2/10/22

Quilting Irish

It was kind of a weird day yesterday. A crew came to wash and wax the outside of the RV. The RV looks great, and they were here and gone after about two hours. We weren't sure when they would arrive or how long it would take, and so it was kind of hard to plan the day. Sadie and Smitty knew what to do though. They napped while we waited, and put an extra helping of cat snot on the window.


The cat snot was for Mike to clean. (You didn't think I was going to do it, did you?) They didn't want him to feel left out.

While we waited for the crew to arrive, I had time to stitch the day's inchy. This one was easy enough, but it took a long time.


I had some good stitching friends while I worked on that. Friends don't let friends stitch alone. 


If you're wondering why there are two kleenex boxes there, well...one has kleenex. The other is an empty box. I keep the empty ones to use as a little trash box for all my bits of snipped threads. I have one next to my sewing machine at home too. Works great, and when it's full, it goes straight into the trash.

Okay, and then it was a dreaded sewing machine moment. I'd planned on quilting while the crew was here, but I first had to install this surprisingly difficult-to-figure-out free motion foot to my machine. For as many times as I've done this, I still can't do it without consulting the instructions. So I had it installed, and then I took this picture. But it still wasn't on right. 


In the image above, you can see there's a small metal thinga-ma-bob (technical sewing machine terms) that has to go above the screw that holds the needle. Here, I had it installed so that it was below the needle screw. And it's impossible, even with the presser foot up, to fit the foot under the whole thing without removing that whole assembly. So, I did that, and put it all back together. In the image below, you can see that it's now in the right place. When it's installed improperly, the needle is blocked from going up and down.


And this is why I've put off doing any quilting until all the piecing projects were finished. Now that it's on the machine, I'll quilt all three of the small projects I have with me before switching back to the regular quarter-inch foot. I'll sew on the quilt bindings when all three projects are quilted.

Okay, so let's get to the quilting, shall we? I kept it pretty simple. I stippled around the words and included little shamrocks as I went.


In each corner, I put a little stylized shamrock.


And then I did some cross-hatching in the outer border.


Oh, but no quilting day would be complete without doing something like this. Drat!


It wasn't as bad as it might have been, and I was able to fix it in about 15 minutes. Now it's ready for binding.


It's pretty hard to see anything from the back, but here it is anyway.


When I'm ready to sew the binding strips on, I'll be using this green stripe. It's a leftover binding from another project.


By then the crew had come and gone. We held off putting up the bird feeders until they were finished. Now, I'm hopeful we'll get some birds. Seed feeders are permitted here. Having the tree nearby should help.


Okay, and so we'd planned a trip to my favorite store, Goodwill. Mike didn't bring enough t-shirts along and he's been rotating the same 3-4 shirts for weeks. He wanted to find a couple of t-shirts. I was looking for a sweatshirt. I hope this doesn't fall under the category of TMI, but I'm going to tell it to you anyway. Smitty sleeps snuggled up next to me at night, and being a cat, he simply cannot resist kneading me with his claws. I've taken to wearing a sweatshirt to bed, no matter the weather, to act as my skin's protective shield. 

Approximately 25 years ago, I purchased three brand new sweatshirts at Goodwill. In the intervening time, all three have been worn literally to tatters. The last of them was the one I had here in the RV. Since the beginning of the trip, I've been pointing out Goodwill stores to Mike so I can get a new sweatshirt to act as my bedtime suit of armor. Finally, yesterday afternoon, we went. I'm was looking for something in good shape and approximately three sizes too big to make it roomy and comfortable for sleeping. I found the perfect thing. It appeared brand new...never even washed. I have an idea why:


Okay, and I'm just the messenger. I don't care what it says...it'll work for my purposes. And since Mike's the only one to see it, it kind of works no matter how you think about it. 

So we ended up with two t-shirts for Mike, a sweatshirt for me, new food dishes for the kitties (the ones they have now give them whisker anxiety), and a 6-inch cake pan. Yes, I found the exact same cake pan I bought from Amazon this past week (priced at $8.39) for 99¢ at Goodwill. And it's all good because I'll put the Goodwill pan in our truck camper. It's important to have well-stocked baking armory when you're camping, doncha know. And we got all of that cool stuff for a grand total of $18. Now you know why Goodwill is my favorite store.

