2/24/23

Dazzling Day

Good morning, my friends. Are you keeping warm...or cool? Depending on which part of the country you're in, you're probably breaking some kind of weather record. Here, we had more snow fall in a single day than we have since 1943. Pretty impressive. And when the sun came out in the afternoon, it was a dazzling display.


After finishing my post yesterday, I stopped off at the "necessary room" on my way down the stairs. Our window there looks out on the roof of the garage. With our new metal roof, the snow won't stick very well, and we're often listening to avalanches of snow as they slide off and fall to the ground below. One is wise to stay out from under the eaves these days. Here, you can see a crack forming.


Sadie was mystified by the whole thing. She stared out the window for a good part of the morning. Later, she thought she might venture outside. We opened the door. When a blast of cold air hit her nose, she folded up like an accordion and headed back inside. Smitty did the same thing a little later. 


We were a little worried about them getting buried in an avalanche from the roof. It was just as well they weren't interested in being outside. They spent most of their day tied in knots, someplace warm.



So, my next task of the morning was to do the day's inchy. This one has blanket stitch, double lazy daisy, stem stitch, French knots, and the dreaded bullion stitch. Stitched without tears. And this is the first time I've done this stitch without first having to watch the video tutorial.


And then, before doing anything else, I baked this Orange Banana-nut Bread for National Banana Bread Day. I wanted to be prepared in case any inspectors showed up at the door wanting to see if we were in compliance.


I tried to find the recipe online. It's from Cooking Light, and Cooking Light is no longer publishing its magazine. They have other recipes online, but I couldn't find this one, so I'll give it to you here.

Orange Banana-Nut Bread
Recipe from Cooking Light
Makes 1 standard loaf

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana (about 3 bananas)
1 1/2 tablespoons orange rind, grated
3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1/3 cup walnuts, chopped
Cooking spray

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.  Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring with a whisk.

Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute).  Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.  Add banana, rind, and juice; beat until blended.  Add flour mixture; beat at low speed just until moist.  Stir in walnuts; spoon batter into an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool 10 minutes in pan on a wire rack; remove from pan.  Cool completely on wire rack.

Just FYI: I didn't have enough banana. There were just two in my freezer, and I needed just a little more. I added some unsweetened applesauce to make up the difference, and that worked out fine.

Okay, so with my banana bread responsibility fulfilled, I was ready to do some sewing. Another four leaves were completed. The first was a sort of alternating over and under swoopy hook. I missed a few times with my "alternating," and a few are going in the wrong direction, but we're going to ignore that.


For the next one, I stitched over the veins and then filled in with an upsy-downsy thingy.


For this one, I stitched in the footprint of the three-toed sloth.


And for the last one, I stitched over the veins and filled in with a sideways version of the upsy-downsy thingy. 


At this point, I've quilted about half the radius. The next round of leaves are oddly shaped, and so I'll have to see what my hands do before I know what I'm going to quilt.


It's difficult to see the quilting from the back, but you can see the texture from this angle.


It was late in the day by this time, and the roof avalanche was still hanging on...looking threatening. I haven't checked it yet today. It's very cold here this morning. It's just 17°F with a windchill factor of 11°F. (And I know some of you are colder than that. You have my sympathy.)


As I've mentioned, it's shrimp week here at the Three Cats Ranch. I've used three of the four pounds of shrimp I scored last week. Last night's dinner was Red Curry Shrimp Cakes. It's another Cooking Light recipe and surprisingly simple to make. I made it even easier by placing the shrimp cakes on a sheet pan and then roasting them in my toaster oven instead of frying them, as the recipe suggests. I preheated the toaster oven to 450°F and then baked them for 20 minutes. They came out perfectly.


They were served up alongside some Vegetable and Shiitake "Himalayan Dumplings" from the Farmer's Market. You might know these better as "potstickers." Those were super easy too. They came frozen with two different sauces. The sauces were so hot they nearly blew our heads off. We ended up using some refrigerated sauces in the form of Hoisin, Thai Peanut, Oyster sauce, and Mae Ploy. (We refer to the Mae Ploy affectionately as "hoi polloi.") They were all preferable to the packaged sauces. We thought we might end up in the emergency department if we ate the super hot ones. And with the snow like it is...well...it could have been a terminal eating experience. 

Okay, so I believe we're stuck here for a few days. It's beautiful to look at, but treacherous to venture out. Today will probably go much like yesterday, but I might get started sewing together the quilt top for New Mexico Kitchen. It's next on my list, and it would make a nice break from quilting leaves.


I've been thinking about this for a while, and I have some good ideas about how to finish it off. More about that later. Until then, stay warm (or cool), and stay safe.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

I love spicy food, love it. But wasabi is just painful. ~ Devon Werkheiser

Anonymous said...

Your snow pictures are awesome! While you are dealing with all that snow, here in central Virginia we reached the mid 80’s yesterday…they say that our high yesterday was the highest temperature recorded in our area, in the month of February, ever!! I took advantage of the nice weather and did some cleanup in our planting beds. It was really nice to be working outside, except for dealing with tree pollen (one of my worst allergies…UGH!!!)
Your Orange Banana Bread sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Have a great day….stay warm!
Sandra B
scb23229@yahoo.com

Nancy said...

It is another dazzling day here in the PNW. I want to brag that we just hit 32 degrees here at our house. I am beginning to see some dripping. Luckily yesterday the wind blow much of the snow off the roof. Our gutters where buried before that happened now as we get melting we have a chance it will go into the gutters. We still can’t drive out of our neighborhood. We live in a hilly area and no way to get up that slippery hill. We haven’t had much traffic in our area. I hear the main thoroughfare is fairly clear but still has spots of ice. It is nothing but sew day here. Not that I don’t have housework to do I just think I will ignore it, rebel that I am.

Sara said...

That is beautiful snow! It looks just like this part of SD right now - minus the mountain in the background of course. I had a garden rake yesterday trying to dislodge the snow on the roof above our deck. Some came off but we're still waiting for a big avalanche to come down. Since I'm pretty short, and not about to actually climb onto that roof I had to be satisfied with a small avalanche.

kc said...

Leaves are coming along nicely..so imaginative. The little knots look so comfy and cozy. The snow is pretty, but, geez....Brrr. makes me glad I yam where I yam, if ya know what i mean! I'll take my shorts and flippies over that mess any day. Every day! We are cozying up our new trailer, getting ready to hit the road in a couple of weeks, just for a weekend of eating and dancing. And maybe a 2 hr catboat ride, through the canals of Mt. Dora. Should be fun!

Susan said...

Your quilt is looking good. Your cats definitely know how to deal with the weather. The bread looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

piecefulwendy said...

Your inchie stitching is so pretty. What stitch is that on the stem? I think that's what I was supposed to use on my TT block. Glad you are tucked in and warm - those shrimp cakes and potstickers looks really yummy.

Quilter Kathy said...

Amazing creativity going on there! I adore the inchy and all the various stitches that that tiny block used... FUN! So glad there were no tears!!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Yuck - good days to stay inside!
I do hope you're making a dictionary of those very technical quilting terms for the rest of us to benefit from.
Yay for a return of New Mexico Kitchen - wonderful to see those amazing colours on yet another dull day here. I think the sun is on strike.

QuiltGranma said...

Thank you for the orange banana nut bread recipe, I copy and pasted it to a word document for later reference.