9/19/22

Breckenridge, Michigan

It was a relatively short drive to our newest destination. We were delayed when Smitty refused to get out of bed. He was fairly well crashed out on my side for the morning. It's hard to make the bed when it's in this condition.


Sadie had the good sense to nap on the couch, like any other self-respecting cat.


There wasn't much to see along the way, except when we started seeing signs leading toward Saginaw, a certain Simon & Garfunkle song got stuck in my head. My Facebook friends kept me entertained by writing little snippets of the lyrics back and forth to one another. I believe it might have become an earworm of massive proportions, beginning with these words:

It took me four days to hitchhike from Saginaw
I've gone to look for America.

When my Facebook friends starting chiming in with their own lyrics, I began to wonder what I'd started. Possibly we could get enough people with the same earworm to set a new world record and get ourselves into the Guinness book. (I'm always trying to figure out ways to get into the book.)

It seemed we'd left the tree-lined roads behind in favor of the barns. There were lots of barns on yesterday's drive.


I was sad to miss two barns with quilt blocks. 


It was okay...I found some quilt blocks down the road. Reflections are always a problem when the barns are on Mike's side.


These barns had silos right beside them. In other areas, the silos have been a distance from the barns. We can only think this has something to do with cold winters.


They were in various stages of disrepair.


This next one isn't technically a barn, but it did have a quilt block.


And this next one was hung on the side of a furniture store. You have to admire their creativity for putting an easy chair in the middle.


When we reached our final destination, I spent some time working on my slow-stitching, filling my hoop.


We're in a nice park here...nothing fancy, but the Pine River is just across the road from us.


Looking in the other direction, it looks like this:


Behind us is a swimming pond with floating play structures for the kids.


Just across from us is a tall tree with a big bird's nest. With this being next to the river, we think it might be an osprey nest. It appears abandoned this late in the season, however.


Standing near the pond, here's where we're set up. The park has many empty sites, and we love having plenty of room between us and our neighbors.


It's nearly time for breakfast, but I still owe you a quilt shop post. I'll do that before making breakfast. I'm meeting up with my blogging friend Gail today. Gail has a fun day planned for us, and I'm so excited to meet her in the flesh. We started blogging around the same time (I think), and we've shared much in writing over the years. Today will be our first time standing side by side. It's going to be a good day.

4 comments:

Barbara said...

Let us be lovers, we'll marry our fortunes together
I've got some real estate here in my bag
So we bought a pack of cigarettes and Mrs. Wagner pies
And walked off to look for America. ~ Paul Simon

abelian said...

The song I remember is Lefty Frizzell’s “Saginaw Michigan”. It’s a fun song with lines that rhyme with “Michigan”, and tells a story, too. Here it is on YouTube:

https://youtu.be/8tbrLDA18C4

Dot

gpc said...

Hard to tell from the photo, but that might be a squirrel's nest rather than bird's. I am still singing that song in my head . . . not the worse ear worm I've ever had though, so I'll forgive you.

linda schiffer said...

That easy chair has a cat in it, too, Obviously members of our tribe!

:) Linda