6/19/22

Housework and Hand-Stitching

My title pretty much describes my day. It was another rainy day, but things are looking good for the coming week. It looks like Summer will come on time, even if Spring has been AWOL. Rainy days are good days to sit by the window and sew, and that's exactly what I did. The washing machine was doing all the work while I was finishing off my quilt. 

There was a little sunshine in the morning, and so I took a walk around to check on the peonies. I didn't notice much change, except that one flower was resting on the ground, full of water. So, I shook all the water from all the flowers. (I probably need to do that again.) I expect this one will be the next to bloom.


As I rounded the corner to the upper patio, I found Smitty, looking for all the world like garden art.


He was standing at attention. He takes his squirrel and gopher hunting duties very seriously. A cat must be disciplined and purrsistent.


Back inside, I went to work on my quilt binding. I didn't really expect to finish it all in a single day.


With my little stitching cat by my side, how could I go wrong?


So I stitched and stitched and stitched, and I stitched some more, and I rounded the third corner. By then, my one housekeeping chore was beckoning. Also, I was tired of sewing, and so it was easy to switch gears.


But I was so close to finishing, and so I went back to it after I'd finished my chore. When I turned the fourth corner, there were only about 20 inches left.


I started this quilt on January 16, 2019. It was a free block of the month from Cindy Staub at Quilt Doodle Doodles. I give you Garden Sunshine...a finished quilt:


Here's how it looks from the back.


Quilting and binding this quilt was June's goal for


so I'll be linking up there when the party starts at the end of the month.

But that wasn't my only hand-stitching for the day. Also, I took the first stitches on the next section of Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage. This one is going to take a while.

And this being Sunday, I'll be linking up to:


Okay so today is Father's Day! Happy Father's Day to all you father's out there. I always have to post this picture on Father's Day. It's one of my favorites.


We were so much younger then! Today I'll be making Eggs Benedict for the father of my children. We were to have dinner with Erik and Mae. Erik had thawed a big brisket for barbecuing. Then both Erik and Mae tested positive for COVID. The virus seems to be right at our doorstep these days. Erik and Mae are recovering, but our Father's Day dinner is off. Oh well. I'll make something good for the old man.

Okay, so Eggs Benedict here I come. And then I'll get back to more slow stitching. I expect to start sewing together the French Roses blocks today too.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

My father said there were two kinds of people in the world: givers and takers. The takers may eat better, but the givers sleep better. ~ Marlo Thomas

Debra said...

Your cats are just precious. As is your finished quilt.

Anonymous said...

I love your finished Sunshine Garden quilt, Barbara! A perfect springtime finish!!
Here in Virginia, we have had the strangest spring weather I ever remember… a roller coaster of temperatures, alternating rain and dry spells, and the strangest of all is morning thunderstorms…. We just don’t have storms in the morning in this neck of the woods! And they have been severe storms. Today feels like a fall day with cooler temps. It is a beautiful sunny day, but extremely windy…that is something else we don’t usually encounter… of course we do have windy weather, but not all day long for several days in a row… not sure what is going on, but at least we aren’t having that hot, humid stuff we usually get starting in late June.
I hope Eric and Mae feel better soon…
Sandra B
scb304@juno.com

Karrin Hurd said...

Great quilt finish. Sorry your family has COVID. We had it last month.

Sherrie said...

Hi,
I really like your Garden Sunshine quilt...so pretty. To me
it seems to take forever to get the binding done...I don't finishe
it in one day...maybe 3 or 4 days. Have a great day!

Sara said...

I completely understand why that photo is a favorite - it’s wonderful. I love the Garden Sunshine quilt. Very pretty!

CathieJ said...

Congrats on the finish. That quilt is so pretty. I have heard of so many folks testing positive for COVID lately. I have a cousin and his wife who have missed out on one week of their 3 week trip to Ireland. Yes it is on all of our doorsteps. Smitty is definitely looking very attentive. I love the Father's Day photo. Have a great week.

Jenny said...

That's a lovely finish, it's always nice to get that binding stitched down. Shame about your family catching Covid, and your special dinner put on hold, seems to be the name of the games these days, when Covid comes to call.

Vicki W said...

I love your quilt! That's a great photo of Mike and the kids. I hope he had a nice Father's Day.

Quilting Babcia said...

Sorry about Erik and Mae's covid. I hope they have an easy time of it. We're still in recovery mode, much slower than we would like. Your new quilt finish is one of my favorites! Perfect for the summer season knocking at your door. We always used to say nature's faucet runs dry on the 4th of July. It still hasn't settled into true summer here, the other morning it was 38 degrees.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

That quilt makes me happy to just look at it. Well done!
So sorry about the nasty disease striking your family - hopefully it's a mild case for both of them and they recover quickly.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm catching up on posts again, after being gone. Great photos of Smitty out on the hunt. I can see why that photo of Mike and the boys is a favorite - what fun! Your quilt finish is lovely - so happy and cheerful!