Free Day Friday

It's good to be nearing the end of this hectic week. I had so many places to be, and then the roofers were here, making it all sort of stressful. Yesterday was the day for my monthly pedicure, which was very nice. Still, it meant driving to the salon and fighting traffic. I made two stops on the way home for convenience sake. Living a fair distance from anything, no trip into town is wasted on just one errand. By the time I got home, I was ready for a nice long nap. Mike headed into town in the opposite direction, and so the house was quiet. With no roofers pounding on things, I could settle in with my Warmie and take a much-needed snooze and cuddle with my kitties. (Kitties like the Warmie too.)

Before I left, I had some time to work on the Kitty Cat Alphabet (my name for it). I stitched up the entirety of the first hooping, and then moved my hoop to the right.

Aren't they fun? I'm going to turn this into a little wall hanging for the Mewseum. I happen to know I have a perfect fabric for finishing it off. There's still a lot of stitching to do though, so don't look for that anytime soon.

The roofers weren't here yesterday, which means it will probably be another week before the roof is finished. Before I left home, I snapped a picture from the front of the house. You can see there's just a little bit left to finish on the right side of the house, and then the two small roofs on either side where the greenhouse window and the front porch are. 

Those areas are all prepped, and the waterproofing "stuff" laid down. Fortunately, they didn't have to remove the old roof to install the new one, and so weather isn't an issue right now. I'd just like to have it finished so I can stop thinking about it.

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I was on the hunt for some chanterelle mushrooms when I was out on Wednesday. I found some nice ones...very fresh-looking...at Whole Foods. That meant Chanterelle Mushroom Risotto for dinner last night. Chanterelles are hard to come by, and they are only available for a short while in the fall, and so this dinner is quite a treat when we can find them.

It's made with red chard, bacon, and onions, in addition to the chanterelles and Arborio rice. I wrote a tutorial about how to make this dish way back in 2011, and you can find the recipe there. And that was a delicious way to end the day.

This morning I'll get back to my slow-stitching and try to get the next round of cats stitched up. There's one housekeeping chore on my to-do list, but then, it will be nothing but sewing. I should be able to finish up the last of the blocks for the City Bank quilt. That will open up a slot on my WIPs list, and I can choose something new to work on. What will it be? What will it be? It's always exciting to start something new.


Barbara said...

My mom taught me how to sew when I was 2 or 3, so I've been sewing for as long as I can remember. ~ Serena Williams

Julierose said...

Your "Mewseum" is so adorable--you have the perfect spot to highlight your lovely Purr-ctures...That kitty alphabet is looking adorable so far...
Hope your weekend is a sew-ful one...hugs, Julierose

Siggy Bee said...

Do you know where the Kitty Cat Alphabet is available? I would love to stitch one! So cute!

piecefulwendy said...

Oh, what will the next project be? Curious minds, you know. Glad you were able to have your risotto, it looks delicious! Those kitty alphabets are so fun!

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Glad you were able to find the mushrooms and the risotto looks tasty. Looking forward to seeing what comes up next on your dance card!

Vicki W said...

I'm with you on getting stuff done. I like getting things taken care of but I just wish it was kind of magic instead of lots of people around. It messes with my hermit existence!