10/18/22

Pasco, Washington

We're just about five hours from home this morning. It will be good to be off the road. Yesterday's drive was rather dull with mile after mile of freeway, road construction, and tree-lined roads. We didn't even see very many barns. I was able to capture a few trees with their red leaves.

Here are some more. For the most part, the roads were lined on both sides with evergreens.


We crossed over the Clark Fork River at least a dozen times or more. It's clearly a winding river. I liked the places where the railroad tracks crossed over the water.



It was a cold morning, and we came upon wisps of fog every once in a while.


There were almost no barns along the way, and only a few other abandoned structures.


After a couple of hours, we crossed the state line into the Idaho panhandle and the Pacific time zone...real time, if you ask us.


It's a short distance from state line to state line in this part of Idaho. We passed by Lake Coeur d'Alene...very pretty. We were on the wrong side of the road for very good pictures.


Like I said...just a few more miles, and we crossed the state line into Washington.


Here was one of the few barns we saw. It looks like there might be more than one barn.


We have been driving on I-90 since Rapid City, South Dakota...a distance of around 1,000 miles. Finally, we turned off when we reached US Hwy 395. It felt like a milestone.


We're at the edge of the Palouse here. The wheat has been harvested, and some fields have been replanted. We've visited the Palouse a few times. It looks different depending on the time of the year. On this post, I wrote about our fall visit. On this post, we were visiting in the spring.


Here's another barn. This area is notable for vast expanses of wheat fields with just a few structures.


I worked on my first small quilt block off and on throughout the day, finishing it up when we arrived in Pasco toward the end of the day. It still needs to have the Sticky Fabri-Solvy rinsed out, but that will wait until I've finished all four of them.


Today we have a shorter drive of around 250 miles. By day's end, we'll be home. I'll probably blog at least once after we get there, but then I'll probably take a few days off while we unpack and get back to what passes for normal. For now, it's time to make breakfast and get on the road. There's probably a little time for slow-stitching as well. We've had a wonderful trip. I've appreciated having so many of you along, your suggestions, your observations, your identifications, and you being you. Thank you. Let's do it again sometime...just not right away. 

15 comments:

Barbara said...

As I travel along in this world, I’m in awe of many things, like the colors I see in autumn or the flowers that bloom in spring. To me, there is no kind of awesome that any but home can bring, like returning to wake in my old bed to hear the birds sweetly sing. ~ Unknown

Sara said...

I can tell you feel ready to be home again, even though you've had a good trip. In early February we plan to visit some family in Tuscan AZ, and now my husband has decided he wants to drive. We'll see if that actually happens. I've begun to check out some good spots along the way to stop and explore. Once we get past Kansas, it will all be new territory for me so I know I want to do some exploring.

piecefulwendy said...

Safe travels today - I'm sure you are looking forward to being back home. I've enjoyed your posts during the trip!

Julierose said...

It'll feel so good to be at home for you I am sure!! Take care and rest up hugs, Julierose

MissPat said...

I'm sure it will feel good to sleep in your own bed tonight. And the kitties will be relieved to be back home. Take your time settling in, the chores aren't going anywhere.
Pat

dgs said...

What a beautiful leg of your trip. Your final drive home looks like a beautiful one and a safe one, but I'll be happier to know once you are home and settled in. Nice to see Lake Coeur d'Alene full of water. I have never been there and that is another place on my bucket list.

Darlene

Anonymous said...

Safe travels for this last leg of your trip….I know I have said it before, but it has been great tagging along, learning so much along the way! Thank you!!
Looking forward to seeing/hearing about what comes next!!
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Karen said...

I've loved following along... and it will be so nice to be home too!

NancyA said...

Great trip. I’ve enjoyed following along. Your posts are like a travelogue, only better, thank you for your detailed posts and great pix! I know how you feel about reaching home after a long trip. Relax and enjoy!

Susan said...

Traveling is fun, but there is no place like home. It's been fun exploring vicariously through you, Mike and the kitties.

Jenny said...

Homeward bound not long now. The cats will be delighted to be back home too, I imagine, they have been great travellers on the trip.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I'm sure you will be very glad to get home. I've enjoyed my armchair tripping with your help and saw many wonderous things I wouldn't be able to see on my own. You deserve a few days off to get your bearings!

SJSM said...

Ah, to be home again. After the first night waking in your own bed, my thoughts go to what needs to be done. While doing the tasks, I still cherish touching and seeing the world in my home. It brings comfort, satisfaction and the small joys in life. It also reminds me how blessed I am for what we have pulled together in this life. Neighbors, family and familiar faces seen in the local stores and around the neighborhood let’s me know I am home.

Karen said...

The end!!😉

Kara Benavides said...

I have absolutely loved traveling with you! I especially loved revisiting places around the Great Lakes, where I used to live. And I-90. Yep. Helped move a kid from Michigan to Northern California. Did I-90 one way and I-? (morning brain fog) the other way. Thank you for sharing!!!