9/18/22

Quilt Shop: Pressing Matters Quilt Shoppe, Holland, Michigan

Pressing Matters Quilt Shoppe is the first of two quilt shops we visited in Holland, Michigan, yesterday.


It was a big store, and well organized. You can find its website right here. This is how it looks walking through the front door. I really liked that sailboat quilt hanging there. Kits were available.


Walking to the left side of the store...oh my...so much fabric. Most of what I saw here was of the vintage reproduction type. Its selection of fabrics reminded me of Primitive Gatherings in Murrieta, California.


On the back wall, there was a nice selection of wool.


Fabrics were arranged mostly by color. I took a good look at these reds. It occurred to me that I should be looking for something to finish off my current redwork embroidery project.


I noticed some blue sailboat fabric here that I thought might make a good choice for my regional fabric.


At the ends of the shelving units, there was a nice supply of notions.


When I'm looking at these kinds of fabrics, I generally prefer the pastels.


At the right side of the store there was another long wall of fabrics.


While I'm not usually much of a panel person, I really liked this bright polka dot panel. I didn't purchase it, mainly because I didn't know what I'd do with it. 


Also, I could be changing my mind about panels. They're great for practicing free motion quilting, and then you have a pretty quilt at the end without too much fuss. 

They had a selection of my favorite Creative Grids rulers.


There was fabric everywhere I looked.


Also, I knew you'd want to see these vintage miniature sewing machines.


The little chest of drawers in this next image is miniature, and that's another miniature sewing machine.


It's always a treat seeing these.


Some of you might remember when I made this hand-embroidered quilt some years ago. It resides with a good blogging friend these days. It was one of the quilts I rehomed after having to evacuate because of a wildfire. It's always fun when I can see some of the actual machines that were included in the quilt.


There was a narrow hallway toward the back of the store. I liked these quilts hanging on the wall. Can you see the three-dimensional pinwheels there on the left?


So I enjoyed snooping this store. I purchased two yards of this red and off-white. I'll use this in my current embroidery project. I was hoping I could find something with an off-white background since my embroidery backgrounds are also off-white.


I got a yard of this next one. I just liked it. It could be used in one of the Happy Village quilts. I don't have plans to make another one, but maybe this fabric will inspire me.


I've loved seeing the sailboats on the lakes, and so I chose this for a regional print to include in my latest Shop Hop project...or maybe it will be the next one. I'm accumulating a lot of regional prints.


This was a great shop with lots to see and friendly service. I still have one more quilt shop to tell you about, but I'll save that for another post.

9 comments:

Barbara said...

It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end. ~ Ernest Hemingway

MissPat said...

Another idea for panels like the big rainbow dots is to use that to back a quilt. Add a border or two to make it big enough and it's like having a double sided quilt. This looks like a great shop, although I doubt I'll ever get to Holland, MI.
Pat

Anonymous said...

Yes, nice quilt store. It's always on the shop hop route. Like like she has been able to enlarge the store. Good . I always loved to shop the batiks .
Hope you've picked up some beautiful painted rocks as well.
This is probably the last place on earth that has been open on Sundays..... Being a Dutch community. The malls.. For a long time were not open on sundays. We used this day as enjoying a beautiful scenic site.

Sue said...

Darn- my quilting buddy and I just did our own little Shop Hop and decided to skip this one because in the past they didn't have very much to attract us- looks like they've expanded quite a bit. We'll have to go there next time!

CarolE said...

I have been enjoying all of the pictures from your trip so far! Could you please tell me the name of the pattern for the embroidered vintage sewing machines?

Pam said...

The FG fabric is very pretty. You could always lightly tea dye it with liptons tea. I have done this with lots of success.

Jenny said...

That certainly is a well stocked shop. So much to see and admire. I sometimes get overwhelmed with too much fabric on show and end up not buying anything, how sad is that!

Susan In MN said...

I’ve had a wonderful time following your trip. We camped at Fort Ransom a week after you! And 2 years ago we camped at Bayfield - same one as you. The trip has been very interesting. Have followed you for a number of years. Love Sadie and Smitty as well as your quilts (of course) and gardens! The quilt shop looked wonderful! Would you please email me the name and manufacturer of the Mexican Doors fabric? We have a wedding next June in San Miguel de Allende, MX which is famous for their doors, and would love to use it in the quilt. Safe travels!! Thanks so much,
Susan

Jay said...

FYI: The Primitive Gatherings store in Murrieta, CA, is now Sew Treasured, owned by the former manager, Dru. Still a wonderful shop!