10/17/23

Stitch, Quilt, Bind

Good morning, my friends. I have to write fast this morning. I'm getting my hair cut, and so I need to be out the door earlier than I like. And let's just face it, I never like being out the door in the morning for any reason at all. Nevertheless, I need a haircut, and then I need to pick up a few things from the grocery store.

So let's just see what happened in the sewing world yesterday. First, I started stitching the newest Domestic Affairs block. This will be finished pretty quickly...probably today or tomorrow.


Then, I actually did follow through and get in a workout. It was such a slow morning, it was already lunch time by then. So I had some lunch, and then went to work finishing off the quilting.


It's hard to see in that picture, so here's a close-up.


And here's how it looks from the back.


Inspector Smitty showed up right away when I spread it out on the floor. It rained hard most of the day yesterday, and so the inspectors were looking for something to do. If he can't hunt for mice, he'll hunt for quilt problems.


Sadie was more purposeful with her inspection. She always meditates for a few minutes before getting down to business.


Then she gave it the all-important snuggleability test.


When she was satisfied that everything was ship shape, she gave her appurroval.

You may purrceed with binding.


Phew! With so many inspections, I wasn't sure it could survive the gauntlet. 

I gave it a plain black binding. That seemed the best choice.


And now, it awaits my return downstairs. It will be a good project to work on when I get home this afternoon.

Before I left the sewing room, I studied up on the pattern I'm using to sew these Jericho Walls blocks together. I think I have it all figured out now. I'm just hoping I have plenty of that grayish fabric to work with since most of what I have left to do will require it. This was my Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilt in 2022.

We're expecting sunny days for the rest of the week as summer makes its last stand. There should be plenty of time for getting some yard work done before the cold, wet weather sets in permanently. Like I said at the beginning though, there's not a minute to waste this morning. I'd love to sit and chat a little longer, but I must move along. Have a good day everybody! 

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Some of the worst mistakes of my life have been haircuts. ~ Jim Morrison

Sara said...

I'm with you on those early mornings. I had PT this morning at 8:30 - definitely outside my comfort zone for being ready to leave the house. I only had time for ONE cup of coffee before. Glad your inspectors gave the quilt their approval.

Kate said...

The quilting turned out beautifully! We are up early, but I always struggle getting out of the house no matter what time it is. Hope you were able to get in some good hand stitching time in once you got home.

Ioleen said...

I might have some of that fabric if you need it. It might be lighter but I’m not sure. Could you send me an email with a better picture or a picture of the selvage.