8/22/21

Two Kinds of Redwork

Today I will demonstrate two kinds of redwork. There's the kind most people think of when hearing this term:


For my slow stitching yesterday morning, I hand-stitched the binding to finish off this Quilt Shop Redwork project. It ends up at 18 x 23 inches. This pattern was designed by Cathy Parker of Quilting Bee Designs. It was a part of a redwork series she designed. I wanted to make just this one block, but you can find more of her work right here

I found that thimble fabric when we were down south last winter. We were staying in Laughlin, Nevada, and we'd spent the day at Oatman, Arizona, where wild donkeys roam the streets. 


At the end of the day, we stopped off at Roxy's Quilt & Sew, in Fort Mojave, Arizona,


where I picked up 3 yards on sale for $21. I had in mind to use it for this quilt, and I'd only just started on the hand-embroidery.


So imagine my surprise when I visited Cathy Parker's website at Quilting Bee Designs and found this redwork pattern called Grandma's Thimbles:


Whoa. Well, I need another embroidery pattern like I need another hole in my head, but you know...I still have a lot of that thimble fabric left over. Might as well, right? Yeah, so I snapped that up. It was available as a pdf download and in other formats as well.

So...anyway...(tangential as always), here's how it looks from the back.


As for the second kind of redwork, the rest of the day was filled with dread at the coming tomato wars. I drove over to Working Hands Farm and picked up 60 lbs. of tomatoes. I'll be battling these for at least the next three days. They are beautiful, but they will soon go under the knife. In a few hours you'll find me roasting, skinning, slicing, boiling, stirring, ladling, filling, and processing. It's a whole lot of work, but I sure love the pasta sauce that comes from it.


Just picking up the tomatoes from the farmers was all I could face in a single day. They're sitting in my laundry room awaiting their fate. I'll include at least a few of these for one more batch of salsa too, and then we'll just see how many quarts of pasta sauce can be created from 60 lbs. of tomatoes. Any guesses? 

I was disheartened to find one of the red bell peppers I needed for the salsa was pretty well on its way to rotten. We purchased it just the other day, but all the peppers looked old, and we had a hard time picking any that weren't looking long in the tooth. This one apparently was better at hiding its age than others. Also, I had a bunch of cilantro I was planning to use, but it too had turned into a swamp thing. It meant another trip into town to supplement the additional items I needed for the salsa. It's all worth it...especially when I'm finished and I'm able to spend my hours gazing at those beautiful ruby jars lining my pantry shelves.

Okay, so after a full day of tomato dread, I spent some time on my other slow-stitching project. This is plate #8 for Pieces of the Past. And, yes, I was already wearing my pajamas...cat pajamas, if you must know. And I had a cat for this. He was working hard soothing my tomato angst.


I've stitched enough now that I'll move my hoop to the left. As for those green lines emanating from the yellow flower...here's my story. This plate was on a sheet with some other designs for tracing. I inadvertantly had the sheet folded as I started tracing, and I picked up those lines from a different design. I'd already traced too much of it to start over, and so I decided to leave them. 


I guess they're stems...or maybe a ribbon...or something. I don't really care what they're called, but there they are. It was a design decision. Yes, that's it...not a mistake...a design decision. You wouldn't have known if I hadn't told you, would you?

With Smitty nestled between my legs, Sadie had full run of the catio. We found her perched on the catwalk in the waning afternoon sunlight.


Okay, so it's Sunday morning, and that can mean only one thing: Blueberry Oatmeal Pancakes. And then some slow-stitching. And then, there's no way around it. I'll be tackling tomato tonnage today. (Awesome Alliteration.)

18 comments:

Barbara said...

I love all things, not only the grand but the infinitely small: thimble, spurs, plates, flower vases..... ~ Pablo Neruda

Quilter Kathy said...

SO much creative energy going on at your place! Love the redwork finish, and the other redwork beginning.... enjoy!

