6/11/23

Inside and Out

Happy Sunday, my friends! It's a pretty day outside. As I'm writing, I realize I haven't looked at today's to-do list, but I have a feeling hoeing the garden is on the list. It will be a good day for that.

When I finished yesterday's slow-stitching, I looked across the room to see Smitty waiting expectantly for me to do something.


Okay, Buddy. We went and took a little walk around the house. Smitty's shadow self wanted to come too.


One of the rosebuds has opened. This is a very fragrant rose. I forget it's actual name.


There are more coming. I haven't checked this morning, but the deer may have already eaten them. They only eat the buds. Once the flowers open, they are safe from nibbling for some reason. I suppose the buds are the most tender and tasty, but what do I know?


The daylilies should be blooming soon. They've put up plenty of stalks.


And lookie here! The red cardinal clematis is beginning to bloom. There were several more flowers that were close to opening. Now I'm excited to get outside and see what it did overnight.


When it was time to head back inside, I found Smitty in his usual stealth position under the umbrella tree. Do you see him? I think his camouflage is perfect here.


In sewing news, I worked on the block for When Quilter's Gather until I had the right side finished. There, I took a break and had some lunch.


When I came back to it, I had a good start on the left side. The sections there were small with very small pieces.


If you understand how this technique works, then you know how important the little tick marks on the pattern are. Nevertheless, when the pieces get very tiny, it isn't always easy to use the tick marks. Sometimes I make the mistake of using colored pencils too similar in color, and then I can have difficulty getting the pieces oriented correctly. I think I sewed together the section marked in pink below in every possible wrong way before getting it right. 


The remaining sections have larger pieces, and so the rest should go together more easily. And I misspoke yesterday when I said it went from "A" to "Q." Make that "A" to "S." I'll be starting with section "M" this morning, and so I'm getting close to the end.

And happy, happy, joy, joy, the lavender is blooming! 


It was time for Bees Knees cocktails...another perennial favorite around here.


We had a light dinner of some Italian Hero Sandwiches. As a side dish, I made this Roasted Asparagus Wrapped in Prosciutto. It's easy to do, and it's a tasty way to enjoy this season's nice asparagus. It made a good side dish for the sandwiches.


Yesterday's slow stitching was devoted to stitching up the names and places for the next Shop Hop blocks.


When I finish the block I'm working on, I'll get to work on these two blocks. They go together fairly easily. And then, I can't remember what's next. I guess we'll all find out at the same time. 

For now, it's our Sunday morning Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes, and then it will be time to get on with my day. I hope y'all have a good Sunday planned for yourselves. It's bright and sunny here...the makings of a good day to spend outside, but there will be plenty of time in the sewing room too.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

The happiness of the bee and the dolphin is to exist. For man, it is to know that and to wonder at it. ~ Jacques Yves Cousteau

Julierose said...

I really don't know how you can do that teeney paper piecing and not go out of your mind!! I don't like paper piecing to begin with, so I must congratulate you on your ability to stay sane and do this--all kidding aside--really nice results;)))!!!
what a pretty rose--I love all the shades in it.
That asparagus looks delish...hugs, Julierose

Barbara said...

Do you hVe a Kaffe Fassett rose?
https://www.kaffefassett.com/gallery/kaffe-fassett-rose/

piecefulwendy said...

Those rose petals look like velvet - lovely. Smitty - handsome fella. Those little FPP pieces are fussy little buggers, but you're nailing it. Salude to the Bee's Knees!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Really wish my computer had smell-o-vision because I'd love to sniff that beautiful rose. On the other hand, maybe it's a good thing I don't because the lavender would make me sneeze.

MissPat said...

Do the deer not eat the daylily buds as well as the roses? They can wipe out all the daylilies in oner night, sometimes even after I've sprayed deer repellent on every flower. Two nights ago the ate all the tops off the Starfire Phlox.
Pat

karen said...

Nationl sewing machine day is Tuesday. Sew your little hearts out. !