1/23/22

Another Finished Quilt Top

It was a quiet day here at the Traveling Three Cats Ranch. We had a much-needed day to recharge after more than three straight weeks of socializing. It has been wonderful seeing so many good friends, and now we're starting to wind down for the next part of the journey. We have one more day here in Escondido, and then we will move on to Boulder City tomorrow.

My morning started as usual, with my morning slow-stitching. I filled my hoop.


And then moved to the next position.


By then, the kitties were fully involved in their morning naps. Smitty was soaking up the morning sunshine.


Sadie chose a space on the couch next to her catio door.


And then I went to work adding borders to Grandma's Thimbles. And now this is a finished quilt top. It ends up at 29 x 27 inches. Of course, it still needs quilting and binding, but that will need to wait until we get home. You might remember I stitched up all the thimbles when we were traveling in Colorado last fall. If you like this pattern, you can find it right here. It also comes for machine embroidery.


Having given this "booster seat" I purchased a good try now, I'm going to say it's very helpful and comfortable. In the image below, it happens to be sitting on top of my sewing machine and leaning against a wall. It took me a bit to realize the brand name goes at the edge of the chair. By that I mean, where your knees are. I had it backwards for a while. 


On the opposite side, it has an opening in the filling that advertises it helps with tailbone, lower back, and coccyx pain. And I can see how that would be helpful. I purchased it because I needed a little boost up, but mainly because I was getting neck pain. I'm not sure any of the shapes of the cushion are beneficial in my case, but the boost up definitely helps. I was able to sew for longer yesterday with no neck pain whatsoever. It gives me a good boost without being too high or too low, and it has a firmness that makes sitting in my chair more comfortable. So, I'm happy with my purchase, and my thanks go to my friend, Cathy, for recommending this cushion. If you think you could benefit from one, I found this one on Amazon...right here.

Later in the afternoon, I finished off the fourth of nine baskets.


Here are the four I have so far. 


Now I have the next one ready to stitch, and I'll start there this morning. 


And this being Sunday, I'll be linking up to

Slow Sunday Stitching

Our avocados are ripening quickly, and I put them to good use in last night's dinner. First, I tried a new recipe called Chicken Tender Fajitas. It's all made in one pan. Someone posted the link on Facebook and said it was easy and delicious, in addition to being diet friendly. Well, count me in. And it was good! You can find the recipe right here. (The recipe was from the Washington Post, and you might need a subscription to see it. If you can't see it, and you want the recipe, then email me, and I'll send it to you.)


Also on the menu, one of our favorite dishes left over from Mike's Mom. It's the simplest thing to do. Get yourself a can of grapefruit...canned actually works better than fresh in this case. Drain off the juice and add some to a ramekin, then add some chunked up avocado over the top, then a little drizzle of Catalina salad dressing. Mmm, mmm, mmm. We tried to make this last time we were down, but couldn't find any canned grapefruit. Weird. But we found some this time, and we enjoyed this salad with our fajitas last night.


Okay, and that was the end of our day. But here's something. Have you played Wordly? It's kind of fun...a daily word game. Basically, you guess at a random five-letter word. And...I learned this the hard way...if a letter appears in the word, it can be used more than once. When you finish the puzzle, it lets you upload a little image showing how you did without giving away the clue. The little daily images look like this (this one is from a previous one of my plays):


One of my Facebook friends has been teasing me about these. When I posted the picture of the finished Grandma's Thimbles quilt top yesterday, he responded telling me this would be my next quilt:


which made me laugh, but actually...it's not a bad idea!!! So many ideas for quilts...so little time. I might actually do this sometime. Just add it to my list of Quilts I'll Probably Never Start.

Finally, Mike uploaded his drone footage from our previous campsite at Lake Skinner State Recreation Area. If you want to see a little more of the area where we were previously, you can watch the video. If you can't see the video, then click right here.


So that's all I have for you today. Depending on how late I sleep tomorrow, I might not take time to blog before we head off to Boulder City. Our plans for today include heading over to Lake Hodges to see the suspension bridge there. I was going to try making some French Onion Soup in my slow cooker for tonight's dinner, but then realized my slow cooker can't hold the volume I need. It'll have to wait until we get home. But, hey! All is not lost. It gives us a chance to have Mexican food one last time here in San Diego County, where...and this is my learned opinion...Mexican food is the best tasting of any found outside of the actual country of Mexico. 

17 comments:

Barbara said...

Anytime there is Mexican food around, you can bet I'll be eating it. ~ Eva Longoria

Katie said...

That salad just seems wrong. I trust it's good, but not enough to actually try it. Not yet at least! Hooray for a finished top! And you (along with a half dozen others) finally convinced me to try that silly word game. I got it in 3 tries and can see the draw, but I'm not sure if I'll get addicted or not!

Marianne said...

I've been following your blog for a while now, and I love reading about your travels. I live in VT and doubt if I'll get to Calif. any time soon since Mom (age 99+) lives in Colorado and most of our trips head there.

I love the little flowers in vases quilt you just made. It is so adorable!

And I just wanted to tell you that your chicken tender fajitas can be made as a sheet pan dinner. That's what I do, and I tend to make a bunch of it at a time so I put it over rice, into tortillas, and even as part of a taco salad. Try it when you get home to your oven.

Happy trails to you! Marianne

Cathy Smith said...

Glad the "booster seat" is working out for you. I figured it would be just my luck, after touting it to you, that it wouldn't help.

I loved this morning's shot of Smitty soaking up the sun. Living in Arizona I'm familiar with "snow birds". I think I just spotted a photo of my first "snow kitteh"!

Quilting Babcia said...

Ah, avocado and grapefruit salad, it's been at least 40 years since I've had one, but there's a recipe for one with a homemade dressing around here somewhere. As I recall it also had romaine as a base. Yummy!

Dorothy said...

Your link took me straight to the fajitas recipe :-)
And I tried the grapefruit/avocado salad when you talked about it last year. I love it. Strange combination, but yummy

Karrin Hurd said...

Thanks for the recipe links, they look delicious. My favorite restaurant in that area is Fidels in Solana Beach. We used to live down the street from it before we moved to Northern California. Happy travels and stitching!

Julierose said...

Pretty baskets mounting up!! The redwork thimbles are so cute, too ;))
You are getting things done even while traveling!! Hugs, Julierose

MissPat said...

I discovered the word game about a week ago when it was all over the news. It's actually called Wordle (you wrote Wordly), but your link was correct. I'm glad youur travels haven't left the kitties too stressed out. Not sure how Smitty can b comfortable like that, but he is definitely more flexible than I am.
Pat

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on finishing up the Thimble quilt top! Thimble fabric, too? SEW cute!!

gpc said...

I do truly love the idea, and look of a Wordle quilt. I'm going to add it to my list of things I'll never do, too.

CathieJ said...

I printed out that fajita recipe as soon as I saw it. Thanks for the link. I love how the thimble quilt turned out. I look forward to seeing how you quilt it. Thanks for the kitty photos. They make me smile.

Christine said...

Congrats on the new finish.... Thanks to Mike for the super video....

Kate said...

Thimbles turned out beautifully. Safe travels today, hope the traffic is light and the day is sunny.

Susan said...

Thanks for the fajita recipe. I am going to give it a try. I am not so sure about the grapefruit and avocado though:-) Thimbles quilt is a nice little quilt top.

SJSM said...

A good day to just hang out in and enjoy the sunshine. What a travel wardrobe you must have to transition the seasons.

Lyndsey said...

The video was great, thank you Mike. The thimble quilt top is very cute and grapefruit and avocado salad sounds delicious and so easy.