So that was our day. Today we're going hiking in Red Rock Canyon. Interestingly, we were there exactly two years ago when Erik and Mae joined us in Pahrump for a few days. We did three short hikes with them that day. We were under cloudy skies, and so my pictures weren't all that great. Today is bright and sunny, and so I'm hoping to get some better shots. We'll check our hiking book and pick a good trail...or maybe more than one. Either way, it's going to be a good day.

Probably I won't do any sewing today, but when I get back to it, I'll be quilting the small Rise and Shine quilt. It should be another easy one.


Today's inchy is posted, and so I'll be heading there right after breakfast. It's going to be a full day.

14 comments:

Barbara said...

A wish that every day for you will be happy from the start and may you always have good luck and a song within your heart. ~ Irish Blessing

Nancy said...

Glad you found what you needed at Goodwill. I have a love hate relationship with Goodwill. Love the deals hate the experience. I have been in a few skunky Goodwills over the years. But I have found good deals there over the years.

Katie said...

Oh, that sweatshirt is the BEST! I'm laughing still as I type this. If I had found it, I would also have bought it, but for the hubby's sister. He likes to tease her and has a Christmas quilt with the word "ho" repeated all over the top on the list for me to make for her. She's pretty good-natured about it, but I don't see this quilt getting made any time soon...I'd rather make something she would like, not be mad at. As for the claws, I understand completely. My Finn likes to stick his into your arm when you start scratching his head/face (he likes the whole noggin scratched, eyelids and cheeks included), but his claws seem to grow to 4" long and he stuffs the whole thing in your arm or hand, whatever is handy, and won't let go. You are going to give him those face scritches for the rest of time, you see. Thick sweatshirts are helpful, but I think I'd need three! (So I've learned other tactics, like the moving target...)

Dorothy said...

Nice "Irish" quilting.
It seems no matter how often I trim nails for both cats, their nails still "dig" in when they knead

abelian said...

I laughed out loud at your sweatshirt! I love it! Goodwill is fun, even when you don’t buy anything. Just walking around, thinking “Why would anybody buy THAT in the first place?” And you never know what treasures you’ll find. Dot

loulee said...

I love shopping at the goodwill, or OP shops as they are sometimes known.
Have fun with your quilting.

Deb E said...

LOVED the sweatshirt picture! Bet your hubby smiles every time he sees you in it. Don't have cats, but my terrier (who loves to sleep under the covers) likes to stretch out at night & scratches my legs. I've tried to have her sleep below the quilt and on top of the sheets but I do believe she feels insulted that she can't be UNDER the sheets. As I wear nightgowns my legs are totally unprotected, but I put up with it as she's such an affectionate dog. The other dog (an elderly Coton de Tulear) sleeps on her own pillow next to mine with her own quilt. What we do for our fur babies....love your blog!! Deb

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

I do the exact same thing with my empty Kleenex boxes--isn't that 'funny'!!!
I need to go do a thrift store shop--haven't been in a long time-not been anywhere really in a long time--thanks to Covid!!!
Kitties are looking good--they are good travelers!!
hugs, di
and yes some of these little birdhouses seem to take a long time to do!!!

Susan said...

One of my former rescue cats used to do that we me, but it wasn't a problem as his front paws had been declawed by the person who had originally owned him.
I can identify with the cat snot on the windows too :-)

Darlene S said...

I really like your idea for using an empty tissue box. Thanks for sharing.

Siggy Bee said...

Love your sweatshirt! I am still laughing!

piecefulwendy said...

Well, that sweatshirt is a gem indeed. Haha! I hope you have many years of sweet dreams and protected skin with it. Now I'm thinking I should change my kitty bowls, too. Your little quilted project turned out nicely!

Kate said...

Irish turned out beautifully. Don't you wonder sometimes how some things end up at Goodwill. I don't about that sweatshirt. At least you will not be sorry when it ends up in tatters.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I have that same free motion foot and I haven't put it on wrong - yet!! Now it's in my head I'll definitely have to do it.
And I can't tell you how often I've had the backing flip over and I've sewn it down and had to reverse stitch. Sigh.
I did snicker over your new shirt message - I imagine Mike will have fun with the possibilities on that one. How I miss our thrifting trips.