11/9/21

Good Day, Sunshine!

It was a much-appreciated beautiful day yesterday. It has been raining endlessly for weeks, and we're expecting more endless rain over the next couple of weeks. So, it was nice to have a sunny, if chilly, day. Too bad I had to waste a minute of it getting the Big Squash. (All clear...good for another year.) Even with that, I was in and out quickly, and home before 11:00 a.m.

The ladybugs were enjoying the last gasp of the Black-eyed Susans.


I noticed one, and then as I looked, I realized there were quite a few.


The flowers are looking a little bedraggled from the rain, but they're still blooming with gusto.



The kitties were happy for the warm weather. They came out with us. Mike was busy vacuuming up leaves from our deck with his shopvac. Smitty seems to understand the shopvac is not a threat, but Sadie kept hidden under the bushes. They both enjoyed being outside without having to dodge raindrops.


It was a good day to show off the new roof. And just let me say there is only one thing more boring than spending a pretty penny on a new roof. New tires come to mind. When you are required to pay the price of the Hope Diamond for something, you want to show it off a little bit. Somehow, "Hey...wanna see my new roof/tires?" doesn't inspire interest. But here it is anyway. 


Our house is hidden in the trees, and with the sun low in the sky right now, the back side of the house shows it off best. 


So, I hope you enjoyed this glimpse of the roof. It will be the last time I show it. Sad, I know. If you ask nicely, I might show it again sometime.

Okay, but I was outside for one thing. The last time the sun shone, I noticed we had the dreaded Hairy Bittercress popping up all over. Here's what it looks like:


It is an edible weed, and nutritious. I had a salad recipe picked out to try. Nutritional value aside, it is such a bugger in a landscape because...and let me have The Google explain it to you. This quote comes from the Brooklyn Botanical Garden's "Weed of the Month" series:

While urban grazers will be most focused on the leaves, I think the seed capsules are the best part of hairy bittercress. Called siliques, they look like purplish-green toothpicks standing upright around the flower. As the seeds mature, the pods begin to coil tightly until—pop! A gentle touch or passing breeze triggers the pods to explode and send the seeds flying as far as three feet from the mother plant. This ballistic dispersal strategy, known as ballochory, is also employed by jewelweed and cranesbill. 
So, yes. They seed themselves with ferocity, and it's important to pull them before they have a chance to bloom, or face the dire consequences of their "ballistic dispersal strategy."

Okay, so my recipe said I needed 60g of these. And being an American, that gram measurement doesn't mean much to me. But I knew the salad I was making had just four beets, and so I figured about half a cup would do. As long as I was picking, I picked plenty. Here's how they look straight from the ground. Their roots are covered in mud.


I first hosed them off outdoors. Inside, I snipped off the root ends and then spun them four times in my salad spinner to get them clean. They were full of pine needles, twigs, and dead leaves. In short, they were hard to get clean, but I persevered. When I had them ready for later use, they looked like this:

Okay, so it was around 2:00 p.m. when I headed up to work on the quilting. This is going great now. I'm glad I spent the many hours unpicking my first try. I worried this design would detract from the kitties on the front, but it seems to fade into the background...to my eyes, at least.


Here's how it looks from the back.

When I had the lower right quadrant complete, I stopped for the day.

I'm hoping to get the lower left quadrant quilted today. It shouldn't take all day, and so I'll probably get a start on my next challenge quilt for The Endeavourers. The reveal isn't until February 1st, but we'll be traveling after Christmas, and so I want to get it finished early.

My kitty helpers abandoned me yesterday. They were tired from their adventures outside. When I went downstairs, this is where I found them:




But let's just get back to that salad, shall we? I'd roasted the beets earlier in the day, skinned them, and then quartered them. Then, I refrigerated them. The recipe didn't say to chill them, but I figure a "salad" is cold, right? So, here's how it looked when I added the dressing and sunflower seeds, and served it up.

I was feeling pretty smug about having pulled weeds up out of the yard and serving them for dinner. It was a lot like the feeling I get when I find a great bargain at Goodwill. Here's what The Google told me about their nutritional value: 

"Being in the brassica family, bittercress has many health benefits. It contains glucosinolates which are known to help remove carcinogens from the body. It also contains vitamin C, beta-carotine, and possibly lutein which is known to help reduce vision problems including cataracts."

So there you go. And they are prolific enough that nobody should go hungry this winter here at the Three Cats Ranch...except cats. Cats do not like greens. Please add in some mouse if you're making this for cats. Oh yes, and if you're interested, here's a link to the original recipe. I've rewritten it for my American friends who, like me, don't understand measurements from the Metric system. Also, we don't call them "beetroot." To us, they are just "beets." And the salad was good! The bittercress tastes peppery like arugula.


Hairy Bittercress and Roasted Beet Salad
adapted from Eatweeds
Serves 2

Ingredients:

4 beets
1/4 cup sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons hazelnut oil or olive oil
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1/2 cup hairy bittercress, loosely packed
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

Wash the beets and roast in a covered baking dish for 50-60 minutes until tender when pierced with a skewer.

Spread the seeds out on a baking tray and toast in the oven with the beets for 5 minutes when they should be lightly browned.

Whisk the maple syrup, oil and vinegar together.

While the beets are still warm, slip skins off. Halve, quarter, and then halve each quarter. Chill for later use.

Mix all the ingredients together in a bowl. Have a taste, you need to get the balance right between the salt, sweet and acidic flavors. Adjust accordingly if they are not quite correct. 

* * * * *


Okay, so that's where things stand. We're back to heavy rain today. It's a good day for sitting at the machine and quilting the Fancy Cats.

8 comments:

Barbara said...

A good garden may have some weeds. ~ Thomas Fuller

Sara said...

You had me a fresh roasted beets! Looks yummy!

Jenny said...

They are known as "beetroot" here in New Zealand. We usually have them for salads too, but sometimes they are served hot as a veggie, usually in a restaurant. You have every right to feel virtuous for preparing a salad using "weeds", especially if it all tastes good.

MissPat said...

Ah, yes, during black walnut pick up, I've noticed the hairy bittercress making it's presence known, but mine are still pretty small, so I think I'll pass on using them as a salad ingredient. I like the motif you're using on the cats quilt.
Pat

QueenB said...

Barbara, I like the quilting on the cats you are currently doing tey look great. The salad looks good and I am glad it was tasty. It is good to be able to use those plant which we may call weeds in other times. Love seeing what the kitties get up to.

Christine said...

Well!!! I never knew they were edible to humans!!
I used to have a good selection until we had the chickens, once I found out they were chicken fodder..... May just try them out if any have managed to survive.
It's a bit wet outside ATM so not foraging weather.....

piecefulwendy said...

Just the thought of beets made my mouth water. I have no idea if we have that bittercress in our yard, so now I'm curious. Perhaps November 10th should be Show Off the Roof Day at Three Cats - an annual photo day. Haha.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Don't think I've ever seen bittercress in our garden, when we had one that is. I remember my mother planting watercress when I was a kid and I thought it was the grossest stuff imaginable.
I'm due for the big Squash in a couple of weeks too. Not looking forward to going into the den of germs at the hospital to have it done but needs must.