10/18/23

Nothing But Slow

Good morning, my friends. This is the second of two days of writing fast and stitching slow. I got my hair cut yesterday, and I'm getting a pedicure today. As I said earlier, I want to look my best when we get our flu and COVID vaccines tomorrow. Besides, our vaccines are scheduled late in the day, and so we're eating out afterward. If I'm going on a vaccine date with my main squeeze, it's important to look good. Wouldn't you agree?

Despite flying out of the house at the ungodly hour of 9:15 yesterday, I found some time to get in a little slow stitching. I finished what was in my hoop.


And then I moved the hoop to encompass the rest. I'll probably finish this today.


And that means, I really need to get this next "short" project ready to go. I've made no progress getting it ready for stitching since I posted it a few days ago.


Even if I don't, I have at least two more days of hand stitching on the binding for Strips and Stripes. After my haircut yesterday, I had groceries to pick up. Fortunately, I was home just a little after noon. Mike was still home to help me put things away. After lunch, I spent some time hand-stitching the binding. Smitty was miffed I started without him.


But then, he settled in to help me.


After stitching three lengths of thread, I was able to turn the first corner. 


Since I started at the beginning of one of the long sides, I'm about one-third of the way around now. There will be some more time to work on this when I get home today.

There was a pretty sunrise this morning. You can see we're above the clouds while the valley is shrouded in fog.

We're expecting nice weather at least through Saturday. Mike and I really need to get out and do some end-of-the-season yard work. The weeds made their stand while we were away, and so I want to pick at least one bucket of weeds. Also, I need to figure out what I'm supposed to do about the dahlias for winter. As I mentioned in an earlier post, one of them fell over the broke off while we were gone.


That one is stored in the greenhouse now. The stems are hollow, and I wanted to protect it from moisture. The others are still blooming, and so I've written to the grower to ask for advice. We'll be moving them into the garage for the winter to protect them from freezing. Also, I need to cut back the peonies to ground level. I have a new peony to replace the cruel peony, and that needs to happen soon as well. So, aside from slow-stitching, the next couple of days will be spent outside taking advantage of what could be the last of the good weather.

I'm still thinking about getting to work on the blocks for Jericho Walls. Yesterday, I unrolled the fabric I have for finishing it off, and it looks like I'll have plenty to sew it into a finished quilt top.


Mike requested French toast for breakfast, and so that's next on the agenda. A day of sunshine and getting outside for a bit is sounding like a good day here at the Three Cats Ranch. I hope you have a good day planned for yourself too.

3 comments:

Barbara said...

If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you'll never enjoy the sunshine. ~ Morris West

Lyndsey said...


I have had a great time reading back over the week to find what you have been doing. I love the tiny house blocks, they do look good together. I'm pleased your plan for straight line quilting worked so well. I must see if I can find a 3/4 foot that's compatible with my machine since it would make life easier. Hope your covid and flu jabs went well. John and I had our at the beginning of September with just a little aching in the arm but no major ill effects.

Kate said...

Sounds like a good mix of inside and outside projects on the agenda for yesterday and today. I got my flu/Covid vaccinations on Monday night, didn't feel so hot on Tuesday, but was pretty much recovered on Wednesday. Hopefully it won't bother you too badly and you can continue with the yard chores.