1/5/22

Slowing Down

Last night, Mike and I were talking about what an ordeal it was getting ourselves here to this first destination. We dealt with bad weather and snow on the other end, and then scary bad traffic at this end. It's nice to be staying put for the week in this pretty setting. I'm still mad at them for charging us extra for the kitties, but it is a nice campground. And when you look at this pretty girl, doesn't it seem like they should be paying us for the privilege of having our fabulous felines here?

Sadie is a heat-seeking cat, and she sought out the sunshine at the back of the RV yesterday morning. She's sitting there this morning too. She knows the sunshine spot will arrive soon enough. Below, you can see her view from the back window.

With our weak signal, it's taking forever and a day to upload pictures. I waited about five minutes for the ones you're looking at today. At some point, my patience will wear out. For now, I'm getting 'er done. Also on the get 'er done list, I filled in my embroidery hoop yesterday. This block is about 2/3 finished now.

With the weather finally on our side, I went out for a walk yesterday morning. I loved the graceful white trunks of these trees across the road from us.

I wish I could have caught these guys in better light. It's hard to know for sure, but from the sound of them, I'd say these are grackles like the ones we see in Boulder City. Click right here to hear the sounds they make.

Turning to my left, I encountered this sign, and I paused here to consider whether I could call my feet an "authorized vehicle."

My shadow self was there egging me on, so what could I do but follow her lead.

Walking on, I was able to get closer to the lake. Looking out across the expanse of water, I could see the dam responsible for this reservoir.

Zooming in, I could see it through the reeds.

Also present, some coots. 

To my right was a picnic area, and people fishing.

Farther to my right was a boat launch with more people fishing. And here's another question I have: If people are not permitted to swim in the lake, why do they let the fish swim here? And you just know those fish are pooping in the water. I rest my case.

Looking to the left, the sun was sparkling on the water off in the distance.

Turning back, I had another view of the mountains.

Also, I caught this bird. I've identified him as a Western Kingbird. We saw some of these when we spent the day with my friend Judy up at the Merced National Wildlife Refuge, and so I was feeling smug at being able to identify him.

Also, I passed by a eucalyptus tree. This is one of those things that when you see it, you can say you know you're in California. We saw these lining the freeway as we headed south. They're so pretty with their peeling bark. When you rub the leaves between your fingers, you can smell the eucalyptus scent.


Today will be spent much like yesterday...just relaxing and visiting with our friends. Mike got out our bikes yesterday. They're electric, and so they needed to be charged up. They're ready for riding by now, and I expect we'll get out for a ride today. The roads are paved, level, and mostly abandoned. Also, I didn't see any woolly caterpillars, so it's probably safe for people who like to fall down and break bones.

I'm just about to get back to my embroidery. Maybe I'll finish that block off today...or maybe not. It's nice having no agenda nor any place to go.

12 comments:

Barbara said...

I have gotten better at saying to myself, 'Relax and just take this moment in. Appreciate it for what it is. ~ Chris Carmack

Darlene S said...

Happy No Agenda Day and a non-travel day too! Fun to travel, but really nice to stay in the same spot for a week. Even better when you get to do it with friends. Have fun!

Sandra W said...

Well I spent time today reading all the posts I have missed. How did that happen? Loved all the cat feet photos, sewing, and the food! Oh my. You always make such interesting dishes. Your travel is fascinating.
We have always enjoyed our road trips to the U.S. and miss that we haven't been able to visit the U.S. And I think it will be a while yet as the US seems to have looser public health policies than in Canada.
I love how Sadie has adjusted. I remember the videos of her hiding behind doors when you first got her. Amazing that she is now so calm.

Sara said...

Your embroidery stitches are so tiny and perfect. That is a nearly lost skill isn't it?

Beautiful surroundings. Enjoy your relaxation and the sunshine. We have negative 23 degree wind chill here in SD today. Brrrr!

Quilting Babcia said...

Vacations are supposed to be for slowing down and relaxing, and you've found a lovely spot to spend a few days. Hoping your next days of travel will be less nail-biting. Great photos as always!

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I'm enjoying your trip thru your eyes. Nice to see blue skies and greenery. Everyone reveled here yesterday as it was the first time in blankety-blank days that we had seen the sun - BUT it was also close to single digits.

SJSM said...

Ah, eucalyptus. Nice to look at but not to have on your property. Aside from dropping lots of bark, pods and leaves, they are candles waiting to be be lit by a fire. The oils make them explosive. We took ours out many years ago for that reason.

That is a lovely campgrounds to explore. What a wonderful place to meet up with RV friends and spend some relaxing time together. Enjoy your walks and other explorations.

piecefulwendy said...

I read your post yesterday, but think I forgot to leave a comment. I don't get the charge for the kitties, and why couldn't they let you know that ahead of time? Anyhoo, you have some beautiful views. Enjoy your time with friends, and your bike rides!

gpc said...

It does make sense to charge extra for woofies, and I suspect the woofie lobby argued hard to include cats, just to be mean spirited. Claiming it would violate their personal freedom if kitties were allowed to be free, and all. I've had close friends who were woofies, but no one can argue that they are particularly rational. I blame their parents.

BJ Coleman said...

So beautiful there! Thanks for posting photos! You take really good ones. I love the crows too...they talk a lot like garrulous old ladies...hahaha! Stay safe!

Kate said...

Looks like a great place to hang out for a week. Hope you've been able to catch up with your friends and just generally have a good time.

Lyndsey said...

It looks like a perfect place to hang out with friends for the week. I love the no agenda' to follow, that makes it even more fun.