9/23/23

Quilt Shop: Canyonlands Quilts; Moab, Utah

Well, my friends...there's no time like the present. Let's just get busy talking about that quilt shop, shall we? In years gone by, "It's Sew Moab" was the only quilt shop in town. Sadly, it did not survive the pandemic. Now, Google indicates there are several new ones. I chose the one along our route to Monticello. 

It's located in one of those industrial parks, and so you might miss it on the way by, except for this banner flying along the highway.

It has a humble entrance.


Don't be fooled into thinking there's anything small about this shop. It was a large space, stuffed to the gills with fabric and other fun sewing-related stuff.

 
The woman behind the counter was chatty and friendly. I'm assuming she was the owner, so we'll call her "Chyrrel" as indicated on her business card. I spent a few minutes talking with her and then continued moving around her shop. The first thing I noticed were these "charms."


I'm not sure what their intended purpose is, but they were cute. To the right were some kitted up projects and panels.


At the front of the store were long shelves floor-to-ceiling of fabrics.



Here were some Star Wars fabrics.


Here were some Disney characters...mostly of the mouse.


There were some cat fabrics here...my favorites, of course.


And look at these pretty polka dots! I loved these, but I couldn't decide which color to buy, and so I moved along. (Sometimes I'm too lazy to make up my mind.)


The blacks and whites always catch my eye.


Here were some juvenile prints. I liked how she'd marked the shelves with little notations.


These looked like pastel batiks. Batiks are often so dark, and so I liked these fabrics in lighter colors. They might have been created via some other process and not batik, but that's what they looked like to me.


Here was a whole wall of calicos.


Here were some more animal prints.


Here were holiday fabrics.


And more stripes and polka dots. These were arranged for Halloween, but I liked the camper fabrics on the left too.


Here's another look at the Halloween fabrics.


And some patriotic fabrics.


Hanging from the ceiling at the front of the store were some pretty regional panels.


Here were some pretty florals. I regretted not choosing something to represent the black-eyed susans when I visited the quilt shop in Grand Junction, and so I took a close look at these. They still mostly look like sunflowers to my eye. 


Here are some of those digital prints. I like the precision and colors of these, but I haven't yet figured out how to use them in a quilt.


Turning to my right, I noticed this gridded stabilizer.


I used this in a project once. You can stick your fabric directly to the sticky stabilizer, and then sew your seams.


Just below them were these cute little cross-stitch kits. They were about the size of a drink coaster.


Here were some grunge solids.


Above them some mottled solids.


Turning to the right from there was another wall of fabrics and other kitted items.


Here were some more kitted patterns.


Here were some southwest prints. I love these, but I have plenty at home already.


Chyrrel encouraged me to look at the very back of the store where there was a table with everything 30% off.


I gave those a careful look stopping at the far end when I saw these florals. I selected a couple of them, thinking they would fill in the gap in my Shop Hop quilt for the black-eyed susans I was missing.


Turning directly around, there were more holiday fabrics and some wide backings at the bottom...mostly flannel.


As I was making my purchase, I noticed these long-arm feet behind the counter for the HandiQuilter machine. These would be helpful for quilting straight lines without a ruler. I'm going to check and find out if these are compatible with my Babylock Tiara II machine (which is exactly the same machine as the HQ Sweet-16). If they'll work, I'll probably make the investment. They aren't cheap. If one of you knows whether they are compatible, please chime in.



Okay. So what did I choose? Well, I liked this stripe from the Halloween collection. It should make a fun binding.


One of these next two will be my regional choice. Both were on the sale table. There was just a little left of this one, and so I bought what was left on the bolt...2-1/4 yards, plus a little extra.


And this one. I haven't decided yet which one I will use in my quilt, but probably the one below.


Also, I couldn't help noticing that the stripe above would work as a binding for either fabric, depending on the quilt.

So there you go. Second quilt shop of the trip. It's so much fun visiting quilt shops around the country. I enjoy looking for something regional for my Shop Hop quilts, but I often find items and designers I haven't come across before. This was a nice shop with a friendly vibe. I'd encourage a visit if you find yourself in Moab.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Design is a series of creative choices - it's a collaborative effort, an evolutionary process. You choose your fabrics depending upon what you want to say, then you work with mills to get those fabrics. Through the process, you realize what you want it to be. ~ Marc Jacobs

abelian said...

What a nice quilt shop! And a friendly owner, too. I zoomed in on the photo of the charms, and noticed that one package was labeled “zipper charms”.

I am really enjoying coming along on your travels to beautiful places I’ll never get to. Dot

Chris K. said...

I want all of those polka dots! And what fabulous scenery!

Jenny said...

I've never seen polka dots like this selection, they look like sequins!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I really like that bottom fabric (last photo).

djquilting said...

Enjoyed all the scenery pictures. We will be traveling in that same area next week.

Kate said...

You found some fun take home fabrics. Looks like a great shop to find a bit of this and that.

kc said...

I don't know if the feet are compatible or not, but, I have the feet, and my local shop is Babylock, so, maybe I can find out on Tuesday. Yep, not cheap. Truthfully, I found the Glide foot (shaped like a bowl) more useful than the square foot. I guess, cuz I always have more seams. Advantage square foot, tho, if you plan to use it with a ruler.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I would normally be turned off by the outside of that quilt shop because it is unattractive - call me shallow - I like pretty and cute looking quilt shops not metal buildings but you show a lot of inventory! I will make sure to remember that if we ever get back there. Sorry to hear the little shop in Moab closed I remember stopping there every time we we went there which was about ever other year for ten years or so.