7/3/22

Sew All Day Saturday

It isn't true that I sewed all day. I did some other things in the morning, but when I moved into the sewing room to finish off the New Mexico Kitchen block, it only seemed as if I'd been sewing all day. There was a lot of machine top-stitching and hand sewing to do to finish it off. Even then, it still needed trimming and borders. By day's end, it was finished. And that is the last one.  

Now it will move to the list of quilt blocks that need to be sewn into finished quilt tops. There is one other in line ahead of it. Here are all the quilt blocks.

Earlier in the day, I took a walk around the house to see what was new. I found Sadie in her little house. There is a warming pad in the bottom where she lies. When it senses weight, it turns on and warms her little furry body. It wasn't terribly warm yesterday, and so you can't blame her for thinking this is the best place to be.

My biggest reason for being out was to check on the Red Cardinal Clematis. It has opened all the way now.

To it's right, another was nearly opened. I expect it has opened all the way now too.

Oh yes, and I passed this handsome fellow.

On the back side of the house I was sad to see the squirrels had bitten off the flower stalk on the stargazer lily. They ate the buds and unceremoniously dumped the rest on the ground. (Shakes fist at squirrels.) Oh well. Maybe it will put up another stalk. Doubtful, but one can always hope.

For dinner last night, we had this Caribbean Grilled Scallop Salad. It's one of our favorite summer salads, and it's so easy to make. 

I grill the scallops and pineapple on a grill pan. Mine is made with one of the spring garden salad mixes from the grocery store, fresh pineapple, avocado, and homemade plum chutney. The chutney goes into the dressing, which is also simple: a little chutney, lime juice, olive oil, and Old Bay seasoning. 

There isn't much on today's agenda. July's color has been announced for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge, and so I'll get to work making purple blocks for the Jericho Walls quilt. I should probably do a little housework too, and the flower pots still need watering. The July Books and Roses block hasn't been posted by Jenny of Elefantz yet, and so I've been watching her page like a hawk. I like getting my monthlies done early. The Jericho Walls blocks will keep me busy today, but then I'll be here, tapping my foot impatiently.

Thanks to those of you who have offered up tips and alternatives for our trip to the Great Lakes this fall. I'm learning of some things I want to include on our itinerary, and so your suggestions are appreciated. 

7 comments:

Barbara said...

The Amen of nature is always a flower. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.

Quilting Babcia said...

I hope you have a wall large enough in or near your kitchen to hang your New Mexico Kitchen when it's finished, the colors and detail are fantastic!

Julierose said...

Your blocks look so lovely together--this is such an intricate quilt to make...
nice work. The details on each block are amazing...
We are spending a quiet weekend here awaiting my son and family tomorrow...
hugs, Julierose

Sara said...

That set of blocks is just amazing! What a FUN quilt they will make.

Each of the salads you've shared the past few days sound delicious to me. But I'm married to the pickiest eater on earth and I just know he would refuse to even taste them. Takes the fun out of cooking.

piecefulwendy said...

Your New Mexico Kitchen quilt blocks are so lively and fun. I like all the colors! I'm sorry about the Stargazer lily - those squirrels! I might need to try that scallops recipe too - yum!

Susan said...

Maybe it's time to trap more squirrels. I like how your Mexican Kitchen Quilt turned out. It is so colorful.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That salad looks so good but don't dare cook scallops in this house b'cause Resident Chef is violently allergic to seafood.
That quilt is going to be a showpiece! The colours alone are spectacular.