The day started out quietly enough. We had a lunch date set with our friends Deb and Tom, but there was some time to sew in the morning. My first task was to fix these new N95 masks we purchased. And let me just say I'm glad I haven't put any more effort into making cloth masks. Now we're into these seriously ugly masks...NIOSH approved for extra, extra, extra germ resistance. And that's all fine and dandy, but apparently, the really badass masks all have the elastic that goes around the head. And, I don't know about you, but I hate that. I want the around-the-ear elastic on mine.
So I studied them briefly and figured out that I could simply pull the two lengths of elastic together, sew them back and forth a few times, and then cut off the excess in the middle.
If you want to do this, I'm going to suggest you make the stitches at a spot a little larger than you think you need. It's easier to make them shorter than it is to make them longer. I just put a pin to hold the two together and then stitched back and forth and back and forth and back again. And that oughta hold it.
And now I'm a happy masker...well, "happy" might be an overstatement, but at least I'm not complaining about that elastic around my head.
After that, I got busy sewing together the Grandma's Thimbles quilt top. I had the top row of thimbles sewn together from the day before.