2/25/23

Snowed In

Happy chilly Saturday to you, my friends! We're snowed in here at the Three Cats Ranch. I'm imagining the main roads are probably passable, but we can't get out of our driveway. I'm very glad we did our grocery shopping on Wednesday because we haven't been able to get out since Thursday. Mike put on his boots yesterday and filled the bird feeders. I imagine the birdies are grateful, although they never say so.

Sadie is not happy about this white stuff at all.


She can't go outside, and there's precious little sunshine inside for warming her tiny body. She did find this one little sliver yesterday.


Looking outside, I was amused by the hummingbird feeder with its snowcap. Also, notice the spots on the window. That's hummingbird poop. Don't blame me...I'm just the messenger.


No doubt, the "nectar" is frozen. We generally have Anna's hummingbirds year-round, but I haven't seen any for several weeks. It's probably too cold for them just now.

Looking out another direction, the avalanche on our garage roof holds on, but the gap between the upper and lower is getting wider. We're supposed to get above freezing today, and I expect the warmer temps and sunshine will bring it thundering down. I use that word "thundering" intentionally, because that's how it sounds when it lets loose.


Okay, so we're not going outside. Let's do some sewing, okay? I did the day's inchy. This one was all backstitch. She didn't say anything about the contents of the teaspoon, so I'm waiting to see what color we'll put there. 


I had one housekeeping chore, and then I went to work on the quilting. Here's what I meant when I said the next round of leaves is oddly shaped. See the overlapping leaves in the middle of the image below?


Should I quilt these long skinny leaves outlined in red?


Or should I quilt the leaf behind it outlined in green?


I could do both at once, but I decided to stick with the long skinny top leaf. For the first one, I did a traditional feather.


For the next one, I outlined each side of the main center vein, and then filled in with circles.


For the next one, I did a series of echoing lines.


And then I did a sort of "ferny" feather on the fourth one.


Four leaves at a time is a good amount for a single day. I run out of ideas, and I get tired of doing it. Besides, when I spend all my time at Eliza upstairs, I start missing my sewing room downstairs. It seemed like a good time to get started sewing together the quilt top for New Mexico Kitchen. 

While I was in the process of making the quilt blocks, I pulled several fabrics from my stash that were potentially useful. I've been thinking about this for a while. I have about a yard of this one along with some scrap pieces. 


It's a fabric from one of the first quilts I ever made...this "Salsa" quilt I made for Erik way back before I even started blogging. If I'm remembering correctly, I used that fabric on the back.


This is how the quilt looks on the pattern cover.
The middle border there is made from crosscuts of many strips sewn together. I really don't want to do that, and so I have my own ideas about how to finish this off. First, I wanted to fussy cut some of the elements from the fabric shown above to make cornerstones.


Sadie is here to help me explain the rest. I'm using that fabric where she sits to make little strips in the sashing between the blocks.


Here's the first one:


I'm only using the cornerstones in the quilt's center; meaning, six in all. I might have done them all the way around, but I wanted each one to be different, and six was my limit. Here's the second block sewn to the first.


I was coming to the end of my sewing day when I added the third block, completing the top row.


That's where I left it. Today I'll just continue on, adding the blocks until they're all sewn together. Then I'll add three borders, using different fabric to substitute for all those little colored squares. It will look similar, but it will be less tedious. I doubt I'll get it finished today, but I'll keep working on it until it's done.

Also on today's agenda: do the day's inchy, quilt four more leaves, sew quilt blocks together, and do my workout. I've been slacking off on my workout in order to have time to bake things like cherry pies and banana bread. It gives me an upper arm workout as I bend my arm lifting my fork to my mouth. You might call it a "resistance" workout, except there's no resistance. As everyone knows, resistance is futile. Maybe I need a heavier fork...or more reps. It will be a tasty experiment either way.

So we'll continue on in our snowy abode. I'm really hoping we can get out of here tomorrow. There's a sale this weekend on a product I use daily. I'd really like to take advantage of the lower price, but wrecking the car would probably defeat the money-saving purpose. Better safe than sorry, right? And the same applies to you, my friends. Stay home and stay safe. It's a wild world out there.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

Sunshine is delicious, rain is refreshing, wind braces us up, snow is exhilarating; there is really no such thing as bad weather, only different kinds of good weather. ~ John Ruskin

piecefulwendy said...

Your choice of fabrics for the NM quilt is perfect! Nice that you had those fabrics on hand! Enjoy your snowed in day. The sun is shining here, and it's supposed to get up to 27. Heat wave!

Karen said...

I get a sense of oncoming, if not full fledged cabin fever.
Hug the kitties, you'll be fine.
Mexico quilt is looking great.
Butter here is 3.69 at the Amish store. 3.99 at one of the chain store.
Still winter here too. Husbands birthday is today (so no cooking for me. Yea!) Making runs to his favorite prepared foods. It's wet burritos later.

Pam Dempsey said...

I wonder Miss Karen what a wet burrito is? I live in northeast Texas. Oh, what pretty snow! We have just had some rain and a little cooler weather, 50s. I hope you last until you can get out to shop! 🤗

Katie said...

I love the fabric you chose to make the sashings have a stripey bonus. And the cornerstone fabric is fun as well. We have little snow here (unusual), but had an ice/freezing rain storm here Wednesday (not all that unusual for this time of year) and when the temperature the next day warmed to 40, every time the wind blew, we had an ice avalanche raining down our roof (and elsewhere) from bits melt-breaking from the trees. The cats were all on edge, but I can imagine a snow avalanche would be just as disconcerting. Of course, then it got cold again so now we just have an ice rink where our driveway used to be and all the stores are out of sidewalk salt. (We have some because we are responsible Midwesterners, but working retail you realize just how many are not!) Anyways, I hope you get thawed out soon and the avalanche isn't too terrible and Sadie gets some sunshine to bathe in.

Nancy said...

Our snow here is melting. The roads are looking better but any shades]d areas are still very slick. Our daughter came over in her Subaru for a run to the stores. They were packed out, you best stay home. I was out of fresh veggies so I went.

We have been feeding the Anna’s. We have hummingbird Heinie warmers under the feeders to keep them thawed. They spend a great deal of time sitting above the warmer and chasing off other hummers that dare to try and land. I am sure Sadie would love to watch them.

The New Mexico quilt is looking really good. I love the colors.

Karen said...

Pam, I didn't see a email...
A wet burrito is a burrito covered in sauce smothered in cheese. Beyond yumm.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm looking at the teeny little pieces on the border in the original New Mexico pattern and muttering to myself as I'm facing doing something similar with my hexie quilt. Remind me how much I hate sane quilting!!!