11/8/21

Not Picky

Sunday started with some slow-stitching. Since I had an extra hour in my day yesterday, I spent a good portion of it working on Calendula Patterdrip's Cottage. By the time I stopped, I'd finished the next section.


These blocks are so big, they seem a little overwhelming when I first start them. But then, like everything else, little by little they get done. I've moved my hoop to the left, and I'm now about 2/3 of the way across the bottom. I used the last of the floss I had wound on my floss bobbin, and so I started with a new skein. I have just three skeins of that brown left now, and so I hope it's enough to finish the whole thing.

After that, it was time to get back to my thread picking. After several hours, I had it all done. That's the little container of picked threads on the right in the image below. It seems as if it should have been more for all the time it took.


It was an unholy task, meaning, I don't think I made any holes in the fabric...none that I can see anyway.

Sadie was quick commencing her inspection. She feels some kinship with cat quilts, and she wants to make sure they are done purrfectly.


She looked left.


She looked right.


She looked straight ahead.


When she seated herself, she purrnounced it throne ready.


Okay, so what now? Well, in my Pinterest wanderings, I came across this "hooked feather" filler design with a demonstration video. And I kind of liked that. She says it makes a good filler around applique, and I'll remember that. My quilt is straight piecing, but I still thought it was going to have the same effect as the feathers I started with, but an all-over design made more sense for this quilt. I first tried it out on a practice piece, quilting right over some previous practice designs.


It's pretty simple, although I'd like to work on getting my "touch" points a little more accurate. That will improve as I go. And then, I tried it on the quilt, starting with the same cat from before.


And I'm much happier with that. I like how it looks with the paisley design, and it will be easy enough to accomplish. I'll work the quilt in quadrants, starting with the lower right corner. If I can finish a quadrant each day, I should have this quilt ready for binding before the end of the week. Sounds pretty good to me.

Okay, so it was dinner time by then, and I started a pork stew and called it a day. I'll get back to it this afternoon, and try to get this lower right quadrant finished. 

This morning I'm going for the Big Squash...you know what I'm talking about. Yeesh. I've always said that if this were a test for testicular cancer, you can bet the machines would be more comfortable. I hope you're going to spend the morning doing something more fun.

10 comments:

Barbara said...

Isn't it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet? ~ L.M. Montgomery

Quilting Babcia said...

Your new quilting design looks great! Worth the time it took to rip out what you were unhappy with.

Norma said...

I really like that design. I may have to try that one soon. Thanks.

piecefulwendy said...

I like the new quilting design you've chosen, I think it will work well. Glad Sadie gave her stamp of apurroval!

Charlotte M. said...

I had the big squash yesterday. Done for another year. I love the all over design you are putting on the cat quilt. I think that is just what was needed.

Anne said...

I like the quilting design. I really need to hone my free-motion skills. As for the big squash, I've had my share this year, including a rather injurious squeeze from a shoulder belt.

Jenny said...

The Big Squash, a necessary evil, isnt it. After many years of having negative results, our free mammograms here in New Zealand came to an end at age 69. I felt a bit that things weren't quite right and decided to have another paid one a year or so later and it came back positive. Lucky for me it was found early and treatable, and well worth the cost of the mammogram. The hospital cancer care here is wonderful.

Susan said...

I glad Sadie pronounced it good to go to try the new design.

My big squeeze was schedule for the middle of October, but because I had my Covid booster shot the week before, they reschedule it for December to avoid having a false positive reading for enlarged lymph nodes which is a common side effect of the vaccine. Biopsies are not fun, so I didn't mind.

Jenny said...

The Big Squash, a necessary evil, isnt it. After many years of having negative results, our free mammograms here in New Zealand came to an end at age 69. I felt a bit that things weren't quite right and decided to have another paid one a year or so later and it came back positive. Lucky for me it was found early and treatable, and well worth the cost of the mammogram. The hospital cancer care here is wonderful.

Julie said...

Your all over design is lovely! Thanks for the idea! I off to look at Pinterest!