2/17/21

Oatman, Arizona

We had a fun little visit to Oatman yesterday. When we left the RV, Sadie was waiting for the morning sunshine to warm her furry little body.


It was only about a half-hour's drive from the RV park. Along the way, we passed by the only quilt shop I know of in Fort Mojave. Once again, I was enthralled by the scenery.


Some of the hillsides were speckled with yucca plants.



Shortly before arriving in Oatman, we passed by this sign.


Soon after, we arrived.


Here's a little information about the place. You can read more at this link right here.


It's a little like Tombstone, Arizona, only smaller and less populated. The main street was paved.


We're just about to see some burros, but let's just get the rules straight first, shall we? There was burro food for sale in some of the shops, but they would appreciate it if you didn't feed them in front of their businesses. Indeed, the burros are like any horse...leaving their "droppings" wherever they go.


We came upon this first one. I wanted to get his picture, and waited approximately 10 minutes while two people took picture after picture, including selfies with the burro, until I was afraid I was going to have to shove them out of the way. They glanced warily in my direction, and then moved on. Hm...was it that obvious? Anyway...I give you this fine fellow.


These two appeared to be mother and child. The little one had a sign taped to his forehead that said not to feed him anything.


We were treated to a gunfight on the main drag, which is Route 66 going straight through town. It backed up traffic while it was going on. The burros seemed disinterested. I imagine they are grateful to have the attention drawn away from them for just a few minutes.


We walked from one end of town to another. At the link I've given you back there, you can read about Olive Oatman, who is entrenched in western lore as a woman who was kidnapped by an Indian tribe, then sold to a friendly local tribe before being freed to her family near what became Oatman. I don't know if the story is true, but it sounds plausible.


The post office is right here, if you need to mail a letter or buy some stamps. Go ahead. I'll wait.


The sidewalks are still the original boardwalks, and I suppose those railings could double as hitching posts.


Some of the signs of the businesses amused us.



I would like to have done more snooping through the stores, but only did window shopping. When I peeked through the window of a shop selling shot glasses and refrigerator magnets, I donned my mask and went inside. There, I saw this sweatshirt. I tried to talk Mike into a "jackass" t-shirt, but he refused. I think he will regret this for the rest of his life, don't you?



We only stayed about an hour, and then headed back to the RV. As we left, this fellow came moseying along. I rolled down the window to get his picture, and he came right to the window. When I didn't have any junk food to give him, he walked on.


So, ordinarily, I'm interested in the flat photographic refrigerator magnets, but sometimes I go for something more cutesy like this:


You might remember this one I picked up when we visited Angel's Camp in Calaveras County, home of the frog-jumping contest.


And you know it's a good day when you can find both a refrigerator magnet AND a shot glass. Ta-da!


Okay, and on the way back, we stopped off at the quilt shop. I've visited this quilt shop before, and so I'm not writing a whole post about it. If you want to know more about Roxy's Quilt & Sew, you can read about it right here. It's a very friendly shop, and they had a lot of good end-of-bolt sales just inside the door. I didn't see anything in particular there, but then noticed this red and white thimble fabric. $7 per yard is a pretty good price, and so I picked it up. I might use this with my current redwork piece. It could be a border and a back, but I'd still have quite a bit left over. I'm sure I'll find something to do with it.


I kind of had a yen for these lemon pudding cakes, and so I mixed and baked them when we got back to the RV. We had them for dessert last night. You can find the recipe for these right here. The recipe makes four, but I make half to turn it into a dessert for two.


The kitties haven't used their catio much at this location. There are too many people and woofies walking by. They go in and out a lot at night though, and Sadie spent some time out there early this morning.


Today we'll be making a trip to the grocery store, and we'll probably go take a look at the RV park by the river to see if it's a place we might consider for a future trip. This morning's inchy has been posted now, so I'll get to work on that next. I hope y'all are thawing out in this crazy winter weather. We watched some of the footage on the news last night, and they're saying another storm is on the way. Stay warm and safe, my friends.

11 comments:

Barbara said...

There is a deep sense in which we are all ghost towns. We are all haunted by the memory of those we love, those with whom we feel we have unfinished business. While they may no longer be with us, a faint aroma of their presence remains, a presence that haunts us until we make our peace with them and let them go. The problem, however, is that we tend to spend a great deal of energy in attempting to avoid the truth. We construct an image of ourselves that seeks to shield us from a confrontation with our ghosts. Hence we often encounter them only late at night, in the corridors of our dreams. ~ Peter Rollins

MissPat said...

It appears most of the spectators at the"gunfight" were unmasked. Are you finding that true when you go out (other than the trails which seem to be fairly people free)? I'm going to check out those lemon pudding cakes. I love lemon cakes almost as much as chocolate.
Pat

Quilting Babcia said...

Those lemon and blueberry cakes look mighty delicious. I'll try to remember long enough to copy the recipe for future use. Oatman looks like a fun place to visit.

Dorothy said...

I would have bought the store out of those sweatshirts--and then given them to all of my friends :-) Loved the the spotted burro. Thanks for another side trip

Jerilea Hendrick said...

Thanks for taking us along on a virtual vacation around the US....I've enjoyed the journey, but the donkeys and their signs are my favorite. A friend of ours has trained donkeys that play baseball. No really, they do.

piecefulwendy said...

As much as I really don't like blizzards and freezing temps, I sure wish I could lasso the southern weather and bring it here, where we have the things in place to deal with it. It's so sad to see what they are going through. Oatman looks like a fun little diversion. I would've had to stop in the turquoise shop, I think. I like the thimble fabric, and I'm sure you'll find good use for it. I'm off to check out that recipe!

Lyndsey said...

That was a very interesting post and I'm really enjoying your trip. That thimble fabric is very cute and right now I'd love an in person visit to a quilt shop. Online shopping is all very well but it doesn't satisfy the need to stroke fabrics before I buy.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

This was so much fun to read! I enjoyed seeing the burros and must admit I'd love a ride in that wonderful red truck! To say nothing about wanting to peek into those shops. Your new fabric looks like fun and that dessert - oh, yum!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for bringing fun memories of our visit to Oatman. The land scape is beautiful, although at for a while we thought the road would never get us there. Love you blog kitties and your beautiful sewing and quilting. Thanks, Dawn Lessor

Cat Patches said...

Barbara, We love, love, love the town of Oatman, Arizona. Thanks so much for sharing pictures of the wild donkeys, burros, etc. We were just thinking it would be so cool to get a little donkey. We already have 3 deer who have moved onto the areas we cleared out for 2 horse pastures--will have to see how it goes. Glad to see the cats along, so you must be on the road for a while. Take care, Ruthie

Cat Patches said...

Love the Peter Rollins quote!