2/17/23

Making Sandwiches

Good morning, my friends. It's Friday. If you're a working person, the weekend is nearly here. And if you're a person who works weekends...well, you have my sympathy. There was a time when I worked in a hospital, and so I know the pain of working weekends and holidays.

Speaking of pain...sheesh. It probably wasn't a good idea to do a resistance workout and make quilt sandwiches in the same day. (Makes mental note.) By day's end yesterday, my body was screaming. I iced my knee and my neck, and then could barely get out of the chair. Some Aleve and a couple of hours of sitting cured me, and I'm feeling fine this morning. Today, I'll sandwich the rest of the quilt tops and call it good. No workouts aside from that.

Of course, I can't start the day without a little slow-stitching. This was yesterday's inchy.


Eventually, there will be some sort of three-dimensional flower at the top of the cup. I have an idea she's holding off on some of the fancier stitches so they don't get in our way. We'll see what today holds. Could be the flower. Could be the next inchy square. She's keeping us guessing.

From there, we went to work setting up the sawhorse tables, and I was in the sandwich-making business. I do these from largest to smallest, and so the first ones are always the hardest. I started with Ties & Tails, which is a huge quilt at 92 x 72 inches. It covered almost the entirety of my plywood table top.


The Catnip quilt is large as well, but a big step down from Ties & Tales.


Next up...Strips & Stripes. I really like this quilt. A friend in Arizona has already spoken up for it.


Then the Heartland Barns. I really like this quilt too.


I might have stopped there, but I had enough time to do one more. Pieces of the Past was next, and I went ahead with it. It makes today's list shorter.


So there's my stack of five quilts so far. I'll have four more by day's end.


I'm hoping the process will be less painful today. In any case, it's Mike's day to work out, and the tables are already set up. There are lots of reasons to think today's sandwiches will be easier on my aging bones and joints.

Just now, I noticed the newest inchy has been posted. The dreaded cast-on stitch is included in today's stitching. There's no rest for the wicked today. Four more quilt sandwiches and five cast-on stitch flower petals. It's possible I'll be ended by my sewing today. At least I'll die doing what I love.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

Life is good when you have a good sandwich. ~ Keanu Reeves

Pam Dempsey said...

Oh, my! I hope you survive, pace yourself! That’s a lot of work 🤗

Jenny said...

All those beautiful quilts! I remember you working on some of them, but a couple were a surprise to me.

Lyndsey said...

Great work sandwiching all those quilts. I like all of them but I love the catnip quilt. Sorry to hear you were achy and sore after your work out and making the quilt sandwiches but at least the quilts being done today will be smaller and so less heavy. Moving large quilts is a workout in itself. Take care.

Susan said...

I had forgotten about the Catnip quilt. Great work on all of them. I am achy and sore after shoveling snow mixed with ice yesterday.

piecefulwendy said...

You had a lot of energy going on with the workout and the sandwiching. Glad you are feeling less aches and pains today. I'm pretty sure you will nail that dreading stitch - your embroidery is beautiful!

Vivian Helena said...

Question, are you spraying or Thread basting your layers? I used a picnic table outside, because I am spray basting. But have to shift at the end of the table. Love your quilts. You are so organized, it is great. Need to make more of my day that is for sure. Love your blog.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I like all of these quilts but you know my heart lies with the barns. I do love the colours in Strips and Stripes though.