6/10/23

Lazy and Rainy

Good morning, my friends. The rainy day made us lazy yesterday. I've noticed that sometimes when we reach the end of a day, Mike and I will independently use the same word to describe it. Both of us were slow to move yesterday, and so there wasn't much accomplished. We've already moved into summer mode. With a drizzling rain for much of the day, the outdoor plans we had for ourselves were dashed. And, honestly, what? No weeding? How will we survive a day without weeding? I'm kidding, of course.

So the morning slipped away, and I didn't get into the sewing room until after lunch. I suppose I was dragging my feet a little too because I couldn't do any sewing until I created a pattern for the next "When Quilters Gather" block. This is the one I'm making this time, called "Using a Rotary Cutter."


This is the third of three patterns I've had enlarged to make them big enough to work with. Some of my time yesterday was spent thumbing through the book choosing the next three blocks I'd like to do. There was time taken for copying, and I'll take them to Staples next week to be enlarged. For now, I'm working with this one. I've described the process for making these patterns before. They're created in the style of Ruth McDowell. The lines are traced onto the shiny side of freezer paper, then the sections are labeled, tick marks are added, and the sections are highlighted.


When it's all finished, it looks like this. The only thing left to do is to cut the sections (marked in pink) apart.


Sadie eyed this project.

This looks 'spiciously like papurr-piecing.


You go on ahead. I'll just lie here and watch. 


It took a good part of the day creating the pattern, and there was time left in the day to sew two sections together. The sections are labeled "A" through "Q," and so I'm just barely getting started.


There will be more time to work on it today, and I'm hoping I'll get well along with it.

The sun has returned today. It was nice to give everything a good wetting down, but enough is enough, and that was enough. The kitties are happy to be able to get back to their morning sunbaths. I left Smitty on the top shelf of the kitty pole.


Sadie likes this spot on the bottom step. The kitties like to lie on the stairs as if they think they are the beneficiaries of our life insurance policies...as if.


There's one housekeeping chore on today's agenda. Most everything I need to do in the garden is done for the next day or two, and so there will be plenty of time for sewing today. What's on tap for your Saturday?

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Rain is grace; rain is the sky descending to the earth; without rain, there would be no life. ~ John Updike

gpc said...

You are amazing, art quilts mystify me and you make them look so easy. (Although you should warn your quilter to keep that left hand further away from the cutting line, they are making me nervous!) We definitely need some rain here, but I am liking the sunshine better.

Christine said...

Well, hello.... Not had any posts recently so I've just spent a pleasant half hour or so catching up..
Peonies look wonderful, carrots are also doing well. I put two leftover seeds of mine into pots and they are racing ahead of the garden ones which are same as yours. The cats sure appreciate the summer days. lol
Xxx

Frédérique - Quilting Patchwork Appliqué said...

Oh wow, this block is gorgeous, I love the background fabrics you used! Enjoy the summer vacations ;)

Kate said...

You've gotten a good start on your quilters block. It's fun to see what the kitties are up to. Hope you get a chance for more stitching today.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Wish we could get a rainy day or two here. Woke up to promise this morning but alas it hasn't panned out. Things are getting really dry.
The rotary cutter block looks like a fun one to create.