12/19/22

Plenty of Sewing

Good morning, my friends. It was a more energetic day yesterday. I must have needed a day to chill before I could get back up to speed. Yesterday morning saw me taking the first stitches on Bernie Sanders and his mittens. I'm going to use some different colors on the mittens. Since I had a snip of red floss loose in my project box, I went ahead and stitched it onto the piece to get it out of my way. I haven't decided yet just how I'm going to use the different colors I've selected. Also, I can see that I need to take a look at his right eye and try to open it up some with some careful couching.


When it was time to move into the sewing room, Smitty was there at attention. He missed sewing the day before. Mostly he missed the catnip treat that is served up when he helps out.


I finished off three more Shop Hop blocks. In yesterday's post, I shared the reasons for choosing these fabrics to represent the shops. Today, I'll link to the posts I wrote about them. You can find my post about the Patchwork Pig right here. This was a big shop with lots of pretty fabrics.


There was no post about this next one, but I did write a post about our visit to the lake that year that mentions the quilt shop. You can take a little look around inside while you're there. 


When all the blocks are made, there will be 25 in all. So far, I have 18 finished. I started making them three at a time just to move this quilt along. I'm already collecting fabrics for my next Shop Hop quilt, and so I need to get this one finished.


Yesterday, I realized I'd made some of the blocks wrong, and that was discouraging. If you look at the images below, you can see there are gray strips sewn to the right and left side. One strip is wider than the other. I've made most of the blocks with the wider strip on the left side like this one:


During the last two go-rounds, I've reversed them like the one below. 


I'm going to have to fix them. It's not a major fix, just time consuming. As I've been thinking about this, I've decided to sort out the ones that are sewn wrong and repair one or two each sewing day. They'll get fixed, and it won't be too much of a burden to make them right.

When those were finished, I went to work on the next Vintage Linen block. This will be Block 8 of the nine I need. The time went faster than expected. When I looked at the clock, it was time to start dinner. I still have a couple of rounds to get this to the right size. It was hard to decide how to cut the center block to make it a pentagon shape. It seemed oddly cut at first, but as I added strips, it started looking right.


I'm kind of excited to get these finished because I have a good idea about how to set the blocks. It should be pretty if I can make it will work.

So I'll continue on with my sewing today. The forecast keeps telling us it will be very cold, and we're expecting a little snow this afternoon. So far, not much is happening weather-wise. Originally, we'd planned a camping trip starting today, but then rescheduled it for after the first of the year. Getting off the mountain in the snow is always a problem, but we were more worried about getting back home at the end of the week, when temperatures will be coldest.

I'd say I'm looking forward to an NBS day, but there is a little housework on the agenda. Maybe I'll just say it's going to be a POS day (Plenty of Sewing). It's a POS day for another reason though (referring to the "Men in Black" translation of POS). There is something weighing heavily on my mind. There is a problem I wish I could solve, but realistically I can do nothing about. It's not something I want to write about in this public forum, but it is dragging me down. It would be nice if I could just stop thinking about it. Sewing helps, but it doesn't stop my busy brain from carrying on looking for solutions to the unsolvable. Music turned up loud should help. Getting out for a walk would help too, but the weather isn't going to cooperate today. Chin up, I tell myself. Things have a way of working themselves out in time.

13 comments:

Barbara said...

Ideas are things that happen at any time because you're constantly thinking and evaluating life as if it were an eternally unsolvable math problem, which it is. ~ Greg Gutfeld

Sara said...

I hope you can make peace with your unsolvable problem. Happy stitching on the Bernie project. It's a sight that just brings a smile to my face.

Soapstone Quilts said...

It’s difficult & frustrating when one’s mind won’t bend one’s will. It is never as simple as “just don’t worry about it”. I hope it either resolves itself or that it eventually isn’t front & center in your mind. (Hug)

MissPat said...

Maybe Bernie is just winking at you. I hate those issues that you just can't let go of (or that won't let go of you). I hope you find a peaceful resolution.
Pat

Julierose said...

Bernie is coming along well--he does look as if he is pondering things...
I seem to have that "monkey brain" looping around at night when I go to bed.
Hope your issue can be resolved happily...hugs, Julierose

Katie said...

Bernie looks a bit crosseyed to me, but it sounds like you have that well in hand. Same for the blocks. I, too, like doing a little at a time to knock out unpleasant tasks. As for the trouble weighing on your mind, I hope you find a resolution or at least the mindset needed to put your mind at ease with it. I understand completely.

laufband said...

Hi Babara, it is so amazing;)

Kate said...

At least you found the errors before you had it all assembled. I tend to binge watch Netflix or read if I can't get my mind off a problem. Hopefully what is unsolvable will resolve itself in the best way possible.

piecefulwendy said...

Situations where I can't fix the problem are so frustrating to me at times. Cat therapy helps, and all those other things you mentioned. Life is just plain hard sometimes. Crank up the music, dance, cook something comforting - whatever helps!

Sara said...

Are the Vintage Linen blocks from purchased vintage linens, or are you embroidering those centers? I have quite a few old linens I've purchased over the years and thinking that using them in projects like this would be good.

Bernie is so fun!!

QuiltGranma said...

Since I've never watched Men In Black, I do not get your reference. I will be praying for you two that whatever the problem may be that our Lord will help you through the problem.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I went back and forth between those two blocks and for the life of me I can't figure out what's different.
I hope you can resolve the issue you're dealing with, if not in a way that's perfect, at least in a way that you can live with.

SJSM said...

Bernie makes me smile, too. Tackling the mis-sewn pieces a few at a time makes the task less onerous. I do that at times, too.

Life infringes on our tranquility. Hopefully not as a regular way living. I hope you find a resolution or find peace soon enough.