2/18/23

Sandwiches for Nine

Good morning, my friends. I'm writing fast this morning since I'm heading off to the Beaverton Farmer's Market with Erik and Mae this morning. It's such a nice way to start a day. Looking outside, it's pretty foggy. We're not expecting rain this morning. Rain will probably start a little later this afternoon. It's one of the things we can count on here in Oregon. In winter, it's rain, rain, and more rain.

When I left you yesterday, I was heading off to walk the plank of the dreaded cast-on stitch for the day's inchy. This one actually turned out pretty well.


I'm proud of myself because I only uttered one four-letter word when I had a false start on the first petal. I have trouble with my floss getting wound up as I make the loops over the needle, and then everything gets tangled up. Fortunately, with the first petal, it was easy enough to cut out all that knotted floss and start over. After that...smooth sailing. If you're interested in seeing how this is stitched, Meg Hawkey has an excellent tutorial on her website. If you can't see the video, then click right here.


Okay, so with that bit of stitching frustration defeated, I was ready to get back to my quilt sandwiches. The next one in line was the flannel French Roses quilt. I'll be tying this one. When the time comes, I'll set up at our dining room table with some Knit Cro-Sheen and start knotting.


Next up was the Dancing Chickens and Flying Pigs quilt. I've left a wide outer border on this, and I'll probably cut it down some. When the binding is sewn on, I'll still want to do an embroidered running stitch all around the outer edge just inside the binding.


There were four quilts in yesterday's grouping, and so with these two, I was half finished. Taking a lesson from the pain of the day before, I decided to take a break there. It was lunchtime, and I was hungry. 

It was a sunny day, although chilly, and so I took a walk outside to see what the kitties were up to. They've taken to hanging out next to this lithodora, where they've discovered a veritable mouse garden. They wait patiently for some movement, and then POUNCE! Sadie is especially good at this. She comes out with a mouse almost every time, which she generously hands off to Smitty for his consumption. 


Sadie rarely eats the critters she catches. We believe this is behavior she learned as a mama cat. She probably learned to hunt and provide for her two kittens, and so she waits for others to eat first. Smitty, for his part, sits close by, keeping an eye out for danger and providing meoworal support. Also, he has a taste for mousies, so he's appurreciative of her efforts.

But blood, guts, and gore aside, it was time to get back to the final two quilts. Next was the Blackwork Baskets quilt. I'm trying to think of another name for this one.


And last for sandwiching, but probably next for quilting...the "Maps" quilt. You can't see it until May 1st. Sorry.


And there you have it: Nine quilts for quilting. It's like the feeling of power you get when you have a full gas tank.


When I set my goal for February's 


I committed to sandwiching eight quilts. Another was added in the interim, and so I should get some bonus points for the ninth quilt, don't you think? Either way, I'll link up when the party starts at the end of the month.

Next up, I'm going to get started quilting the Dream Big Leaf panel. It's been hanging out draped over Eliza for the past several weeks, and now they are the best of friends.


I haven't decided for sure yet, but I might decide to do this with some color of metallic thread to give it a little sparkle. It's a frosty leaf, and so the sparkle might be nice. On the other hand, if the thread misbehaves, I might be sorry I ever started. For now, I'm still thinking it over.

Right now, it's time to head for the shower. Erik will be squeezing orange juice for our breakfast just about now. They bring freshly squeezed OJ, proper metal forks, and cloth napkins for our market-bought breakfast. It's going to be a nice way to start the day.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

Our deep respect for the land and its harvest is the legacy of generations of farmers who put food on our tables, preserved our landscape, and inspired us with a powerful work ethic. ~ James H. Douglas, Jr.

Jay said...

A flannel French Roses! What a brilliant idea. I imagine the roses will be so nicely frayed and soft after washing. Now I think I'll have to collect more flannels to make my own! Thanks for the inspiration, Barbara

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Great accomplishment to get nine quilts layered. I have 4 out of 5 quilted and bound. If I get to the 5th this month, I will be very happy. Still a lot more to go in that big tub. I may treat myself to sending out the two largest and 'quilt by check'.

Anne Kirby said...

My goal was 3, I've done 2. I do them on the floor with painter's tape and spray baste. I bend, I don't kneel or sit lol. But yeah, just 1 more this month!

Vicki W said...

That's an impressive amount of quilt basting! You deserved a lvoely breakfast.

Karrin Hurd said...

Congratulations on meeting your goal for quilt basting! Great work!

piecefulwendy said...

I think of you often when I'm basting a quilt, and what a great idea to just baste a bunch at a time. I don't have the space for that right now, but maybe it will work better in my new quilt room (or outdoors this summer). Your black basket quilt reminds me of the Santa Fe Farmers Market where baskets and color abound!

Lina said...

Lovely progress on the quilts.

CathieJ said...

I can't imagine having that many quilt tops waiting for sandwiching. I usually complete one at a time. Wow! I think they are all fabulous and I look forward to seeing your quilting.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

You definitely deserve bonus points! I can't even begin to imagine how sore my back would be even after having done one much less nine!

Susan said...

What a great way to start the day. You did a lot to reach that goal AND surpass it. Congratulations!

Anne-Marie said...

Well done! The ninth counts for sure.