9/12/21

Hanging Out in Green River

I'm up early this morning, and so I'll get a post off before we leave for Goblin Valley State Park. I'm looking forward to that. We didn't check the weather when we arrived to see which would be the coolest day. As it turns out, we chose wisely. It will be significantly cooler today than yesterday. And yesterday, there was quite a rain storm that blew through. So...a happy accident we chose to wait a day before going.

As for yesterday morning, we left the kitties in the most comfortable seats in the house. I think they just wanted us to go so they could get in some good nap time.

It was a short walk to the restaurant. This was the view from our table. That's the Green River, and the town's namesake.

The Indian fry bread was everything I hoped it would be. Nicely fried and not greasy. It was served with some strawberry jam and some honey butter. It seemed as if I should eat something healthy along with it, and so I had some fresh strawberries and pineapple topped with yogurt and granola. Not usually my first choice for breakfast, but it made me feel as if I'd canceled out the fry bread.

My friend Wanda asked if the fry bread was like the elephant ears they serve at state fairs. It is a lot like that, except that it isn't usually served with sugar sprinkled over. It's more like a deep fried biscuit. You eat it like a slice of pizza, and usually it is spread with butter and honey or jam. So yummy.

Back at the RV, I read the few articles I'd pulled from different resources telling us what sorts of things we can do during our state park visit tomorrow. I was looking at the map and realized how centrally located we are to a number of national parks: Canyonlands, and Arches are very close. Also Capitol Reef, Zion, and Bryce. And that doesn't include the many state parks and national monuments. It's a beautiful area, and a good place for a road trip that will take in some incredible landscapes.

I've circled where we're staying in red in the image above. The green circle is where Goblin Valley State Park is located. It's about a 50-mile drive from where we are. Thus, our early start.

Smitty got out for a walk yesterday. He was very brave. We saw a man with a woofie, which set our teeth on edge. And then someone rode by on an ATV. He didn't panic, and he didn't try to run. 

Instead, he just wandered over and sat next to our satellite dish. You can see it is inscribed with the brand name, "King." Smitty was certain it was a monument to him. One can only imagine how hard it is for a cat of his stature to remain humble. In fairness, the "King" is preceded by an arrow pointing directly at Smitty. He rests his case.

He sampled some of the Utah grass. One must be careful in Utah. It is not a legal state. It would be purrfectly furrightful if someone ended up in the pawnitentiary. (My apologies to my Facebook and Instagram friends who have to put up with my dumb jokes more than once.)

After such courage, he was rewarded with some Treats of Valor for his effort. Sadie received her Treats of Condolence.

There was enough laundry to do a load, and it seemed as good a time as any. While I was waiting for the washer and dryers to time out, I spent some time on my slow-stitching. I stitched enough of the bottom to decide to move my hoop.

Now the unfinished part is encompassed in my hoop, and I'll spend a while on this latitude and longitude. There is a lot of stitching on this one.

Smitty had yesterday's shift helping me with my post. Today Sadie is on the job.

If we're going to get an early start, then it's time for me to get going. I'll tell you about the state park in tomorrow's post. I should mention here, before I forget, that our next stop will be in a Colorado State Park. State Parks are notorious for their poor internet connection capabilities. They almost never (probably never) have wi-fi, and often, there is poor cell service as well. If you don't hear from me for a few days, don't worry. I'll be back as soon as I can get a good signal. 

6 comments:

Barbara said...

I had to live in the desert before I could understand the full value of grass in a green ditch. ~ Ella Maillart

Gail in Vegas said...

The thimbles you are embroidering are lovely! So approiate for a prolific stitched like you😊

Gail in Vegas said...

Between my misspelling and Google's idea of having fun by changing words, my comment will be a challenge to read :(.

Darlene S said...

Sounds like a purrfect day. Even the kitties had fun. I look forward to hearing your thoughts on Goblin State Park. Just sounds spooktacular. I also hope you get more Indian Fried Bread before you move on.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

The fry bread looks yummy. I'm sure it would be a favorite of mine too.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Wish you could send a taste of that Fried Bread - anything with the word 'bread' involved always perks me up. It certainly looks tasty.