10/25/22

Quilting Commences

Good morning, my friends. It seems things will be pretty much back to what passes for normal around here today. There is one housekeeping chore on the calendar, and then I'm going to start quilting "I Believe in Snowmen." It has been lounging over Eliza and her chair literally for months.


There was about a ton of weeds to pull earlier in the day on Sunday, but I got 'er done. Also, I cut back the peonies and groomed the cucumbers still growing in the greenhouse. Earlier, Mike fertilized them and turned their water back on. I cut stray vines that were growing out over the greenhouse floor, and removed all the cucumbers "giganticus." As I worked, I noticed there were some tiny cucumbers coming on. If the plant doesn't freeze, I might end up with enough to make some refrigerator pickles. When I finished up my outdoor chores for the day, I'd accumulated a pile of cuttings three feet high.


I was pretty well worn out by then, but decided I'd at least get the machine set up for quilting...checking tension, lubricating, changing to a new needle. And I want to make this as difficult as possible for myself, or so it seems. I've chosen my favorite go-to white metallic thread for when I'm quilting snow. I like the little bit of sparkle it gives.


It's a Sulky thread. I've had trouble finding this lately, so I hope it isn't being discontinued. I really love it for quilting snow.


And since quilting with metallic thread isn't already hard enough, I decided to use a monofilament in the bobbin. If you've never worked with monofilament thread, then you might not know it comes dressed in a "netting" to keep it from unspooling.


And if you can imagine 10,000 yards of that thread off the spool...well...enough said.


Smitty could not believe I'd made these thread decisions without his input.


It was good he showed up just then and gave me the paws that refresh.


Despite my difficult thread choices, my tension was perfect right from the get-go. I don't know about you, but that seems like a good omen to me. I just barely got started on the quilting, checking the back frequently to avoid any surprises.


Each block will tell me how I should quilt it. They'll all be different, but I found a similar quilt on Pinterest, and I'll let that inspire me as I go along.

Yesterday was a busy day. I had my annual physical in the morning. While there, I got my flu shot and a pneumonia booster. It seems I was due. We have appointments to get our COVID booster in a couple of weeks. The flu shot generally makes me sick, and I'm feeling pretty crummy this morning. I had a couple of slices of toast and took some Tylenol. That helped a little. When I finish here, I'll sit and do some slow-stitching for a while, and see if I feel any better then. Speaking of slow-stitching, I'm making progress on the Joyful Journey piece. I've filled the first section, and I'll start with a fresh unstitched portion today.


And, no, the painters did not come yesterday. It's so aggravating. We've decided to go ahead and let the carpet be laid. We'd hoped to get that done after the painting, but we're worn out waiting for the reconstruction contractor to do even a single thing he says he's going to do. The show must go on. We can at least put things back in order and they'll have to work around the furniture when they replace the doors and baseboards. As if. And...maybe a miracle will happen and they'll actually come and finish up before the carpet is laid. Wouldn't that be something? It would be kind of like having my sewing machine tension be correct right from the get-go. We probably should start up a pool and we can place wagers on the date I can say the project is completely finished.

Okay, so my slow-stitching awaits. Housework might have to wait until I'm feeling a little better. I'm hoping I'll feel good enough to get back to my quilting. I started "I Believe in Snowmen" back in June of 2019. It's only my second oldest UFO, but the oldest isn't sandwiched yet. Either way, I'll be happy to get it finished and move on to the next one. 

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Vaccines are the tugboats of preventive health. ~ William Foege

Quilter Kathy said...

Good luck with the quilting (and the renos)!
So fun to let your intuitive creativity lead the way!
I love the photo of the "paw approval"!

Sara said...

That quilt is going to be so cute! Great thread choice.

How frustrating to have contractors who don't show up when promised. We had a similar issue with the guys replacing a section of the drain tiling outside our house recently. Kept telling my husband they would call and schedule it. They finally showed up yesterday, following a call about 30 minutes before they got here. But they got it done finally.

Jenny said...

You've make a great start with the snowmen. How frustrating to be waiting for tradesmen to reappear and complete the work. It seems to be a worldwide problem.

Julierose said...

Feel better soon--i felt ill from my two shots, too...
Nice that you could do some slow stitching...
Waiting for painters is so annoying--hope they come soon....hugs, Julierose

SJSM said...

Long gone are the days where I did my own painting. Frankly, once professional painters get going they are faster and do a better job than I can do. The only room left that I painted is our master bath. I did not sand the woodwork well enough and the white paint is peeling. It’s not a room others see often. Once we decide how to renew the space, the paint will change.

Good to see all is well with the sewing "normal". Smitty supervision and the thread gods have smiled upon you.

Karen said...

We are currently waiting on 38 new windows. First we were told November 28, which was a 12 week wait and we were ok with that-- today they said very vaguely that it will be after the new year. I'm telling myself to wait a few days before I call them up complaining.

piecefulwendy said...

I hope by now that you've recovered from your vaccines. I'm not even gonna ask about the painters. What a headache for you! The kitties are looking cute!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

So sorry you're not feeling great. I'm sure slow stitching with kitty snuggles (and Tylenol!) will have done you good.
You could write a book (filed under the 'horror' section at the library) over your experiences...or non-experiences!....with that miserable contractor.