10/26/22

Listless

As I mentioned yesterday, I was feeling rather punk after getting two vaccines the day before. Since I still haven't gotten my COVID booster, I'm expecting another day like that in a couple of weeks. Tylenol helped, but only a little. Since I was feeling "listless," I thought I'd "list" what I did yesterday and what I plan to do today.

As for yesterday:

1. Woke up

2. Ate breakfast (buttered toast and orange juice)

3. Took a nap

4. Did some slow-stitching

5. Took a nap

6. Worked on my quilting

7. Took a nap

8. Worked on my quilting some more

9. Took a nap

Yeah...there was a pattern, even if there was no list.

As for quilting, I have most of the small blocks in the middle of the quilt finished.


It's not the best quilting I've ever done. My imagination wasn't tip-top yesterday, and I was having a lot of trouble with my thread. (So much for my good omen from yesterday.) 

I'm running toward the end of my spool, and since I've had so much trouble finding this thread, I don't want to waste any of it. My friend Sharon would tell me the end of the spool always acts crazy...and she's probably right. I've tested her theory on more than one occasion by switching out a recalcitrant spool for a new one, and my problems disappeared.

In this case, the thread is catching on a burr on the plastic spool. I've taken an emery board all around it, and can't seem to get it smooth enough. So here's my solution. I'm using a thread stand, set far away from the machine. It allows the thread to come off the spool without touching the ends of the spool as it goes.


Usually when I'm quilting with metallic thread, I use a thread stand. The farther the thread is from the needle, the more time it has to uncoil and relax. Also, I use Sewer's Aid to lubricate the thread. Fortunately, I'm nearing the end of this spool, and I'll use the last of it today, probably. I'm hopeful that a new spool will solve my problems.

Today, Mike and I both have appointments with the dentist. We didn't plan it that way, and scheduling our appointments on the same day was a wild coincidence. (It's about as wild as we get these days.) Mike called yesterday to see if we could get our appointments scheduled consecutively so that we can make just one trip into downtown Portland. After 47 years of marriage, it's romance 24 hours a day, I'm telling you. What could be more romantic than spending one's morning in the dentist chair with one's partner? Follow me for more marital success tips.

Okay, so let's see today's list:

1. Woke up

2. Ate breakfast

4. Downloaded both audio and Kindle books for listening/reading while I wait for Mike at the dentist.

5. Writing blog post

6. Get ready

7. Stop off at Erik and Mae's to drop off some gifts on the way to the dentist

8. Visit the dentist

9. Unknown

Also, the painters are supposed to come today. I think we both hit a wall yesterday. We called the contractor while on speaker phone, and both of us chewed their arses about how slow, unreliable, and dishonest they've been throughout this whole debacle. Later in the day, they called to say the painter would be here this morning. The painter called later to double-check the paint colors and finishes (glossy vs. flat). Supposedly they will be here before we need to leave at 9:45. In this I have absolutely no confidence. So I might add one more thing to the list after we get home:

10. Drive to Salem.

11. Kill a contractor.

I believe they've left us no choice. No court in the land would convict us. It's clearly justifiable homicide.

All right. So with all that going on, I probably won't blog tomorrow. I doubt I'll have anything of interest to say, and Sadie has a vet appointment in the early morning. Capturing and crating her will probably take up all of my blogging time.


Okay...off I go. Time to get ready. The dentist awaits. Who doesn't envy my day?

13 comments:

Barbara said...

Trips to the dentist - I like to postpone that kind of thing. ~ Johnny Depp

dgs said...

Sorry to hear the vaccines took a toll on your day. I had my flu shot about 2 weeks ago and covid #5 last week. I was totally surprised that neither shot caused any real reaction (minor sore arms was all). I hope you next vaccine goes better, as previously we tracked about the same for vaccines. We are currently tracking the same path for Dr. & Dental appointments. But today is a hair appt. Yippee as I look like a stray dog.

Darlene

MissPat said...

Sorry your vaccine shots hit you hard. My pharmacy doesn't recommend getting more than 1 vaccine at a time. I've gotten my flu shot, but still need the latest booster which I hope to do in two weeks.
I can sympathize with the contractor issue. I had a wildlife control company come to pest-proof my house (I had both a bat and a squirrel in the house a week apart this summer.) They are about 75% done and I haven't seen them in almost 2 months. The last time they were here they took off two gutters on the upper story and inserted tubes to make sure the bats were gone. The last time I called, they said the lift had been in for repairs, but that it was back and they would finish up soon. We both know what that means.
Pat

Julierose said...

Well, today was my 3rd day in a row at the dentist--I am now temporarily "crowned" and if that isn't enough--I have an appointment re the dreaded "Root Canal" endodontist tomorrow afternoon. Not fun!!
Hope you are feeling better now--I got both shots at the same time, so i don't know which one (or both) made me ill...fun fun!!
Hugs Julierose

Karen said...

I got my flu shot last week, getting Covid bi-valent booster in an hour. Hoping it is non eventful! Hubby was pestering me about it this morning, all high and mighty since he got his yesterday!

Quilting Babcia said...

Sadie is really giving you the 'stink-eye' in that photo! Hope you're feeling better by now. No more shots for this gal, my doctor isn't recommending any more boosters and we're fine with that.

Jenny said...

Oh dear, feeling yucky then have a dentist appointment to cope with, certainly not your best day at all.

Kara E Benavides said...

I just hate it when life comes along and "adjusts" our lists. But your blogs are a bright spot filled with reality! I cannot express how much good they do me - letting me know that others, however far removed, are experiencing similar things, And, finding humor in weird places. That said, when my thread is catching on the spool, I flip the spool over. You probably already did that. I use that thread helper too. Especially right now as I am piecing scrap blocks and using up a lot of end-of-spool thread. And Smitty needs more treats, I'm sure of it. That is what Tilly told me. (1 of my 6 -cats of course)

Marcia said...

I LOVE my dentist! In fact, almost 20 years ago when he was expecting his first baby I made him a quilt! Then he had a second child and I made him a quilt. And then he had a third, and a fourth, and a fifth, and a sixth. And I made them all quilts! I still love my dentist but am sure glad he stopped having kids! :)

Mary C said...

Why is only Sadie going to the vet?

Nancy said...

You are so much stronger than I about getting vaccinated. I just hate the vomiting for the next 36 hours. I just can’t bring myself to getting another flu or pneumonia shot. Puking my guts out is just not my idea of a good time. I always missed two days of work after I would get a flu shot and would really want to stay home a third day to recover my strength.

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, poor Sadie. I know she hates those visits. And poor you and the ongoing contractor woes. Will look forward to hearing more when you post again!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

awww geez - dentist on top of feeling crummy over the flu shot? Will the fun never stop??