Nancy said...

I have not even thought of doing our tomatoes this year and after yesterday’s battle of the green beans I am considering store bought sauce. My daughters and I processed 30 pounds of green beans for our three families. Thar is more green bens than should be attempting in one day.

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

I love redwork and the thimbles design is fun! The red thimble fabric was meant to be. Enjoy your tomato day!

Lyndsey said...

Best of luck with tomato gate. I think I'll just buy some when I need it. I am being such a wimp this year. Love the little quilt shop quilt and the thimble fabric is very cute.

Created by Kathi said...

Glad you snagged that 3 yard sale of thimble fabric... YES you need to make the thimble quilt too... I love your lovely addition of feathers in your quilt shop quilting... so elegant a finish... would love to be able to free hand feathers like you do all different sizes... we all have our sweet spots and doing redwork and hand embroidery is yours! I needed a edgeing idea for a pin cushion I am fashioning with LOTS of lined up french knots... I will borrow your zig zag idea for every other one as you have and see what I can fashion :) Thanks for linking to Kathy's so I found you ... will see if I can follow you... First time visitor but not the last... I like your style! Kathi

Sarah said...

That thimble fabric was just crying out for a redwork thimble project! It had to be done LOL. Those tomatoes look delicious but I can understand why you feel weary at the prospect of all that preparation but you will reap the rewards!

Karrin Hurd said...

Love your redwork and that thimble fabric! I can see what you are pooped with all those tomatoes! Happy stitching!

Sandra W said...

I always look forward to your canning adventures. I used to do a little canning but living in an apartment with limited storage was always a problem. I have since donated my canning supplies.
The thimble embroidery with matching fabric is very nice. And absolutely a "must do" for you.
An electric bike. Can you post a photo? Sounds like a good idea.

CathieJ said...

Wow, that is a whole lot of tomatoes. I don't think I will ever actually choose to do that much canning. I don't like the process at all. I imagine the sauce and salsa are quite tasty though. I love your redwork stitching and that pretty thimble fabric. Your embroidery is pretty also.

Quilting Babcia said...

I'd be tempted to call those green lines hairline cracks on a much loved antique family platter, the kind we save for special occasions and handle gently because we don't want their memories destroyed. They're the ones we'll hand down to the one child who treasures all the old family history and will eventually pass them down to yet another generation. And that thimble fabric and your new redwork pattern will make a wonderful companion to the quilt shop ladies.

QuiltGranma said...

Lots of beautiful reds! No down time for you, my girl!

MissPat said...

Well, of course you needed to download the thimble redwork. After all you have the perfect sashing, border and background fabric. I don't envy you the canning task. I used to can tomatoes, sauce, chili sauce, pickles, and zucchini relish, but I couldn't muster the energy to do it today. We'll see you when you re-surface from the cauldron.
Pat

Rebecca said...

Design Decision or as I like to call it Design on the Flyby.....

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Wow - that's sorta a lotta tomatoes!!! Methinks there's going to be a lot of 'bubble, bubble, toil and trouble' happening in your kitchen over the next day (or several!). I do miss the days when I did a lot of canning and truthfully I miss it. Apartment life means no area for cool storage so I rarely do much anymore. Just a few jars here and there.

piecefulwendy said...

Well, that thimble fabric and the thimble embroidery was serendipity for sure! I was wondering what other kind of redwork you were going to show - haha! You got me, hadn't even thought of the tomatoes. Hope the processing went well.

Darlene S said...

Beautiful stitchery and your thimble project is absolutely you. I love all of your stitchery projects. I think those tomatoes are going to keep you busy. BTW - Your toesies look super cute.

Susan said...

Ooooo thats a lot of hard work you have done. But its rewarding when you eat it so much tastier that bought ones. Cats always love helping with stitching! You also need lots of time to recover from all the hard work. So pj's and stitching is the way to go! I have lots of redwork stitching to do!