backing fabric). Totally awesome.

Anonymous said...

What a great finish, Barbara! You are a magician when it comes to interpreting a photo in fabric and thread!! This one is amazing!!
Thanks so much for sharing it with all of us who follow your blog….
Sandra B
scb23229@yahoo.com

Arlyn Parker said...

spectacular!!! It must be difficult to capture the image of someone so close to you. What does Mike think of it?

Shepherdess55 said...

Awesome! Does Mike continue to fly fish now that he's retired?

BJ Coleman said...

That’s a beautiful job, Barbara! You’re just very talented....and patient...and funny! Love seeing your talent revealed. Keep up the wonderful work! Bonnie in GA, where it is warm and sunny!

Janarama said...

You are truly a professional artist when creating portraits from pictures to fabric. The thread painting really brings out all of the finer details. Another fabulous finish Barbara. Where is Mike going to display his fabric doppleganger?

Becky said...

Excellent! I always enjoy your portraits and pawtraits.

Christine said...

Superb! You've captured the photo perfectly. Love the hat, and face, and the fish,... All of it!!

Thanks for the link, loved the basset hound portrait and story.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Such a fun quilt! I hope Mike was pleased? You're brave to tackle doing faces (and hands), something I wouldn't do.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Nice quilt!

kc said...

Wowsa!!!! That's fantastic!!!!

Sara said...

I’m so amazed at how much detail you manage to create with fabric and thread. Wow! Fabulous job!

MoeWest said...

I am very impressed with your fabric portrait! It's something that I've never tried but I imagine it takes quite a while to do.

Tilly said...

Looks great! You did an excellent job! Chapeau!

Susan said...

Well done. I had no guess on this one.

Karen said...

Wow! Just wonderful. You really captured the image with all those little pieces of fabric and threads. I've never tried this, I think my skills need to marinate some more.

NancyA said...

Another amazing portrait/pawtrait quilt! You do such a great job of turning bits of fabric into a life-like image. I would love to make one; wonder if I will ever be brave enough to try?

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Well done. You need to put your Bernie and Mike side by side - I think the pose is strikingly the same. Sorry Mike.

Astrid said...

Absolutely gorgeous Barbara! You are so talented.

Kate said...

Just WOW! I'm always amazed at your photos to fabric creations, this one is pretty spectacular. Does Mike have a place for it?