7/11/21

Nearly Normal

We spent the day unpacking and getting caught up on yard work. I can't remember if I mentioned it in yesterday's post, but the cherry tree is still going great guns. There was one spot on the tree that looked as if some deer had imbibed, but mostly, the cherries were as we left them...only now they are perfectly ripe. Just take a look at these beauties we picked yesterday.


I've weighed out portions to make some sweet cherry pie filling and some more cherries in syrup today. But it seems like we should eat some of the fresh ones, doesn't it? I whomped up this Cast Iron Skillet Cherry Crisp. The recipe is from Kroger. Oh my gosh...fresh cherries are so tasty.


We picked way more than I needed for my canning and baking. Mike took the remainder around to the neighbors, Cherry Fairy style. He probably needs some sort of costume, don't you think?

Also on the to-do list was to hoe the garden. It had been about a week since the last time I'd done it, and it wasn't too bad. I use a hula hoe and just chop them off at ground level. After several weeks of that, there are fewer and fewer weeds, and the job goes much faster. The sunflowers are starting to bloom now. I have about a dozen different varieties. The one below is called "Infrared."


I showed this one yesterday, but it wasn't fully opened yet. It's called "Red Lemon." The bees are especially fond of it.


I've been chomping at the bit to get the Beary Patch quilt finished. Yesterday, I sandwiched it on my sewing table, which some people might use for playing ping pong. Ordinarily I'm sandwiching quilts on my sawhorse and plywood table in the garage. If the quilt has no sides longer than 60 inches, I can do it in my sewing room. This one took up the whole space. It was my first time sandwiching a larger quilt since breaking my shoulder back in December. I worried that the reaching and smoothing might give me trouble. I winced a couple of times, but really, no big deal. That was very reassuring because I have about a dozen large quilts that will need sandwiching before summer is over. 

So here's Mr. Bear.


Also on the shoulder-challenge circuit...quilting. I have the whole center bear "panel" quilted now. I did a diagonal grid.


Here's how it looks from the back.


Today I'm hoping to finish the borders and get the binding sewn on by machine. It's headed for the finish line, for sure.

The kitties spent some time getting reacquainted yesterday. I was worried Mr. Territorial might forget he had a friend back home, but he was very sweet to her. She rubs up against him, which spreads the Catrona virus, don't you know. Sometimes he nips her ears, but yesterday, he allowed it. They were both fully vaccinated just before we left on our little getaway.


As she walked away, he even gave her a loving gaze. Very generous for this mancat.


Finally, I filled my hoop for the third time during yesterday's slow stitching session. This section took me to the extreme right of the piece. 


There's still plenty to do to the north of this section, and so that's where I'll head next. But first...Sunday morning blueberry oatmeal pancakes. We missed our Sunday morning pancakes when we left last week. We were keeping things simple that morning. Mike started talking about pancakes yesterday. It's an addiction.

Thanks to all who have stopped by to enter the giveaway. It's nice to hear from some of you who don't often leave comments. It's good hearing of your travel and summer weather plans, and all the other little tidbits you've shared. Today I'm doing some more canning, and there will be a little more tomorrow. When that's finished, I'll get back to my quilting. Hoping to get the bear finished today or tomorrow. 

12 comments:

Barbara said...

Under a cherry tree, all burdens of life fly away! ~ Mehmet Murat Ildan

Sher S. said...

Love seeing Mr. Bear almost finished. He is really cute. I follow you on FaceBook and I get it in my email. Your sunflowers are really interesting, didn't know they came is different varieties. Our summer is the rainy season in Florida, not much fun with heat, rain, and humidity.

Julierose said...

I love that diagonal quilting on cute Mr. Bear!!
That cherry crisp looks luscious...I don't have an iron skillet but will give it a try in a pottery oven safe dish (?).

Those sunflowers are so pretty..I like that Red Lemon one a lot...

Glad your shoulder is able to withstand layering and some quilting now;)))
that is good news...hugs, Julierose

QUILTING IS BLISSFUL, DI said...

It's so funny--as I woke up this morning--I was wondering if there was any cherries left on your trees!!!!
Glad the kitties are still friends and it looks like they really missed each other!
And I love those sunflowers--how pretty--
luv, di

Lee said...

I did make our blueberry banana pancakes this morning! So good! Your cherries look delicious!

Katie said...

I promise I read the rest, but I want a Cherry Fairy costume to be on your list for use this time next year! Do you think he'd wear it? I'm giggling a lot just thinking about this. And hoping your hubby might be more of a sport than mine, who is quite good at rolling his eyes...

Magpie's Mumblings said...

How I wish I was one of your neighbours! Mike could Cherry Fairy my doorstep anytime he wants. Spectacular sunflowers and the bear quilt looks great.

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I had a friend be a 'blueberry fairy' with a porch drop off. Topped a waffle with them (and whipped cream). YUMMO
Love the sunflowers - the deer ate mine. What a sweet bear quilt sure to be loved.

Christine said...

Wow! Super cherries!

piecefulwendy said...

I had to go look up a hula hoe; that's a nifty gadget! I copied the link for the cherry crisp. Your little bear quilt is coming along nicely, and I'm glad your shoulder is handling it well! Kitties are cute as ever!

kc said...

That's how looks interesting..I've nevervseen one like that before. How is it on your back? And your shoulder is ok with it too? Those cherries are beautiful!

I have an OLD ufo, in fact, you may remember seeing it!, that has piano keys borders. I'm eager to see how you treat them on teddy.

Kate said...

Those cherries do look good. So glad you got to enjoy them this year, after missing them so often while on your travels. Glad your healing injuries aren't going to hamper your quilting. Sounds like Sadie might be a bit sad she didn't go along.