10/1/23

Quilt Shop: Patches Quilt Shop; Panguitch, Utah


Good morning, my friends. We meet again this morning to do a little shopping. This is Patches Quilt Shop in Panguitch, Utah.


Mike happily assumed his position on the bench outside. He reads or naps while I'm shopping.


And just FYI, here's the business card for this shop.


Walking through the front door, it looks like this.


Walking to my left, I looked down this long line of fabric. I don't know when I've seen so much fabric in a store this size.


Most of their inventory was calico, reproduction, and small prints. I didn't see anything as exotic as Kaffe Fassett, for instance.


I liked these beehive fabrics. Did you know Utah is the "Beehive State"?


It was impossible to stand anywhere in the store without have many yards of fabric lined up somewhere within arm's reach. These were all batik tone-on-tones.


Here's a pretty panel. I'm not sure how one would use it, but I could see cutting it up just for the variations in color. It could make a fun binding too.


In this next image, I was sorely tempted by those checked fabrics at the upper right. They had a design like nine patches in each little square. It was another case of me being too lazy to pick a color. And besides, I don't need any more fabric. I haven't needed any more fabric for years. And yet, I shop.


There was a large doorway leading to another part of the store. I totally missed the "watch your step" sign there and tripped over the small step-up. No harm done, except to my pride.


To the left were a couple of long-arm machines. I didn't really notice the taxidermy until I uploaded this picture. Ew. Nothing against people who like this stuff, but it gets a big "ew" from me.


On one long wall there were solids in all colors. I call these "Amish" solids...plain.


I liked these cow fabrics.


Turning to the right, it looked like this. Have you ever seen so much fabric?


I was tempted by those multi-colored stripes on the left. If I'd taken the bolt from the shelf, I probably would have spent more money. It was out of sight and out of mind by the time I was ready to make my purchase.


There were more pretty stripes and checks on this shelf.


And look at this heavy yarn! It made me wish I was a yarn person.


Turning around, these were all flannels.


They had some interesting tools.


There was a good selection of embroidery floss, although there are lots more colors than what is seen here.


They had some of the Presencia floss. This isn't always easy to find. Valdani is another that isn't easy to find, and they didn't have it here.


There were lots of panels, especially related to the natural wonders of the area.


This one was a tee towel panel with instructions printed directly on the panel.



And more fabric. Everywhere I walked, the walls and shelves were lined with fabric.


Turning one corner, I found some darker fabrics.


I thought I might find my regional print among these landscape prints and panels.


Walking to the opposite wall, I came upon these. Having just visited Quilt Walk Park, this section had potential.


Moving on, there were some fun polka dots and other darker prints.


Here were some holiday fabrics.


This panel caught my eye. It almost looked like a stamped embroidery pattern, but the lines were too thick to cover with embroidery floss.


Here were some patriotic prints.


Here, they had the sorts of things you might give as gifts. Notepads, small kits...that sort of thing. And, of course, more fabric.


I liked those florals on the left side of the image below, but I resisted the urge.


They had a nice display of notions and my favorite Creative Grids rulers.


They had cute button collections. One of my friends was in the market for buttons recently. I thought of her.


Moving around a wall and toward a back corner, I found a nice collection of thread.


Turning directly around, I found scads of fat quarters. It was hard to see what you're getting when they were shelved like this.


To my left were some shelves of clearance fabrics.


At the end were clearance fat quarters and some of this stuff I've always thought of as "toweling." Hanging with it were patterns for pillow covers.


I liked this sign.


Okay, so I was ready to make my purchase. I laid my bolt on the cutting counter. Turning directly around, I noticed their Halloween fabrics.


So what did I choose? I chose this one to honor the Panguitch Quilt Walk. I really only wanted a fat quarter, but I bought a whole yard. I'll find a way to use it. Those squares are 1-1/2 inches, and I could see fussy cutting them into cornerstones.


So, this was a great shop, and I enjoyed my time there. Also, Panguitch is just a fun place to visit. The quilt shop was a nice bonus.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping. ~ Gertrude Stein

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I kind of remember the place now with the photos - a lot of the prints aren't things I would buy but it is nice that they have stayed in business!!

Quilter Kathy said...

...and yet, we shop! LOL
I have that tea towel fabric - I wonder where I put it! LOL

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

Oh my--how many hours did it take you to shop?????
I want a yard of the yellow bird and pink flowers on your photo--top shelf--I think of the clearance fabrics!!!!!!!
Was thinking about you this morning when I woke up--and about you getting ready to come home!!
hugs, di

Christine said...

What a super shop, and that wool (yarn to you foreigners!) wall was magic! Thank you so much for taking a close up.....
Going to lie down now.... All that excitement has wore me out lol

gpc said...

Wow, what a LOT of fabric. I would have had to buy the multi-colored panel just out of respect, and I always buy toweling when I see it to make my kitchen towels. Even though, as you point out, I never need to buy fabric again -- even the toweling, which I keep in good supply. So good thing I sat this one out. Your fabric choice, however, was perfect, and justified, unlike the ones i would have made.

MissPat said...

That is a good sized store for a small town. I would have bought the multi-colored stripe, and, no, I don't need any more fabric either.
Pat

Warm Quilts said...

What an amazing collection of fabric and, then, even more fabric. Thank you for including a copy of the business card.

piecefulwendy said...

I spent the evening getting caught up on your posts, and what fun to wrap it up with this quilt shop post. I can't imagine all that fabric! Thanks for the fun posts of your trip (loved the selfie with the red dust from your ride). Looks like a thoroughly enjoyable trip.

karen said...

Lots of fabric at this quilt shop. whew! My eyes were on overload.
Didn't see another shopper.. wonder how they sell all that fabric to stay in business.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

My goodness, I am astounded to contemplate how much money they have tied up in fabrics! I know I would have been beyond overwhelmed with all that and would probably ended up not buying a single thing.

QuiltGranma said...

We used to travel through this area rockhounding and heading to southern NM to visit family. Too bad they died. I likely won't be traveling through Panguitch any time soon. Looks like a wonderful shop!