8/25/21

Update on Smitty


Mr. Smitty was seen by the vet this morning. The vet seemed confident that this is a reactivation of Feline Herpes Virus (FHV). Apparently this is common among cats. Indeed, my Google search indicated it is present in approximately 90% of the cat population. Like the herpes virus that humans get when they get chickenpox, it lives dormant in the cat's body. In 46 years of cat ownership, I have never heard this before. In any case, his symptoms are classic for the disease, and it can be reactivated when the cat undergoes a stressful experience, i.e., having his teeth cleaned. He has been given both antibiotics and probiotics. The probiotics should help his diarrhea, and the antibiotics are to prevent any secondary bacterial infection from starting up. Feeling a little more optimistic, but I will be even happier when he's feeling better. He actually seems perkier since we got him home, and that image was taken just a few minutes prior to writing this update. You can find more information about FHV right here.

Okay, so we’re both feeling a little better about Smitty’s prognosis. Mike went with me in a separate car. He was thinking he had a haircut appointment this morning. As it turns out, it’s later this afternoon. So, he took Smitty home, and I finished up the grocery shopping. And now that’s done. I’m happy to say I won’t have to go out again for the rest of the week. I’m Jonesing for some sewing time, and that’s how I’m planning to spend most of my afternoon. 

Thanks, everyone for your well-wishes and purrs. Smitty and the rest of us here at the Three Cats Ranch were all touched by your concern.

21 comments:

Barbara said...

Glitter is the herpes of craft supplies. ~ Demetri Martin

Vroomans' Quilts said...

So glad that Smitty is doing better and you have a diagnosis/prognosis to the whole nightmare.

murphysranch said...

So very glad he's on the mend. Smooches.

Janarama said...

I was so sad to hear that Smitty wasn't feeling well. I was really worried about him. Happy to see he's feeling better today. Hope he's back to his normal self real soon.

Lyndsey said...

Hi Smitty, Casso here. I'm pleased you are looking and hopefully feeling a little better. That picture in the previous post had me fully stressed out. Mom told me that your mom is very sensible and had got an appointment at the vet for you. Great stuff, I hope it wasn't too awful for you. Those vets prod and poke you in all sorts of places and what they do with that furmometer thing is beyond belief but they are very good at getting us cats back on our paws again. Look after yourself and I'm sure Sadie will take over all sewing duties required for a while. Poor thing, she looks completed shredded out with worry about you.

Cathy Smith said...

Glad to have the update! I hope you do realize that Smitty and Sadie are our cats, too :-) Good to see that he is on the mend!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Happy to see the update, and so glad Smitty seems better already! Tell him I can relate, as I've been going through some stressful times with my elderly mom and just for fun had an outbreak of shingles. No fun.

Darlene S said...

I'm glad you were able to get sweet Smitty to the vet so quickly. I hope the anti/pro-biotics work quickly and he soon feels his purrfect self.

Carroll W said...

As a regular reader of your blog, a cat lover big time, sometime quilter and cross stitcher, I was distressed by Smitty's health issues. I hope his new regimen of meds will help him improve and get him back to his old hunky self. We are all pulling for him. Isn't it interesting how invested we can become in those we'll perhaps never meet in person but feel like we know so intimately. Prayers for all of you.

JoannU said...

Smitty, so glad you are feeling better! Take your medicine and get lots of naps and pets. Your hoomans were worried...

Betty said...

Good news! Extra treats and snuggles for Smitty and a glass of wine for his mom!

Nancy said...

Great news! I am so glad he is a little perkier. I am sure his meds will help.

Cathy said...

Oh my. I’m glad I could read both of today’s posts at once so I didn’t have to worry about Smitty. I guess even sexy mancats get sick now and then. So glad to hear that he is doing better. Vet visits are definitely stressful for our furkids; I haven’t broken it to Darla and Alfie that they’re due for their annual visit next month. Healing purrs to Smithers….

CA Bobbie said...

Great news. So agree with Carroll W- sending lots of snuggles to both kitties aand big sighs for their people...

Anonymous said...

So pleased to hear the good news for all of you and especially Smitty. We have had cats for over forty years as well and had not heard of this affliction.
Happy recovery!

Min in British Columbia

Tilly said...

Happy to hear Smitty is doing better, give him a big hug.

Robin said...

I'm so happy to see that pic! Glad Smitty is perking up. I'd appreciate, when he's fully recovered, you give him a good 'talking to' for giving me more grey hair! Ok, really glad he's on the mend. We need our Three Cats Ranch cats in good order.

piecefulwendy said...

I'm so happy to hear that he is perking up and the meds are doing their thing. Is this something that will crop up again, so he has to be watched when he goes in for teeth cleaning, etc.? (I haven't read your link yet, so maybe it explains that in there.) I'm sure you're breathing a big sigh of relief. How is Sadie doing? Is she better now that Smitty is home and feeling a bit better?

Jenny said...

So pleased that the vet made a quick diagnosis which is easily treatable. I'd heard of this condition but didnt realise that most cats habour it. I'm sure you are spoiling Smitty and making his recuperation time nice and comfy.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I've heard of this condition and I'm so sorry Smitty has it, but at least the vet was able to give him some medication that will help. Special skritches from me, please!

ytsmom said...

Poor Smitty! I hope he is back to normal soon. Maybe Sadie can administer some purrst aid!