7/30/22

Empty Nest

The guys were here working most of the day yesterday. The basement is empty of furniture, doors, and baseboards, and new carpet will be laid down very soon...I hope. And I *really* hope the whole basement story will come to an end soon because none of us can take much more of the chaos.

I had a little time for slow-stitching yesterday, and I filled my hoop. This stitchery will go faster than some of the others I've done recently.


We had some errands to run in town, but Mike was busy helping the guys move stuff out of the basement. Since it's a daylight basement, they were unloading things to our utility trailer. The trailer was hitched to one of the ATV's, and when it was full, Mike towed it up to the main level where the garage is located, and everything was unloaded into the garage. That was Mike's idea, and the guys really appreciated not having to haul stuff up a flight of stairs.

I was standing by to supervise the disassembly of the sewing room, but in the meantime, I baked an Orange Upside-Down Cake for Two. So yummy. It gave me a way to use up the denuded orange that was rolling around in the refrigerator.


Before it was finished baking, I was directing the guys on the care and handling of things in the sewing room. When all was said and done, the entire basement was emptied of its contents. Some areas of the carpeting hadn't seen foot traffic since we moved into the place more than 20 years ago. I walked around and made a little video, so you can see the size and configuration of the area. If you can't see the video, then click right here.


And that's all I have to show for yesterday. I'm kind of at a loss for what to do with myself if I can't sew. The "I Believe in Snowmen" quilt has been lounging upstairs, draped over Eliza. 


It's next in line for quilting, and I could start on that. Since we're heading to the beach next week, I doubt I could finish it. Starting it seems like too much. I could change my mind, however. Also, I found a new recipe for an "Awesome Apple Fritter Bread." When I realized I had all the ingredients on hand, it too a big giant step toward the top of my to-do list for Saturday. Baking bread seems like a more likely scenario. For sure, I'll need to start packing for our little getaway next week. 

It was good to have the guys here working for the past two days, but now we're ready to have the house to ourselves again for a bit. It's been stressful for humans and cats alike. The kitties are obviously confused. There is a pile of quilts in our bedroom, and the kitties can be seen roaming among them. If we could hear their thoughts, I imagine them thinking, "Well, this looks familiar, but it doesn't belong here." Their sewing room kitty bed is lying on the floor. I left it there, hoping it would give comfort to someone for a catnap. My cutting mats are lying on the floor of my office. I worried someone would set them on end, and I didn't want them to warp. Getting ahead of the game, I'd already removed them the day before. When I came into the office yesterday afternoon, I found Smitty standing on them. I imagine they felt familiar to his paws.

So I'll spend the day somehow, doing something. Sometimes it pays to just walk around until you bump into something, and then just go from there. Follow me for more tips on handling sewing-related withdrawal.

16 comments:

Barbara said...

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it. ~ Ann Landers

CarolE said...

I feel for you and your cats. We have been doing bathroom remodels. I know, ours was a choice we made and, unfortunately, yours wasn't something you planned. But I am glad you are finally seeing the end of it. Our kitty goes to the furthest bedroom closet away from the "mans" and hides until she is sure they have gone for the day.

piecefulwendy said...

I sure hope the carpeting and moving back in is done soon. While living in temporary rearrangement isn't necessarily difficult, it gets old pretty fast. Baking bread sounds like a good activity while you can't sew!

Julierose said...

That is a really large area you're having re-done--I love the walls with all the quilts on them--so neat!! Hopefully it won't be much longer!!
Hugs, Julierose

Sara said...

You have such a wonderful display of small quilts in that space. Enjoy a little peace while you can. I remember when we finished our basement here - I got so tired of the noise, and dust, and chaos. And the cat REALLY didn't like having the guys here working in his house.

Anne Kirby said...

Oh my gosh you sound so pitiful lol!! Me and my cats would be the same. This is the time to get away for sure. New start when you come back. At least the cats are familiar with their RV home.

Cathy said...

Oh, I feel for you, having gone through this last year. But in our case, the laying of basement carpet preceded our two floods by 3 and 4 months. The insurance didn’t cover ours (water came from outside the home). So we had out-of-pocket expense, but the contractor is a family member who did a beautiful job very quickly, and at a bargain price, all things considered. Silver linings. Like childbirth, you’ll forget the pain once it’s all over!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Oh, I have a large room I want carpet taken out off, but that won't happen for a while. I have quite a few carpets I'd like out and would be glad to see them go.

Lee said...

Its hard to get anything done when others are in the house renovating! Enjoy the time away and relax!

Deb said...

It can be so frustrating to have to put your sewing on hold and to deal with a house of chaos thankfully its only temporary. Is that a Crabapple Hill studio pattern in your hoop? It's looking good. Happy Stitching

Quilter Kathy said...

Such lovely embroidery - love the pretty bleeding hearts!

Linda said...

the chaos you are going through now will be worth it when everything is all finished. Your slow stitching looks lovely. Glad you had time to work on it.

Karrin Hurd said...

Hopefully the chaos will be done soon and you can get back to your routine. Your slow stitching is lovely. Hope you have a great week!

gpc said...

That walk and bump method is my normal mode so I can highly recommend it. Also kudos on baking as a substitute. It is hard to be displaced, I hope it is over soon.

CathieJ said...

I remember when we remodeled our little cape cod house into a full fledged colonial 18 years ago. The basement became my son's bedroom and storage room and we all had to live in 4 small rooms for almost 6 months during the winter. It was noisy and dusty. I can imagine how confused the kitties are. I remember feeling at loose ends almost every day. You will love it when it is completed though.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Once again my fingers are firmly crossed for a speedy finish to the upheaval - for kitties and humans alike.