3/31/23

Lots of Sewing

Good morning, my friends! It's the same old gray old day outside. We keep hoping it will warm up. We get a little taste of it now and then, which gives us hope that summer will come eventually. Yesterday we had our grocery shopping to do, and so I wasn't able to get any sewing done until fairly late in the day. 

Of course, I couldn't leave home until I'd done a bit of slow stitching. I had the Baking Biscuits block nearly finished when we left, and then I finished the last of it when we got home.


From there, I quilted the fourth of six blocks for the "maps" quilt...this one. It will all make sense eventually.


And then I quilted the associated objects on the black background. This is going so much better than expected. It makes me look forward to getting back to it today. Sorry...just little peeks for you. Any guesses?


It was tempting to keep going, but I wanted to finish off the "Baking Biscuits" block too. Okay, so I stopped there and headed into the sewing room to finish puzzling this out.


Here are the first four of 20 blocks I'll need for this quilt:


There was only about a half hour left before I needed to get started on dinner. The next blocks for Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage were four rail fence blocks. I figured I could get those done, and so I went digging through my scraps and cut all the pieces.


And then, it was pretty quick to sew them together. That makes 11 of 42 blocks I'll need to finish off my quilt. Thirty-one to go.


Today I'll be making five "Alternative Nine-Patches." They look like this. I have an idea this quilt block has a different name. When I Googled it, I didn't find anything helpful.


It was time to stop then, but I took the first stitches on Block 7 for the Domestic Affairs quilt while we watched the news. I'll get a little more done on it this morning.


So the day kind of flew by. Today will be less busy. I'm trying a new recipe for a Lemon Cheesecake Tart. I'll be adapting mine to make it "for two," and I'll bake it in a 6-inch tart pan. It should be a fun experiment. Of course, I'll let you know how it turns out in tomorrow's post. Aside from a couple of short housekeeping chores, it's going to be a mostly sewing day. After such a busy day yesterday, I'm looking forward to slowing down a little bit.

7 comments:

Barbara said...

Because you don't live near a bakery doesn't mean you have to go without cheesecake. ~ Hedy Lamarr

Chris K. said...

According to Blockbase+, it's an Irish Chain block if alternated with plain blocks. The only other descriptive name given is Sheepfold Quilt.

Ila said...

I think it's an uneven 9 patch :-)

Shepherdess55 said...

I agree with Ila. It's a variation of Uneven Nine Patch. Another is when the four corners are wider than the five in the center. I hope you're able to open this link to see the picture of what I'm describing.

https://i0.wp.com/criativepatterns.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/06/Quilt-Block-Uneven-Nine-Patch-3.jpg

piecefulwendy said...

I like your variety of projects. No help on the nine patch name, though!

Anonymous said...

Barbara, I recognized this block right away as one I have always known as ‘Puss in the Corner’. It is a really old block, so it probably has other names as well.
Sandra B
scb23229@yahoo.com

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I think that 'baking biscuits' block would be a fun one for Resident Chef who is well known for his tea biscuits (heaven help him if he turns up to a family function without them).
Lemon Cheesecake - yes, please!